Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frogwares' The Sinking City - that other Cthulhu game

himmy

Arcane
https://thesinkingcity-game.com

https://af.gog.com/game/sinking_city?as=1649904300
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/the-sinking-city/home

Publisher Focus Home Interactive released the first five pieces of concept art for developer Frogwares' upcoming Call of Cthulhu today.

Check out the gallery below for a glimpse of a dark and foreboding world full of rundown mansions, cockeyed tombstones and hanged men. Call of Cthulhu, which may be related to the early-80s pen-and-paper role-playing game based on H.P. Lovecraft mythology, is headed to next-gen consoles and PC from the French developer perhaps best known for its series of Sherlock Holmes adventure games.

We've reached out to Focus for more on the game and will update with more information as it becomes available.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/16/5316636/call-of-cthulhu-concept-art-gallery-frogwares

I posted this optimistically in the General RPG section 'cause of the PnP reference in the article, though I expect this to be moved once more information becomes available.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Focus interactive is really wasting money with shovelware lately, I really hope this is different.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm excited.

Frogware are really good at creating moody environments.
I hope it's an adventure game in the vein of their Sherlock games.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
An Amnesia style game for this would be awesome
Whatever happened to DV Lovecraft themed game? Seeing AoD and its narrative choices a game like that withg the Cthulhu myhtos would rule

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Frogwares are not shovelware you fucking retards, get a grip.

Although I have to say I'd be more optimistic if that was announced right after Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened, than now with the meh Testament and the upcoming Crimes and Punishments which might just turn out shit.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This will probably be dumbed down to hell and back..... but fapping..... very cautiously. It might be at least somewhat entertaining.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Even if it's a a more polished Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, it will be good. Focus Interactive... it could end as terrible shovelware as well.

trustno1code

Prophet
Focus should've excavated the Darkness Within devs and gave it to them instead.
So now Frogwares should excavate and hire the Darkness Within devs.

A user named cat

Would love to see another game like Darkness Within but sadly I'm sure the Zoetrope devs have disbanded and moved on.

On a related positive note -- I think Bracken Tor is supposed to finally be out this year. It's a part of the Barrow Hill series, very similar to DW1 actually.

Unwanted

Magic User

Unwanted
I played a couple of frogwares sherlock adventures a few years ago. They were all mediocre and boring games and I doubt things have gotten much better.

I like all things Lovecraft, but even then there is no sense in holding your breath over this.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last edited:
Unwanted

Magic User

Unwanted
Last one I played was the one with Arsene Lupin. I played the Cthulhu crossover and a few others as well. I remember they used to be some kind of eastern european "market dumper" that released 3 or 4 crappy games every year as a market strategy. Have they really changed? What should I check from them?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last one I played was the one with Arsene Lupin. I played the Cthulhu crossover and a few others as well. I remember they used to be some kind of eastern european "market dumper" that released 3 or 4 crappy games every year as a market strategy. Have they really changed? What should I check from them?

Try Jack the Ripper, that's usually considered the best one.

AngryKobold

Arcane
Won't be surprised if the real horror will be not Cthulhu, but "god, what those incompetent hacks have done with their time and money".

Actually this approach makes AoD an outstanding horror show.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Everybody and their mother is influenced by HP Lovecraft today. Do something new -- not interested anymore.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Visuals suggest Massachusetts or Louisiana. Would have liked it better if it was patterned after the Mountains of Madness, but still promising.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom