Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Forged of Blood - turn-based tactical fantasy RPG

Zanzoken

Arcane
Saved for later

joesys

Critical Forge
Patron
Developer
Hi Everyone,

This is Joe from Critical Forge, working on Forged of Blood.

First, I would like to say a quick thank you for the kind welcome here. I was a lurker here and, to be honest, various (heated) discussions about what makes an "incline" an incline influences my thinking quite a bit. If you like what you read about us, we are very humbled and nervous about the attention we get. If you don't like how the game turns out, you can blame it all on me.

As mentioned, we are targeting a 2018 release, so the journey is still long. As a new studio without a track record, I understand the skepticism and it falls on us to prove that we can accomplish what we set out to do.

My friend, Igor (CrittiestBunny) will come up and say hi later. I think he has something special to share with the codexians.

In the mean time, if you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Excited to be here,
-Joe

joesys

Critical Forge
Patron
Developer
Shouldn't it be Forged From Blood instead of 'of'?

Sounds weird.

As to why "Forged of Blood" rather than "Forged from Blood", you use "from" when you are altering the source material and you use "of" when you use the source material. For instance, a table is made of wood because it is still wood while paper is made from wood because it is no longer wood. Another example would be glass is made from sand but windows are made of glass.

In this case, we want to evoke a feeling that in the midst of chaos and war (bloodshed), the player will forge something out of it. The bloodshed will be the figurative foundation upon which the empire is founded. I will let Igor to talk more about it in the coming weeks.

There is also another anecdote. When we debated the game name a few months ago, Forged in Blood was actually a strong contender to the current name. However, at that time, forgedinblood.com would have cost us roughly USD 2,000 and we did not think it is worth spending such a big amount on a domain name while forgedofblood.com was available for your usual $15.

As I checked it today, just to make sure I got my facts right, forgedinblood.com is actually available. Guess who is the new owner now?

Thanks,
-Joe

joesys

Critical Forge
Patron
Developer
It's great to be in a time when just about every few weeks I hear about a new CRPG that at the very least shows some potential.

• Science in Magic: Explore the freedom and mysteries of one of the most complex and unique magic systems ever attempted in video games.

I'm curious what they mean by this exactly. A craft-your-own-spells type of magic system, or something a la Sympathy in Kingkiller Chronicles?

This is quite a big topic that we should leave for a blog post in the future.

In general, you have a certain "effects" (such as. Range, Power, Length, Width) that you can combine to make a "spell" as you determine.

A long range "Firebolt" might be assigned Range 20, Power 10, Length 1, Width 1
A Fireball might be assigned Range 10, Power 5, Length 3, Width 3

In which:
Range determines how far the spell effect will activate
Power determines how powerful it is
Length/Width determines the area of effect. In the case of Firebolt, it's just 1 sq. In the case of Fireball, it is a circle with diameter of 3.

I started with the simplest example for clarity. Hopefully, that gives some idea of what we are doing.

Thanks,
-Joe

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

In general, you have a certain "effects" (such as. Range, Power, Length, Width) that you can combine to make a "spell" as you determine.

In which:
Length/Width determines the area of effect. In the case of Firebolt, it's just 1 sq. In the case of Fireball, it is a circle with diameter of 3.

I started with the simplest example for clarity. Hopefully, that gives some idea of what we are doing.

Thanks,
-Joe

Hm, sounds like The Elder Scrolls... before the Skyrim (maybe Oblivion too) streamlining. I'd say the variety of effects is very important in this case. Otherwise it will end up feeling same-y anyways.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Shouldn't it be Forged From Blood instead of 'of'?

Sounds weird.

As to why "Forged of Blood" rather than "Forged from Blood", you use "from" when you are altering the source material and you use "of" when you use the source material. For instance, a table is made of wood because it is still wood while paper is made from wood because it is no longer wood. Another example would be glass is made from sand but windows are made of glass.

In this case, we want to evoke a feeling that in the midst of chaos and war (bloodshed), the player will forge something out of it. The bloodshed will be the figurative foundation upon which the empire is founded. I will let Igor to talk more about it in the coming weeks.

There is also another anecdote. When we debated the game name a few months ago, Forged in Blood was actually a strong contender to the current name. However, at that time, forgedinblood.com would have cost us roughly USD 2,000 and we did not think it is worth spending such a big amount on a domain name while forgedofblood.com was available for your usual $15.

As I checked it today, just to make sure I got my facts right, forgedinblood.com is actually available. Guess who is the new owner now?

Thanks,
-Joe
Maybe my English is bad but if we use your explanation and logic it should be called Forged from Blood. What you make in the end will not be made of Blood but from Blood because you used Blood of your troops to conquer lands and the lands you now own and control are not made OF Blood

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity

English language always considers forging as an alteration of the base material it seems.
And even if it were correct, "Forged of blood" sounds off and grammaticaly wrong...

Last edited:

Mazisky

Magister
Finally, after years of 4x clones bombardment, someone decided to bring Xcom\Ja2 playstyle in a fantasy settings. It's about time.

Really interesting, hope the best for you guys!

CritiestBunny

Critical Forge
Developer
Woah - thanks so much for sharing this out, I didn't think this would go out so soon when I sent out that press release! We're really humbled by the response from you guys, and we're really grateful for some of the criticism. As Joe said, we're a small studio with no track record and some big ideas about making a game - the sort of game the started with a whole of "what ifs" and "if onlys."

A lot of the apprehension here are well-founded, and the onus falls on us to allay those fears. Speaking personally, fear and doubt are basically my bread and butter as a creative. Without it we don't progress... and with it, we stall. It's just how it is.

I'll have to cover our lofty claims about that magic system soon... Joe pretty much broke down the basic mechanics of it, but hopefully once we pull back a bit more of the curtain it might excite you guys.

Anyway, I have our latest blog update if anyone's interested. It sheds some light into the world we're setting the game in and a little bit of a rant as to the process that went into getting that world up and running.

And as a big thank you to RPG Codex here's a quick shot of one of our latest maps currently in production:

XjRZ6WC.jpg

Seriously. Thank you all so much guys, I'll keep you all updated as we go along, and please help us get the good word out if you're liking what you're seeing!

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It's great to be in a time when just about every few weeks I hear about a new CRPG that at the very least shows some potential.

• Science in Magic: Explore the freedom and mysteries of one of the most complex and unique magic systems ever attempted in video games.

I'm curious what they mean by this exactly. A craft-your-own-spells type of magic system, or something a la Sympathy in Kingkiller Chronicles?

In which:

Thanks,
-Joe

The good old spellcrafting from Daggerfall makes a comeback - first Tyranny and now this game.

Arulan

Cipher

In which:

Thanks,
-Joe

Thanks for the reply.

It looks interesting. My only concern is that similar systems can sometimes come across as mundane once you realize that magic essentially boils down to ranged elemental attacks of varying minor characteristics. Then again, you said this was just a simple example. I'll look forward to the blog post.

ArchAngel

Arcane

In which:

Thanks,
-Joe

Thanks for the reply.

It looks interesting. My only concern is that similar systems can sometimes come across as mundane once you realize that magic essentially boils down to ranged elemental attacks of varying minor characteristics. Then again, you said this was just a simple example. I'll look forward to the blog post.
Yea this usually what ruins "complex" spell crafting systems. If you got a teleport and fireball spell and you want to call it complex or whatever you better let players combine both so when you hit the enemy with a fireball you teleport them or yourself somewhere. Or casting a teleport releases a fireball at nearest target.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Or lets you teleport fireballs to higher elevations (which otherwise you wouldn't be able to do).

V_K

Arcane
[...]
What if I want a square with size 3?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh, seems interesting. Is there char creation, or are we just managing recruited blokes as in xcom,ja and all?

joesys

Critical Forge
Patron
Developer
Thanks for the reply.

Yea this usually what ruins "complex" spell crafting systems. If you got a teleport and fireball spell and you want to call it complex or whatever you better let players combine both so when you hit the enemy with a fireball you teleport them or yourself somewhere. Or casting a teleport releases a fireball at nearest target.

That is the idea. We want to create a system that is flexible enough that our players can come up with creative combos.

Having said that, we do not have that specific combination as we do not have teleportation. One thing we want in our game is how the magic "makes sense" in the context of the world building. If people has enough access to spell like teleportation or fly, the implication to world building and encounter design is huge. Why should I cross that bridge when I can fly/teleport over? If you ever read Brandon Sanderson books and how he develops the magic to fit into the lore, that is our inspiration for wanting a magic system that fits into the lore.

Currently, we have first pass implementation of magic system. In the coming weeks, we will be testing if the magic system is as fun as we thought it would be. Without giving too much, the combination of "effects" to make a "spell" is large enough that we would not be able to test every combination. The running joke in our studio is that, if certain game can get away with a claim of quintillion planets, can we get away with similar claim on our spells combination? Obviously, this is a joke, but you get the idea. Hopefully, when the blog post is up, it will shed more information.

Edit:
I was just being reminded that we do have a short range teleport. So yes, teleporting fireball is possible. This shows that:
a) I'm absent minded, or
b) The number of "effects" are large enough that I don't remember everything :)

Last edited:

joesys

Critical Forge
Patron
Developer
Eh, seems interesting. Is there char creation, or are we just managing recruited blokes as in xcom,ja and all?

More towards xcom/ja style in general.

Some characters, you recruit as part of the main storyline. Some characters, you go out of your way to recruit because they are notable NPC and can help you beyond tactical combat. Some characters, you recruit from "nearby bar" just because you (the player) let the your old party members died to buy you (the protagonist) time to escape, and you really need more meatshields in the upcoming battle.

Having said that, we do have character progression/level up that is a bit more extensive than XCOM. We should really write a blog post on that too.

Thanks,
-Joe

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

More towards xcom/ja style in general.

Some characters, you recruit as part of the main storyline. Some characters, you go out of your way to recruit because they are notable NPC and can help you beyond tactical combat. Some characters, you recruit from "nearby bar" just because you (the player) let the your old party members died to buy you (the protagonist) time to escape, and you really need more meatshields in the upcoming battle.

Having said that, we do have character progression/level up that is a bit more extensive than XCOM. We should really write a blog post on that too.

Thanks,
-Joe
So the protagonist will also take part in battles?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom