Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game Date?

Skaw

Novice
What it's the expected data to come out for this game?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Thursday sounds like a perfect day to release the game. Definitely Thursday.

MisterStone

Arcane
Haven't you been reading the threads on General Discussion?

Look, dammit... the planet is facing an energy crisis. The breakdown of civilization is imminent in the near future. Release the game as soon as possible so you can use the proceeds to buy a well-stocked, secluded private fortress out in the Northwestern Territories, where you can survive by ice fishing and clubbing seals once the end comes.

stargelman

Scholar
MisterStone said:
Look, dammit... the planet is facing an energy crisis. The breakdown of civilization is imminent in the near future. Release the game as soon as possible so you can use the proceeds to buy a well-stocked, secluded private fortress out in the Northwestern Territories, where you can survive by ice fishing and clubbing seals once the end comes.
Why wait? I'm clubbing a juicey baby seal right now from the comfort of my living room!

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
MisterStone said:

Heh, coincidently I am moving up to the Northwest Territories right now where I'll actually have access to a fortress and a small armory of weapons. :wink:

MisterStone

Arcane
Sovy Kurosei said:
Heh, coincidently I am moving up to the Northwest Territories right now where I'll actually have access to a fortress and a small armory of weapons. :wink:

Don't forget your baseball bat! No point wasting good ammo on a seal...

(edit: fixed quotation tag)

dagorkan

Arbiter
MisterStone said:

It's true. We're going crazy over here, of RPG-starvation. If you don't release the game Thursday... bad stuff might happen.

Mayday

Augur
Actually, it would have to be Last Thursday, so that won't work, like, ever.

Fez

Erudite
You should update your website with the new interface screen shots. If you are going to advertise the game, you may as well show it at its best.

User was nabbed fit

This might be a question that gets brought up a lot; could you give a % reflecting how much of the game is completed as a whole? Or by different aspects if that's better (i.e. the story, the pretti grafix, the engine/coding, the music/sound, et cetera).

Fez said:
You should update your website with the new interface screen shots. If you are going to advertise the game, you may as well show it at its best.

/agrees

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Is this game going to be released this year? In the fall? Next month, maybe, hopefully?

Also what is the magic number of units sold in a giving period (say, six months) that you'd consider making games full time?

Vault Dweller

Developer
ViolentOpposition said:
This might be a question that gets brought up a lot; could you give a % reflecting how much of the game is completed as a whole? Or by different aspects if that's better (i.e. the story, the pretti grafix, the engine/coding, the music/sound, et cetera).
Hard to say, really. Look at it this way. Suppose you decide to make a table one day. You figure out that it would take a couple of days and start working. In a couple of days the table is completed and you proudly observe your masterpiece. Hmm... The good news is it's definitely a fucking table and nobody would confuse it with a chair. The bad news is the table leaves much to be desired. In my opinion, at least, but then again, in this particular case, my opinion is the one that truly matters. So, you start tinkering with the table: replace a leg or two, add some drawers, carve some details, and polish this fucker until you hate the day when you decided to make it.

So, from one, purely technical point of view, you can say that it's 100% done and playable. From a more demanding point of view, it's about 60% done, meaning that I would like to replace about 40% given an opportunity (just like we replaced the interface, for example). I can post a list of things I want to fix, if someone's interested and, perhaps, would like to help.

Here is another explanation. Gothic 3 was shipped when all the pieces were put together. It was a brilliant, but absolutely unpolished game, which is a shame, because

a) it almost killed PB and whether or not the studio will recover is unclear.
b) it ruined gameplay for many players and created an impression that the game sucked.

The game should have been in development for at least another 6 months or another year. That's the mistake that we are trying to avoid. Unlike a real development studio, we don't work full time, so a few months of regular development time mean 6 months worth of work for us. Well, patience is a virtue.

We are still tweaking the combat system and animations. When we are done, which, hopefully, will be within days, we'll post a combat article with new screens to give you guys something to discuss.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sovy Kurosei said:
Is this game going to be released this year? In the fall? Next month, maybe, hopefully?
When it's done.

Also what is the magic number of units sold in a giving period (say, six months) that you'd consider making games full time?
No clue. Depends on the distribution method. The portals want 30-40%, which is too much. We can probably do it ourselves or maybe team up with the other indie studios (I discussed it with PWG's Jason), so we'll see. I don't expect a lot of sales from AoD, as I stated many times before. At best, we can hope for a decent game, well received by its intended audience and 10-15k copies in the first year. That won't be enough to start making games full time, but more than enough to give us all hope and reason to continue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom