Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fuck those stupid levels!

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
poland_vs_axis__r_polandball_at_least_poland_tried_by_someone1fy-d7v3vgn.png

Beastro

Arcane
Honestly I prefer a game that leaves me to explore a open world, checking what things and what monsters can I defeat and whose not than taking me by the hand to guide me in a linear storyline or with storylocking some places. I love when I find a draconian thing with a red skull over its head and I make Geralt run like a bitch. I think they used the leveled mobs to keep them some interesting to fight while Geralt gets stronger with each level and new gear, and for limiting the zones that you can explore of course.

Rubbish.

A big red skull is simply a dumbed down form of conveying to the player "you can't beat this", which is further enforced by the retarded damage reduction red skull enemies get. Witcher 1 got the progression part right: stronger monsters are actually different species, so if you find a group of Graveirs, RUN LIKE HELL. But that game was a PC exclusive. A system like that would never work on a multiplatform release because consoletards will NEVER be bothered to read the fucking bestiary.

Even then you could handle encounters slightly above your level with preparation and good pulling in TW1. Like the Ghouls in the first act by the river guarding a named one that was a few levels above me.

Taking pots and pulling the mobs around to break their blob up allowed me to widdle them down and eventually take on the main one alone and it being a tough fight by itself.

It's one of the main things I enjoy about games, shoving myself into higher content and finding ways of overcoming it. Level scaling and TW3 "impossible if too high" BS completely prevent that from happening.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom