Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frostpunk - ice age city builder from This War Of Mine devs

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You can definitely trigger the Winterhome event by just going there instead of waiting until day 18 or whatever it is. I've never had the lone guy show up, since I'm out scouting early. I was mostly curious about what caused the storm to come, whether it was just time or whether dealing with the Londoners could also trigger it. I guess the game wants you to always have a crisis going on, so finishing one early doesn't buy you time before the next one arrives.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-thrilling-but-thin-frozen-city-building-game

Frostpunk review - a thrilling but thin frozen city building game
Do you want to build a snow town?

png

A thrilling but thin survival twist on the city builder genre, oozing dark charisma and political dilemmas.

How did it come to this? Public executions are being made in the name of a divine ruler. Propaganda hangs from buildings. None of us in our right minds would implement these regimes, and yet in Frostpunk I did. What drove me there? I didn't suddenly lose my mind; I did it because it was better than the alternative. I did it to survive.

Like developer 11 bit Studio's previous game This War of Mine, this is where Frostpunk exists, on the edge of coping, where you're always put between a rock and a hard place. You never make a decision in the game from a position of comfort - a mixture of dwindling resources and ever worsening cold ensure that. You never have quite enough. You think you're safe and then something happens to wrongfoot you, be it a scripted event or the temperature plummeting again. It's a heart-pumping scrabble for survival, a thrill I've never felt in a city builder. As I hung on towards the campaign's end, I genuinely held my breath.

In Frostpunk you're in charge of building the last city on a completely frozen Earth, and you're up against it from the off. The temperature is -20 degrees and you need to find coal to keep your generator stoked for warmth, wood to build shelters for your people, and food to feed them. Around you lay piles of coal, wood and steel, and you assign groups of people - workers or engineers - to gather them.

jpg

Small beginnings, and Christopher Lambert, implausibly - no immortality for him here.

But soon you need these people elsewhere, in cook houses, hunter's lodges and medical tents, and your gathering force thins. You still need more of everything but you have no one to get it. Then one of your people suggests putting children to work, and in the cruel moment it makes sense and so you pass the law.

Then resource piles begin to disappear and you need engineers to research an alternative, and quickly, so you pass a law enabling 24-hour shifts in the workshop. But you will need people to work the sawmills and coal thumpers and steel works. Fortunately the beacon you built attracts some survivors and you're glad for their extra help, but you're not glad for the extra mouths to feed so you pass a law enabling soup rations to make food stretch further.

By now the warm space around your generator is taken and the tents you need to build for the newcomers are in the cold. People start to fall ill, some gravely, and they die. What will you do with their corpses? A snow pit seems easiest so you pass the law and build one, plus it gives you the option of recycling their frozen bodies for food later on.

But these decisions do not go unnoticed. All the time Discontent rises and Hope falls within your city, and if you let them reach their negative extremes, you're done for, turfed out, game over. It's why you pass a law enabling fighting pits to let off Discontent each evening, and why you enable prostitution in public houses. It's why you enable a neighbourhood watch and guard towers, enabling guards to be used in various encounters which crop up, such as protests. People get hurt but that's the price they pay. You've got bigger things to worry about. What choice do you have?

It's a fascinating position to be put in, a layer which gives Frostpunk a whole other dimension and a kind of soul. Through your decisions, the consequences of which you see played out on the people sagging or prospering under your rule, you city builds a story. A child died because they were exhausted and even though their mother pled you kept them working. How do you feel about that? Your scouts came across a ravaged group of survivors and instead of helping them, put them out of their misery and took their stuff. How do you feel about that? You may survive the cold but will be proud about how you did it?

jpg

Keep it warm, keep it warm!

The other layer Frostpunk uses, in addition to intricate city building, is the pull of the unknown. Beacons allow scouts to be trained and sent out above and beyond the crater your city exists in. What's out there, you don't know. Are there other survivors, other cities like yours? Are there answers to your bigger questions? All you see are points of interest on the map, and it takes time for scouts to reach them. The more your explore, the bigger picture of survival you uncover. It's an added layer of interactive fiction in a way. You'll see the grisly and you'll find some relief, and eventually you'll come upon something which will make or break you.

This is all brought to life gorgeously before you, in a kind of lavish and living wrought iron Victorian playset. Smog pumps from chimneys and furrows are ploughed in deep tracts of snow, and little torches light sorry workers as they shuffle about their business. Select individual buildings and you hear the industry inside them, the coughs, the shouts, the machinery, and zoom out and the blizzardy wind howls around your ears. The attention to detail is incredible, and the simulation purrs, designed coherently and thoughtfully, with heat maps for seeing where you're coldest, and menus for tracking inefficient consumption when you can't see everything at once.

But in a dozen hours, it's done. You either move onto one of two smaller scenarios, which are deceptively hard and focused around unique themes - one protecting the last seeds on Earth, the other housing an influx of refugees before the oppressive, rich lords arrive - or you play the main campaign again. The thrill, though, dulls considerably a second time around. Not only will you know what's coming, which I found spoiled the fun much more than I was expecting (though you can tinker with difficulty sliders to give yourself more of a challenge), the other, mutually exclusive law-path you can follow feels almost exactly the same. One is Order and one is Faith and Spirituality, and both are eventually as totalitarian as each other.

jpg

Look at the majesty of it!

I hoped Frostpunk would have something to say about employing this kind of rule. I hoped at some point my conscience would be presented with a bill: "You made all these reckless decisions and now you will answer for them." But nothing beyond the grumbles of my populace ever came, and I had complete control over them. It was as though the game was missing an outside voice, a disapproving onlooker. I passed my judgement on others but none did the same to me. I answered to no one but myself and Frostpunk's decisions felt thin, like a facade, as a result.

Perhaps the point was to show me how extreme regimes are attractive and effective under the right circumstances; to offer me a glimpse at how they came to be in the destabilised countries of our past - or perhaps how they could come to be in the turbulent countries of our present. Perhaps the more humanitarian types of rule I was after only become possible in times of security and plenty, which definitely aren't Frostpunk.

It's in this way Frostpunk feels like only the beginning: the first chapter of a larger survival story. You cling on and do what it takes to survive the first handful of weeks, but that's it. You never begin implementing the deeper infrastructures of a civilisation because the game isn't concerned with what comes next. It means by city builder standards Frostpunk's vision and playtime are limited, although at £25 it is priced to reflect it.

While it lasts, though, Frostpunk is spellbinding, a breathless battle against the odds, oozing dark charisma and exquisite quality. The underpinning of survival and ever decreasing odds breathe so much drama into the formula as to make other city builders dull by comparison. But it's over too abruptly and fizzles at the conclusion, and the political feast it teases ends up more like hors d'oeuvres.

Elex

Arbiter
umm how much is selling battletech? i suppose is less.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Without depth in writing, any characters and decision-driven mechanics that would kickstart a chain of events based on player's actions and decisions Frostpunk is just an unoptimized clicker in vein of Fallout: Shelter. Who am I kidding though, F:Shelter actually has gameplay and some writing attached to it. Developers promised sorta blockade Leningrad and delivered a fucking town-scale tamagochi.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Hey perhaps, from the viewpoint of the soviet leaders of Leningrad, it was more tamagochi than anything.
I know you think of yourself as a witty humorist, next Carlin, Chaplin, et cetera but Leningrad blockade left enough inspiration for ten AAA-scale well-written Fronstpunks regardless yet potatoes thought making game-as-statement for the second time will be enough. Not, it's not enough.

By the way, for little explanation this game leaves, why the fuck people moved up north, there's no coal to speak of and much colder... Ruins muh immershun, ya know.

ortucis

Prophet
By the way, for little explanation this game leaves, why the fuck people moved up north, there's no coal to speak of and much colder... Ruins muh immershun, ya know.

Honestly, a lot of things don't make sense in this game. You might argue that it's just a game so no one should question things, but even a lot of decisions in-game seem to make no sense. The worst part is, a lot of these moronic events are triggered by the developers.

I had a well fed city with almost full Hope and a bit of Discontent, but the moment one guy showed up on my doorsteps, everyone instantly starts losing all hope.. despite the fact they are not only well fed but surrounded by tech that can feed and build for them forever. They are popping children who are well fed and safe with warm homes and full medical staff looking after them. They apparently don't have any hope for them as well, cause that one guy means, no hope, riots and people willing to give all this up and move out of the city.

That's why this game is a failure. Forced & fake progression where the player has NO control over these things. Shit will happen cause.. the developers decided it'll happen.

Then again, most gamers are happy with this level of stupid these days, so who cares?

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That's why this game is a failure. Forced & fake progression where the player has NO control over these things.

Then again, most gamers are happy with this level of stupid these days, so who cares?

No, your comment is stupid. There's nothing "fake" or "forced" about this game's progression. It's not a sandbox builder ffs, it's a time-limited survival game. It has some problems like lack of content and certain imbalances but "fake progression" isn't one of them. They've already promised free content updates and an expansion. If they deliver this is gonna be a great game. Right now it's a good start.

ortucis

Prophet
That's why this game is a failure. Forced & fake progression where the player has NO control over these things.

No, your comment is stupid. There's nothing "fake" or "forced" about this game's progression. It's not a sandbox builder ffs, it's a time-limited survival game. It has some problems like lack of content and certain imbalances but "fake progression" isn't one of them. They've already promised free content updates and an expansion. If they deliver this is gonna be a great game. Right now it's a good start.

Advice: If a developer is promising "content updates and an expansion", the content updates are going to be shit and worthless compared to expansion they'll charge you for.

And yes, the game is still is fake. All twats playing it going "OH MY GAWD TEH VISUALS TEH STEAMPUNK", need to stop drinking the kool-aid.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw Refugees on Hard? Oh boy. Minus 50 on day 7 lol. With research and gathering going much slower. Frost isn't the biggest problem tho. Tried twice, discontent got me both times. It's a very fine balance to figure out how to distribute Engis between Workshops, Medical Posts and workplaces, how to use the Extended Shifts and what to research at what exact time. I guess it'll take a few more tries but this is gonna be fucking tricky all the way through.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Is this game worth 27 potatos or not?

Yes if you're fan of the devs.

No if you don't give a shit about some dirty Poles and you're just looking for some fun. In a year, if they deliver the new scenarios and the expansion in the quality of the base game, it'll be worth it, easily.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Is this game worth 27 potatos or not?
Either you have sufficient salary to don't care and then it's your problem how you waste your money, or you are pensioner, disabled, long term unemployed and in that case even 1$ is too much for you.

That's a standard answer for question if a game is worth money.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The extra scenarios on hard are very difficult, especially if you want to do the "bonus" objectives (like saving new manchester).

Btw Refugees on Hard? Oh boy. Minus 50 on day 7 lol. With research and gathering going much slower. Frost isn't the biggest problem tho. Tried twice, discontent got me both times. It's a very fine balance to figure out how to distribute Engis between Workshops, Medical Posts and workplaces, how to use the Extended Shifts and what to research at what exact time. I guess it'll take a few more tries but this is gonna be fucking tricky all the way through.
Took me 3 tries, but I *think* I'm comfortably secure now (all refugees have arrived, no impending crisis that I know of, although I haven't been told my next and presumably final objective yet).

Child labor turned out to be essential, since it practically doubles your workforce the first few days, and still makes up a large part of it until all refugees have arrived.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The extra scenarios on hard are very difficult, especially if you want to do the "bonus" objectives (like saving new manchester).

Took me 3 tries, but I *think* I'm comfortably secure now (all refugees have arrived, no impending crisis that I know of, although I haven't been told my next and presumably final objective yet).

Child labor turned out to be essential, since it practically doubles your workforce the first few days, and still makes up a large part of it until all refugees have arrived.

Yep, made it on the third try too. Child labour is an obvious no-brainer, the most important advice for Hard Refugees is NOT to sign Soup or Additives. Soup just screws up with your discontent so you can't use longer shifts more liberally - which is essential - and Additives just completely fucks you up with piles of sick and empty workplaces.

Light spoiler -

There are two endings, depending on your actions. One is easy but "bad" and one "good" but very expensive. I got the easy one, couldn't make the expensive one by about a day or so. No idea what happens. but I got the achievement and I'm happy.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I have barely touched the 3rd tier of tech and the main scenario just ends? What the fuck? Did they run out of funding to finish the scenario or what? Or did I not notice and installed the demo by accident? I barely got to use the resource camp expeditions, I thought this was the mid-game!

That, combined with the bugged potato text makes me think this got rushed. At least I bought the game using a gift card that would probably expire before anything else available at empik would show up. They should have spent less on assets and graphic artists and more on gameplay design. The political situation in the city is shallow from a gameplay perspective (only scripted events instead of a dynamic gameplay mechanic based on player choirces), then again, it is less than 1000 people. But you would expect some factions to pop-up and also social stratification to become noticeable. Quite a bit of wasted potential regarding internal strife and how to deal with it given the setting.

The concept of a city in the arctic and sending explorations parties is nice, the exploration results being interesting to uncover and read. A pity it just ends before you realize it. Also the game could have used some random locations and FTL-style events for this part. It feels to railroaded.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
^The shortness is the least of the problems for me but they've definitely bungled a few things. The shallowness of the social stuff is super pronounced in the Refugees scenario, you'll see. And I'd love to have more engaging locations. The text is interesting, sure, but the result is almost always predefined and static, they could've done so much more with this.

Many of the problems disappear tho once you start playing on Hard. On Normal you're just pootling along, not a care in the world. But on Hard you actually have to utilize all the tools you have at your disposal, including all the technologies and resource outposts. Initially I was mildly disappointed but now I'm on my 3rd Hard run, trying to do all the achievements, and I'm enjoying myself a lot. Can't wait for them to release more content.

rezaf

Cipher
I must admit, I'm kinda envious at the more inclined people feeling playing this on normal is just easy going.
Sure, actually facing the game over screen is more difficult, but the gameplay loop of bleak depression is still prominently featuring.
I guess this game is not for me. There are plenty of frustrations in my real life, thankfully most of them are first world problems, but anyway, for me games are supposed to be escapism from such frustrations, opportunities to enjoy successes I maybe didn't have during a grindy day at work or to achieve things whilst I'm just treading the mill irl.
Frostpunkt, though, only want's to give you more hours of hopelessness, depression and angst. The very concept of games as an enjoyable pastime is undermined.
I wish there was an inverse gamemode, where you start with only a few survivors in a totalitarian city and proceed to get more civilised again or something. Ah well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom