Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Frayed Knights Reviews

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I asked the developer on his forum and he says there are no hidden modifiers in combat. However he too has noticed bad luck streaks, so he says he's going to go over the code again to see if his math is correct in all cases. It's totally possible that sometimes the RNG just really does hate you.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh well. Thanks for clearing that up, sea. I actually enjoy hidden modifiers - like, really enjoy - so I was hoping my attempt at an explanation would prove correct. Anyway, the game has been decent so far, even if I do have some complaints; then again, I'm nowhere near the end of it.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I would have loved the game if it had character generation. I don't like being stuck with the 4 archetypes. And like Excidium I didn't like not being able to see how many monsters were in a patrol.

Well with levelling you can change their proficiency to whatever you desire although their dialogue will still be as if they were of their starting class.

Cassidy

Arcane
I'd love to play both Frayed Knights and Grimoire to make a comparative analysis, but I suppose that is impossible because I'll be outlived by Thursday.

Downloaded the demo to see if it will be fun enough for a purchase. If it's considerably better than Eschalon that means good news.

*Edit: Definitively going to buy it later. From the demo, it feels like what Anachronox would have been if it was in a fantasy rather than Sci-fi setting and with a faster blobber combat instead of JRPG slooooow stuff with excessive fancy animations, and I have a soft spot for games that don't take themselves seriously and try to take a humorous spin on the genre.

Also I don't get people complaining on the interface. It's much smoother than BaK's or Wizardries.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Cassidy said:
Also I don't get people complaining on the interface. It's much smoother than BaK's or Wizardries.
Well, it's ugly, it takes up way too much screen real estate, it's inconsistent (both visually and functionally) and it's basically dated in the worst of ways. There's a reason that interfaces have moved away from the standards of 1993, and you can most certainly make an old-school game without it being a pain to do anything.

Angthoron

Arcane
I'm also playing the full version now, some thoughts:

- Level design and encounters do get more complex
- Unfortunately, you have not one but two I Win buttons that you can spam
- Equipment improvements are horrifically slow for the rogue unless you take swords (shouldn't be the point?)
- Rest mechanic is pretty neat, took me a while to figure it out though, but that saved me a lot of trips to town once I did
- Patrol respawn is pretty bloody annoying when you've cleared the entire area and are going back to town with zero health and energy left. Also fun to run into one after coming back from town and waste half your energy on a pack of random Imps. This also happened to me after reloading a cleared room, which definitely made me happy
- (engine issue) Loading times give me enough time to grow and trim my beard
- Why are the places of Yes and No buttons reversed in the interface?

Having fun with this thing though mind you.

Repressed Homosexual
I agree with the general impressions so far. The designer has his heart in the right place and did a fairly decent job, but the game is a bit lacking in the complexity that people like us crave. I like the feats and leveling up, though.

I also dislike the interface, it is quite ugly and lacks keyboard shortcuts. It's obvious that it was made with the Ipad in mind.

Enemy variety also seems to be lacking.

Also, no quick-save function? So I have to fight with the interface every time I want to save? Bummer.

It seems like a decent introduction to the genre to casual gamers though, and a fairly decent game for the rest of us.

ortucis

Prophet
Humanity has risen! said:
I also dislike the interface, it is quite ugly and lacks keyboard shortcuts. It's obvious that it was made with the Ipad in mind.

:lol:

The game is using old Torque Game Engine. Anyone who has used it knows what a POS that engine is and what kind of support (read=improvements) GarageGames provides. It isn't UDK where developers release monthly upgrades/fixes for their engine.

Mortmal

Arcane
Its a one man job , its pretty decent i suppose and the character building is ok. The big problem is that i played wizardry 8 before. Its more complex than eschalon but way under wizardry, no surprise there of course. The humor and graphic style doesnt do it for me, i need at least pratchett level.
Nothing to get ecstatic at , as usual ill wait for kotc2, or maybe vogels games.

Angthoron

Arcane
Humanity has risen! said:
Enemy variety also seems to be lacking.

Variety improves significantly once out of the tower, though that should be addressed too, for the start of the game early impressions are important.

I'd also like to semi-retract my complaint about gearing up the thief, it's not that bad after all.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Serious Sam 3 has been moved to November, which means my October budget has been relieved.

This better be worth it, you faggots.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom