Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Foxhole - now available on Early Access

SmartCheetah

Arcane
I've tried both sides. The war I've picked this time - Wardens, but there was some fucked up drama with [edge] guys in chat. They were saying that QM is useless and that they are "helping" by building defenses in the base, instead of helping out on the front. I'm still learning the ropes.

[edge] creation:
https://imgur.com/a/mINEI

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There will always be the Sim City players & clan drama :)

Me and MediantSamuel play colonials. You could always join us in the next war!

Jimmious play as well, but have been busy lately.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just follow the Men of War link under this post and you will find me on Steam :)

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
The MMO patch is here! Actually it has been out for a week or two now.

With this change there is now only one big server, with one big map to conquer. This map is separated into nine pieces(I think) that can only hold so many people. But you can go from one region to another, but if there is a massive amount of players playing you might have to wait for a bit - in true MMO fashion!

So how is the gameplay now? Well, it's basically the same in general, with the same issues and so on, except that the war feels like a "real war" now. The frontlines moves back and forth, new supply chains are constantly formed and raided. It's fun to see all the players you have met, fought with, and fought against all trying to conquer the same map. It adds something special to the game instead of just randomly joining a server and duke it out for an hour or two.

The game has transformed into a hybrid of Alterac Valley from WoW and World War 2 Online. At first when I started to play with the new patch I was a bit pissed off for some reason and that can MediantSamuel confirm :cool:, but after playing for a week now the game has become a better and more involved experience.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
It's fun to follow the war dynamics in the game. Before tanks was researched you had to search up and down all over to find some kind of bazooka, HE grenade - but now that both sides have researched tanks the warehouses are filled to the brim with RPGs. Also now the fighting is no longer between infantry and the occasional half-track, now there is full blown Rommel style tank assaults going on. Trench warfare is a thing of the past and those fancy walls and foxholes only last a couple of seconds in the heat of battle.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, so entire game mechanics have simply been ruined forever? I wonder how the long-term design is going to cope with that?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
It is not ruined, it is supposed to work like this. The game starts out low tech and ends up like this with high tech weapons. The war eventually ends and it all starts over from zero tech again. The current war has lasted for about a week now. Last time I checked the Colonists are getting pretty close to a victory.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
It is technically possible for the war to never end. The Wardens might swing this around and the war can last another week, or even month.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
It will get even funnier when they'll eventually add other classes of tanks, tank destroyers and other things, so you won't end up with "light tank" as a pinnacle of research.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
War is over, colonists won. Yay!

BUT.

Now we (as in players) have to wait SIX days for the next conquest to start. I have never seen a dev willfully sabotage their own game like this before. When the big patch arrived they had a sale, getting a lot of new players and so on. The first conquest that started with the patch ended after 2 days, and then people had to wait for 2 days for a new one. So a lot of new guys got disinterested in the game and refunded it, because frankly "skirmish" - mode sucks. It's like an arcade version of the main event that you can play while waiting. And now, with easter coming up, holidays and such, they decide to put the conquest mode on hold for 6 god damn days... I'm at a loss of words here.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Well, they have a patch coming and didn't want to interrupt an ongoing war... like anyone would really mind a small interruption instead of having to wait 6 days. Also, another reason is that they want to make the war feel memorable instead of just starting a new one right after one finishes. Not sure how that is working out though, since now most of the player base is pissed off.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I played it a bit when it was free for a short while. What are defenses like now? I remember that the foxhole building was really OP since you could build a billion of them and the AI gunner would kill anyone that came by. That kinda drove me up the wall. I did enjoy carrying the maximum amount of ammo possible for the mortar and bombing the shit out of everything though.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
There is still AI controlled foxholes, but the whole system have changed so you can only build them close to HQ. Much more player on player battles now. Still the game is called foxhole so there will be a lot of trench fighting. When vehicles enter the fray everything changes though.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I'm glad. I really didn't like AI controlled foxholes, something that killed me was that you couldn't destroy them by using poison gas grenades. I went full explosive sapper loadout most of the time. Very fun game though. I think I might buy it on sale since I feel 20 euros might be a bit of a stretch.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Guise direct your attention to this

It will be foxhole but in FPS mode, 100 players in one battle, will play like foxhole skirmish mode, there will be building, supplies etc

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Ok, so looks like Wardens won another war(both skirmish and conquest)
This one was extra fast. I think it took us 4 or 5 days. Blitzkrieg, as none of the sides have even reached the Tanks.

Next one starts in 2 days and 19 hours. Maybe we should roll one faction and create some kind of Codex team? It was pretty sad, running just with random people because I wanted to do something more fancy like mortar/artillery crew, armor team or something.
The only good one was with those guys from 82DK (can't remember the whole clan name) when we played combat engineer squad in the beginning of the war. Most of my structures stood there until the end 8)

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Get in bois, it's starting to get real (follow the thread in general gaming)

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
If you have holding off buying this game, now is the time to put up the cash. First off, it has a big sale, 45% off and for me it only cost about 11 euros. That is basically nothing!

Also, the devs just released a huge update that changes how the frontline work now. So no more blasting random AI tents, those have been replaced by WW1 style trenches that you can connect with each other to make huge trench-networks. Pretty awesome. Added also is that the game has a simple form of cover mechanic now. So sitting behind sandbags, or in a trench give you a higher RNG chance to avoid bullets. What this mean is that firefights last a lot longer now and player versus player combat is the main event again instead of blowing up AI manned tents endlessly.

Me, MediantSamuel and Jonathan "Zee Cat had a go yesterday and it was really damn fun. It had a lot more action then previously times played, and positioning yourself now has a much larger impact on the combat overall. It's easy to get tunnel vision though, thinking you are safe in a trench when someone with a smg can easily flank and jump down and drill you full with holes. It just had this WW1 style viciousness to it. People hacking each other with bayonets, spraying people with smg's and soldiers throwing deadly gas grenades. Great fun!

AC94DAF8A6CC52DB98385040B3F2FF701E5EFB78

Foxhole combat in action, me and a couple of Wardens taking potshots at each other. Notice the shield. It's full, which means I have full protection.

A6E1A0A6A81777BFD5A12B27A448297EC62C0949

Me & MediantSamuel building a small boat to circumvent the enemy stronghold on the bridge.

8E8F03D9ADB5213AF66C4C863182407AC8AFB9FA

Jonathan "Zee Cat joined us for the "assault". It didn't last too long though. I decided in my wisdom that going under the enemy controlled bridge was a good idea. Someone screamed the enemy is here and soon the little motor on the boat was on fire. Unfortunately I didn't manage to take a pic because I was laughing too hard. I went down with the ship, and I think the other two managed to swim to the shore, but not sure :)

Anyway, if you wanna join, just hit me up on Steam. Just follow the signature link here and add me.

Last edited:

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I died was soon the boat exploded. War frontlines is not for me, i'm more of a logistics engineer person delivering shirts and bmats whatever the people need it. :dealwithit:
One thing that pisses me off on the game thought is the shit layout of half the defenses and people building foxholes and trenches on the middle of the fucking road. Pain in the ass to drive throw then.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Yeah, I read about that. People are hoping the road will be a no-go for building trenches, but I don't know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom