Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fucking Minecraft

Just tried to grab the latest Minecraft version and some mods to see what changed since the last time I played it, a year or so ago, and I have to vent!

I bought Minecraft when it was still in Beta, years ago, because it was such a new experience back then. When I first played it, I had flashbacks to movies and books where the main character is a castaway on a deserted island, having to use their wits, knowledge, and hard work to survive and eventually build up a sophisticated living space. This game seemed perfect for that back then, with its crafting and harvesting systems, and hints of more sophisticated gameplay to come, such as the redstone circuits.

Fast forward a few years, and holy fucking cow. The game has sold like some sort of amalgation of hookers and booze, making a fortune for Notch, becoming a worldwide sensation, and yet, the gameplay is exactly the same as in those early beta days. Notch himself clearly got lazy as all hell once he made the big money, and also seems like he never had any kind of game design in mind for this game. There is no challenge (unless you are a three year old), no purpose other than just freeform building stuff, no interesting world dynamics, nothing at all to encourage anyone with a brain to play once they ve seen the basics. I don't even begrudge Notch getting lazy, after all, let's be realistic here, if most of us got rich as all hell, we probably wouldn't work anymore either, but he could've at least hired other people to turn it into an actual game. Since he worked on fairly hardcore stuff like Wyrm Online and played Dwarf Fortress, I imagine he has some idea of what real games are. Instead, he hired a bunch of people who seem to be sitting on their asses and working on the same kind of silly pointless bullshit he was churning out in the latter days before he quit. Every update they do is tragically funnier than the last one, with stuff like more colors for the cactus or some integration into some other pointless bullshit, as opposed to anything that actually impacts gameplay.

Likewise, their modders are just sad for the most part. Instead of addressing the real issues with the game, 99.9% of mods add some other pointless decorative or fluff crap. The other 0.1% generally get abandoned at some point. On top of that, either because they got no money, or are trying to make some, most mods are available through shit like adfly, where you play a game more challenging than Minecraft itself to figure out which fucking link actually leads to the download. Meanwhile, the official updates which add nothing to gameplay, add a shitton to the download. I used to be able to download the latest version of MC in seconds, now it was downloading for almost half an hour, at which point I just cancelled the installation. And hilariously, Notch himself recently abandoned the next promising game he was working on, the spaceship game with the programmable computer.

Why do I care? Just because I look at Minecraft and see what it could have been, and the potential is so amazing that it just makes me sad. And it's so cool that one guy was able to make such a successful game, but then the whole thing turns around right back into the EA/Activision style of shit.

SoupNazi

No version of Minecraft is worth playing, really. I had some time building stuff with the Tekkit pack like, a year ago, with a bunch of friends on a server we rented, but ultimately once you build all the cool bases with weird machinery etc. all you can do is do "pretend wars" between each other and eventually end up blowing the shit out of everything.

It took us about a month to get shit like nuclear reactors and some really cool bases, then we got bored as there was no "end-game" so we just built catapults and snuck bombs into each other's bases, blew each other up, then abandoned the game and never played again. I mean, it was worth the peanuts I paid for the game, it gave me about two or three months of good fun, but after that we all lost interest completely.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I went through a few months where a couple of us played the living hell out of Minecraft culminating in an 8 person lan party of Minecraft insanity. Playing that game solo does get stale, but playing with a group adds a certain something to it. There are a metric ton of things to do, maps to download, competitions and open servers.

The reason there wasn't as much new innovation is that everyone and everything came up with their own Minecraft version: Terraria, Aces High, Roblox, you name it, there is not a lot more Notch could do that one would find innovative/fresh.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
I don't even begrudge Notch getting lazy, after all, let's be realistic here, if most of us got rich as all hell, we probably wouldn't work anymore either, but he could've at least hired other people to turn it into an actual game.

Well he handed Minecraft to a different guy at Mojang long ago. He then went to make that "revolutionary" space game that he abandoned.

Ninjerk

Arcane
what he made is supposedly hundreds of millions of dollars so he can not give a fuck

Destroid

Arcane
I don't understand how you can at once say the game entertained you for months, yet it isn't worth playing. Sounds like you sunk more time into it than your typical RPG takes to complete.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Guy gets bored 300 hours into a game. Calls the game crap. Codex never changes, and I am really starting to think that the majority of you are assholes and idiots.

With love,

-Taxalot

SoupNazi

It's not really that. It's that the game lacks any "end-game" level entertainment. Once you're all geared up, have a cool base and many supplies, there's not much you can do - there are I think about three (?) "bosses" that you can go kill with a party, but due to the shoddy combat system, it's not all that fun. If there were dozens of them, and some REALLY difficult, and the combat was made more responsive, I'm positive the game would last many more months and most of all, finally running out of options would feel far more satisfying than "oh, ok. we blew each other up and there's nothing to do now". Because there would be a sense of achievement.

Oesophagus

Arcane
It's not really that. It's that the game lacks any "end-game" level entertainment. Once you're all geared up, have a cool base and many supplies, there's not much you can do - there are I think about three (?) "bosses" that you can go kill with a party, but due to the shoddy combat system, it's not all that fun. If there were dozens of them, and some REALLY difficult, and the combat was made more responsive, I'm positive the game would last many more months and most of all, finally running out of options would feel far more satisfying than "oh, ok. we blew each other up and there's nothing to do now". Because there would be a sense of achievement.

That;s when you gotta start building that 100X200 :mhd:

It lacks endgame content because it's a sandbox made for fucking around with other people, not to win the game. The game does have an end after you kill the nether dragon, but it's almost an easter egg. You're approaching it from the wrong angle, like someone playing NWN1 for the OC and not for the permanent online worlds. It sounds like Terraria is what you're looking for.

Go to youtube and watch some videos of people fucking around in custom maps, that's what the game is actually about.

Gozma

Arcane
"Dwarf Fortress"

"real game"

btw I am the most annoying person in the world that watched my friend that was super into Minecraft when it came out years ago and wouldn't stop telling him how the whole thing was a ripoff of glorious DF. "Pah where is the infant being eaten by wolves, where are the obscure mineralogical terms" I complained

"Dwarf Fortress"

"real game"

btw I am the most annoying person in the world that watched my friend that was super into Minecraft when it came out years ago and wouldn't stop telling him how the whole thing was a ripoff of glorious DF. "Pah where is the infant being eaten by wolves, where are the obscure mineralogical terms" I complained

Dwarf Fortress is completely different though. It's true it's not a game per se yet, once you figure out how everything works, but you have to remember it's in very early stages, probably less than halfway through development (Tarn Adams mentioned somewhere he wants another 20 years working on it at least). With DF, there is definitely a design plan, though you may argue it's insane in its scope. His plan is the proper procedural plan (put in tons of interesting systems and then have their interaction generate interesting emergent gameplay) on a grand scale. Once enough systems are coded in, he can presumably start balancing and fine-tuning them to enhance the gaminess.

Minecraft is a completely different story. It's a procedural game with such few/shallow systems, that there is next to no emergent gameplay.

Drax

Arcane
While Minecraft may share some concepts with DF, it's a completely different game. Probably one of the most """pure""" sandboxs out there.
I, too, play it for a while and then leave it for months, but I can understand why some people like it so much.

Cassidy

Arcane
How to become a millionaire:

#Whatever : Advertise an Autism and LEGO Simulator in a forum full of idiots who pay to post in it.

Luzur

Good Sir
minecraft devs seems mostly into command blocks and redstone shit nowadays.

also, what happened to the old thread?

Farage

Arcane
Patron
You liked Minecraft back then because nobody played it, and now that everyone does, you don't.
So you're basically telling us that you're a hipster?

No hating, i like Minecraft as any other game. Don't change whats not broken.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
You liked Minecraft back then because nobody played it, and now that everyone does, you don't.
So you're basically telling us that you're a hipster?

No hating, i like Minecraft as any other game. Don't change whats not broken.

It's ok, sometimes I don't read posts before I make a response, too.

Though this is not a very good first impression.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom