Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Fritz, a World War I pixel art RPG - Kickstarter failed, development continues

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/462029764/fritz-a-video-game-about-world-war-one

Fritz is a German soldier in the trenches of WW1. Bond with trenchmates and fend off the French in this PC game. Every choice matters.

What is Fritz?

Fritz is a narrative RPG with brutal real-time combat about life in the trenches of the First World War. You play as Fritz, a German soldier on the Western Front. Most of the gameplay is comprised of everyday activities like guard duty, getting food, and talking to your fellow soldiers. Attacks are sparse, but deadly and challenging.

The main aspect of the game is character development, both of Fritz and of his comrades. Each of them is shaped by interaction with others and the things they're going through. Your comrades can die practically randomly during attacks, but the longer they survive, and they closer they get to Fritz, the better their chances of survival as everyone helps each other.

59304e3bce40ac5f19ffbc395d39db3a_large.png

Details of Gameplay

Each playthrough of the game will last between 4-6 in-game weeks, with content for each game day. This time was chosen to reflect the amount of time a German soldier was expected to stay on the front before being sent back into reserves.

At the end of that time there will be multiple endings available, completely dependent on how you play the game, and then you will be sent back to the main menu, where you can play a "new game" with your stats, skills, and experiences completely reset, or you can play "new game +" with the same stats, skills, and experiences, making the game progressively harder on each playthrough.

13d12d141200c65e23312c94c42844bd_large.png

Planned Main Gameplay Elements
:
  • Dialogue with fellow soldiers
  • Daily routine (i.e. guard duty, mail, equipment maintenance, deliveries)
  • Battles with the French
  • Dynamic, random events that play out differently depending on the player's previous actions and affect stats for Fritz and NPCs.

Planned Atmospheric Elements:
  • Soldiers with personality and stats
  • Branching dialogue options
  • Interactive character development that takes the stats and relationships of NPCs into account
  • Skill development based on learning from NPCs
  • Fritz's thoughts change and flash on the screen with events and stats
  • Inventory (can be used by the player, or as gifts or bribes)
  • Stats for illness, trauma, hunger, loneliness
  • Letters to and from home, with care packages that affect stats
  • All of the above dynamically integrated and dependent on the situation and the player's actions.
  • Multiple endings
44abcc040ad4257945eb6d50b37817a7_large.gif

Base Goal
  • The game will be playable on PC and Linux.
  • We will be creating 10 major NPCs (with fully fleshed-out storylines of their own and complex interaction with Fritz), and you will get the opportunity to interact with 3 of them per playthrough.
  • There will also be 25 minor NPCs (who interact minimally with Fritz), of which there will be about 10 per playthrough.
  • For combat, the player will either be shooting in a desperate charge across the battlefield or in close combat in the trench. The player can control the character in cardinal directions (WASD) and stand, crouch, or lie down. The shooting mechanic will be basic---aim with a crosshair and fire---but accuracy will be a challenge, as Fritz's aim and speed will be influenced by his stats and health.
  • The game will feature at least three different interactive settings: the trench, the battlefield, and the hospital.
  • There will be at least 21 different endings.

Funding goal: $15,000

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I anticipate losing this one to Infinitron in the beg thread in the distant future.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Those soldiers have been through a lot. You can tell by the way THOSE PIXELS ARE ARRANGED.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It seems to be surprisingly well organized. Hopefully it does well.

Gozma

Arcane
I'm kind of annoyed that they imply that having any kind of skill or ability (i.e. like in a game) mattered a shit in surviving a stint on the Western front in the trench phase of WWI, I suppose besides having the psychological construction not to kill yourself, or abandon your post/frag someone and get executed.

4too

Arcane
Alternating History

A happy holy 'War To End All Wars' Centennial to one and all!

Caught me in the middle of my first reading of the The Guns Of August not sure how this immersive tale alluded me all these decades, maybe profiled it as too popular. Following Dan Carlin's history pods about the Great War, "Blueprint For Armageddon",
http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hharchive
shattered that bit of literary snobbery.

The Germans of old had two chances to 'retire' Grandpa Bob,

they failed, so your eyes have the opportunity to shovel through the following mound of text. BEWARE! Meandering links continue ….
The local branch of the public library was brigaded in the same WPA era building complex as the neighborhood elementary and middle school.

For a school library it had a reasonable sized, shadowy high shelved adult section.

Primarily Time-Life, American Heritage illustrated volumes, I had blitzed through the victors' history titles in the children-youth area
and was wondering what lurked in the broody ambience of the tall shelves.

Recently, from that foreboding noire, my older brother had scored a cluster of "Flying Saucers Are Real" books from the fabulous 50's,
with real-genuine-authentic black and white photos of UFO's
(to be seen later in the late 60's trendy line drawings on Cream's double LP WHEELS OF FIRE).

Off I went to adventure, reading the spines of hard backed volumes, recognized a title.

This was the media eon when there were three and a half TV channels, and nothing was on.
Good commercial bait for local stations were the stable of movies from the '30's and 40's.
There was a heroic arch of John Wayne, Randolph Scott, James Cagney vehicles that rotated seasonally in the non prime time doldrums.
Among the marines, cowboys, and gangsters was a Lew Ayers flick,
allquiet.jpeg
4455828fd7a0ccd61e5c3110.L.gif
(Golly! Coal bucket helmet with iconic Frankenstein head bolts!?!)
All Quiet On The Western Front, I had only seen in 'fits' and pieces, never from title screen to end fine'.

Had cool explosions, what's not for a boy to love?

My level of reading comprehension was ready, but my experience with blood and gore infotainment was over powered by a graphical text horror show.

Had yet to acquire the 'double think' of patriotic propaganda that holds the mottle of multiple images in one valiant blur,
only had the cold clear empathic shot of human bodies pounded, grounded from meat and bone into blood and mud.

Something of the educated child survived since i am still playing games, … of violence.

Offer of WW 1 trench warfare as a venue for survival horror, flags fade, only comrades remain, or maybe I'm reading in too much …

In the '80's some games had astonishing degrees of pixel diplomacy, SHOGUN (Mastertronic):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phUxJ6mkiYo
This 8-bit floppy offers me positive reinforcement that limited graphic detail may hold a wealth of weaseling, the network grooming of tiny Huns.

Will seed a pledge.

4too

Tigranes

Arcane
$5 is a good price for a copy, and it looks like it could have a nice charm. Pledged.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
At the end of that time there will be multiple endings available

"*kaff* Pr-private...come closer..."

"Please captain, you mustn't talk. The medics ar-"

"I'm done for, private. Look, I just *kaff* wanted you to know...I was *kaff kaff* I was wrong about you."

"Sir, there's no n-"

"You're a good guy, private. No matters what happens, no matter what people *kaff* say...you gotta do what you gotta do. Understand me?"

"I...yes, captain"

"*kaff* good, good. So, heh, I never did *kaff* I never did get your...real...na........................"

*sheds tear*

"Adolf, sir. Just Adolf."

11/10 GOTY

Someone, make this happen!

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
What? No one has mentioned All Quiet on the Western Front?
:rpgcodex:

Best world war 1 film, and shown from the german perspective.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
"The game will be playable on PC and Linux."
What if i have Linux on my PC?
Seriously, i don't trust a dev that doesn't refer to a OS properly.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks pretty cool! I'd love to play a good WWI game that isn't a strategy game. Valiant Hearts didn't turn out too well sadly so let's hope this one will deliver.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Funny, I was just thinking about General Haig and his ridiculous slow walk order towards the Germans today.

$5 why not, I got a thing for the krauters.

dryan

Arcane
Then after you win the war you get married, build a cellar dungeon and raise your daughter in it.... oh wait, that's Fritzl.

Stokowski

Arcane
Did anyone else read this as "a World War, 1-pixel, art RPG ..."?

No?

Well that's alright then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom