Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fucking Minecraft

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Stating arguments that are longer than 2 sentences is beeing desperate?
Think about it for a second, Jick, i am the one whos trying to have a basis in my arguments, giving examples and careful explanations.
Im not the one posting offensive pictures and straight calling someone a butthurt moron.
That is being desperate, and thats what human beings do when they have no arguments.
But im sure im not the one responsible for explaining you this, if everytime someone disagrees with your opinion you just bash them with random cussings you're going to have a tough time in life.

Your entire argument thus far has been an amalgamation of: "He's a hipster for daring to think the game had potential", "The game doesn't need updates because it's famous", and "He's stupid for ever daring to think the game had potential because it's always been shit", all essentially boiling down to "He's an idiot for actually expecting anything".

No, being upset that the game that you played years ago, the one that you really liked and hoped to see improved over the years (and was promised to be improved), has not only remained stagnant, but has essentially been co-opted by the absolute lowest common denominator is not a 'hipster' reaction. Being annoyed that your favorite isometric RPG series has been turned into a dumbed-down FPS, or that Cyrodill has been turned into Gondor during a cheap renaissance fair and being told that everything that was described about it beforehand was just a 'transcription error' does not make you a bitter hipster who only liked something before other people liked it, does not make you a bitter hipster who only liked it because it was 'old school', it just makes you part of the original fanbase who's been shunted in favor of the all-encompassing decline.

Farage

Arcane
Patron
Think about it for a second, Jick, i am the one whos trying to have a basis in my arguments, giving examples and careful explanations.
Im not the one posting offensive pictures and straight calling someone a butthurt moron.
That is being desperate, and thats what human beings do when they have no arguments.
But im sure im not the one responsible for explaining you this, if everytime someone disagrees with your opinion you just bash them with random cussings you're going to have a tough time in life.

Your entire argument thus far has been an amalgamation of: "He's a hipster for daring to think the game had potential", "The game doesn't need updates because it's famous", and "He's stupid for ever daring to think the game had potential because it's always been shit", all essentially boiling down to "He's an idiot for actually expecting anything".

No, being upset that the game that you played years ago, the one that you really liked and hoped to see improved over the years (and was promised to be improved), has not only remained stagnant, but has essentially been co-opted by the absolute lowest common denominator is not a 'hipster' reaction. Being annoyed that your favorite isometric RPG series has been turned into a dumbed-down FPS, or that Cyrodill has been turned into Gondor during a cheap renaissance fair and being told that everything that was described about it beforehand was just a 'transcription error' does not make you a bitter hipster who only liked something before other people liked it, does not make you a bitter hipster who only liked it because it was 'old school', it just makes you part of the original fanbase who's been shunted in favor of the all-encompassing decline.
Thats more like it.
I do agree with you in every point, but seems that your hatred towards me might make you misinterpret some of my statements.
First, i do not think that the game doesn't need updates because it's famous, this doesn't even make sense. I do believe it needs "cool" updates, but it is obviously incapable of doing so, accept that.
I indeed said it is naive to expect a game such as Minecraft to level such expectations. Minecraft is a simple game that blew up in a stroke of luck.
My arguments boil down to: He's an idiot for expecting Minecraft to change. Bitching about it in a games forum won't solve anything.

Now, about your stataments.
I do believe it is a hipster reaction, why on earth would you call a game your "favorite isometric RPG" (what the fuck is even that mate) and then suddenly remove this title... because the game... didn't change? This is controversial.
Again, it hasn't been turned down into anything, are we following things here? It hasn't changed much, hence why OP is bitching.
I don't have to re-explain everything again, you're contradicting yourself and what OP stated, if the game hasn't changed (which is why OP is bitching in the first place) why would the original fanbase get upset?
Oh wait, i know. Because Hipsters.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane

Thats more like it.
I do agree with you in every point, but seems that your hatred towards me might make you misinterpret some of my statements.
First, i do not think that the game doesn't need updates because it's famous, this doesn't even make sense. I do believe it needs "cool" updates, but it is obviously incapable of doing so, accept that.
I indeed said it is naive to expect a game such as Minecraft to level such expectations. Minecraft is a simple game that blew up in a stroke of luck.
My arguments boil down to: He's an idiot for expecting Minecraft to change. Bitching about it in a games forum won't solve anything.

Now, about your stataments.
I do believe it is a hipster reaction, why on earth would you call a game your "favorite isometric RPG" (what the fuck is even that mate) and then suddenly remove this title... because the game... didn't change? This is controversial.
Again, it hasn't been turned down into anything, are we following things here? It hasn't changed much, hence why OP is bitching.
I don't have to re-explain everything again, you're contradicting yourself and what OP stated, if the game hasn't changed (which is why OP is bitching in the first place) why would the original fanbase get upset?
Oh wait, i know. Because Hipsters.
Holy shit you are a gigantic moron.

I'd accept that argument if Mc had been a quick fad that happened because PewDiePie or 4player or whatever posted a video on youtube. But it's been years already and it's still going, with a big community and dozens of games trying to ride the wave of crafting or procedural generation (or outright "yeah, this is Minecraft, but with _____" clones). It's doing something right.

Farage

Arcane
Patron
Holy shit you are a gigantic moron.
No u

Here, let me try to explain it in a diferent point of view:

Let's say you eat a steak in a local restaurant everyday.
The steak is pretty simple, is has only olive oil drizzled over it and it is seasoned with salt and pepper.
You eat it everyday, its delicious, you don't even need anything else to go with it, just the plain steak with some wine and its good to go.
Eventually, you wanna try diferent things and switch up to a restaurant that is near your place, they serve seafood.
After eating seafood for almost a decade you eventually come back to the steak restaurant.
You order the steak, as you use to do. It comes to your table like it use to do. The plain steak, with nothing else except the olive oil drizzled over it.
You get mad. You smash the table you slap the waiter. "What the fuck is this shit?!"- You yell at the waiter.
He replies: "Its the steak sir, its like we've always done it, why are you mad?" - Asked the waiter
After throwing the steak out the window you reply: "Well, why the fuck haven't you improved into making the steak?! There are so many possibilities!!"
"You could have used pesto sauce in it, barbecue sauce, had some french fries to come with it, some potato puree, some fucking garlic bread, some wine sauce, SO MANY POSSIBILITIES!!!" - You replied while dreweling from your mouth
"Yes, we know, but our steak sells, and people like it. Why would we change it?" - Said the waiter confused
"Exactly! Why the fuck is this even famous? Its just a simple steak, it has nothing special on it! What the fuck!"
"After i tried other shit, this doesn't level my expectations! I want something better, something like the delicious french sauces i have tried." - You replied while glancing the seiling with your arms open like jesus in the cross
Everyone in the restaurant start clapping their hands over how glorious your sauce speech was and follow you like the new messiah of the steak preparation.
And then one guy stands up and tell how retardaded you are, for expecting them to change just to level your childish expectations over the fact that it got famous.
In a blink your followers rip that guy apart and eat its flesh while smashing his bones together to make you a brand new necklace. He was new there anyways, so fuck him.

Does this sound familiar?

Farage

Arcane
Patron

I'd accept that argument if Mc had been a quick fad that happened because PewDiePie or 4player or whatever posted a video on youtube. But it's been years already and it's still going, with a big community and dozens of games trying to ride the wave of crafting or procedural generation (or outright "yeah, this is Minecraft, but with _____" clones). It's doing something right.
It's not "still going", its just going. Its just a game, like any other else.
It has got its mark on the game indrustry, but thats it, people just recognize Minecraft as a name now, its just famous.
Theres videos on youtube of people playing: Pokemon, Hearthstone, League of Legends, AuctionHouse3, FlappyShit AND Minecraft.
Its not a gigantic sensation, its just there, people know it and people play it eventually.
But everytime someone mentions it with a sarcastic needy of approval way it slowly starts to take on the sensation again. Fucking Hipsters.

So it blew up in a stroke of luck, but it's not a passing fad. It's not a gigantic sensation, but it's really famous. It's very mainstream, but hipsters also like it.

:drink:

I think that what you are trying to say is that it doesn't deserve its popularity.

Farage

Arcane
Patron
So it blew up in a stroke of luck, but it's not a passing fad. It's not a gigantic sensation, but it's really famous. It's very mainstream, but hipsters also like it.

:drink:

I think that what you are trying to say is that it doesn't deserve its popularity.
Yes, yes. I am.
It blew up in a stroke of luck years ago, which means its still slowly fading.
And i don't really think hipsters like it, do they? I mean, OP is clearly one.

Is that dude pouring ink into a cup? And wearing a Pip-Boy?

LordDralnu

Barely Literate
I have played this game is one of a kind. It also does what it was intended when I purchased it. Keep my nine year old busy. It does just that and also keeps me sain from the constant dad dad daddy poppa pop dad line I get so often when she is bored. Lolz

Avellion

Erudite
Mojang are gouging children parents.

about-logo.png

https://minecraft.net/realms

Quotes from the features section include.

"Good Value"
"Up to 20 players can be invited to a Realms server, and up to 10 of them can play at any one time"

Hey kids, for only 10 euros from mommy and daddy's wallet you can now play online with your friends on a gimped server that will not support more than 20 people and cannot support more than 10 simulatious players... it's a steal.

SoupNazi

That's actually perfect. I wouldn't want my kids to be exposed to 4chan and RPGCodex lunatics, and if I didn't have the know-how to set up my own server, I don't think €10 is in any way crazy.

Destroid

Arcane
Minecraft is pretty demanding on the server, you can take a look at what other hosts are charging and decide if its good value or not.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
You won't get a server that can handle 10 player for much less money at a regular hosting company, so it seems fair enough.

Servo

Arcane
I tried playing Minecraft again recently. After about 4 hrs resource collecting and base building I realized I had been bored as fuck for the past 3.5 hrs and promptly killed myself.

I tried playing Minecraft again recently. After about 4 hrs resource collecting and base building I realized I had been bored as fuck for the past 3.5 hrs and promptly killed myself.

The best mod for it I think it called Better Than Wolves. It makes things more difficult and introduces sort of more progression and more multi block machines/tools, but the lack of purpose and challenge still makes it boring pretty quickly.

I still think a game of that type can be awesome, but it needs an actual design and tight integration of the free-form gameplay into some meaningful context. Instead of just building structures for no reason other than aesthetics, the game world should be harsh and require the player to build those structures to survive. Acquiring resources should be challenging, and require their own structures and supply chains for pretty much every resource. Things like hunger, thirst, temperature, tiredness should all play a role. And ultimately, there need to be some powerful enemies that require the player to build defenses, and build up the industry to produce weaponry to gradually take them on. Minecraft is only the very foundation for such a game, but it showed the potential, I hope someone else takes the next steps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom