Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game of the year?

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Since there were a few good RPGs released in 2014 like Grimrock 2, Wasteland 2, M&M X, D:OS and Bioware will release DA3 perhaps we could have a vote for the best RPG of 2014 in late January or sometime in February. You know so that some quality dev could write "RPG Codex best RPG of 2014" on some GOTY edition of his game.

I don't know, there are probably a few devs out there who wouldn't want such a label on their product, or at least not display it so prominently.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
I don't know what the heck is going on. I was lost for a while, frustrated at not being able to find any decent RPG games like wot I used to play. As a result I spent a whole while trying to get hold of games like Bards Tale, Wasteland, FF7 and Ultima IV installed and working on my PC.

I happen to stumble on RPG Codex when searching for some reviews and now we have RPG coming out of all my orifices. Of all the decent RPG that has come out this year - I probably won't even have time to play them all THIS YEAR.

Had a good go at Lords Of Xulima, which was not listed by OP, but then I still need to get my act together and plow through Wasteland 2, DoS, M&M X, Elminage Gothic, Legend of Grimrock - I am already exhausted.

On top of that I really need to play Wasteland 1 again.

I can't remember better time to be RPG fan since Ultima IV and V were being published.

I didn't list LoX because it's in Early Access, which means it's not released and doesn't have to be released this year.

groke

Gangrelrumbler
learned

Learned
[lur-nid for 1–3; lurnd for 4]
adjective
having much knowledge; scholarly; erudite:
learned professors.
connected or involved with the pursuit of knowledge, especially of a scholarly nature:
a learned journal.
of or showing learning or knowledge; well-informed:
learned in the ways of the world.
acquired by experience, study, etc.:
learned behavior.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, given the oldschool RPG renaissance, maybe we should make an official GOTY award (like the one RPGWatch has :M).

Also, I hope AoD doesn't come out this year. Otherwise I'll have an extremely hard time deciding what game to vote for.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Game? Not stricted to RPG?
Then choice is easy - The Dark Mod standalone version. Not only because it's free and better than CockRings of Fire aka thi4f but because it's good game overall.

I don't want to butt in but I made this tread to discuss if, and if yes then how and when should the voting be done, not to decide what is the game of the year. It's only October. For all we know Clive might release Grimoir tomorrow and make this discussion irrelevant.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
You know so that some quality dev could write "RPG Codex best RPG of 2014" on some GOTY edition of his game.
I don't think that's gonna happen. Codexers generally don't believe that being a straight white male is a sin, and as a result everyone thinks we're Nazis.

You know so that some quality dev could write "RPG Codex best RPG of 2014" on some GOTY edition of his game.
I don't think that's gonna happen. Codexers generally don't believe that being a straight white male is a sin, and as a result everyone thinks we're Nazis.

I doubt that any publisher would not stick GOTY from a rather popular sity on his game even if it was run by actual Nazis. I remember some indie dev writing on his website about getting on the top 70 list after all.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Since there were a few good RPGs released in 2014 like Grimrock 2, Wasteland 2, M&M X, D:OS and Bioware will release DA3 perhaps we could have a vote for the best RPG of 2014 in late January or sometime in February. You know so that some quality dev could write "RPG Codex best RPG of 2014" on some GOTY edition of his game.

Everyone would just vote for Dragon: Inquisition to troll Bioware.

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure Original Sin is going to win.

Ok, let me get this straight, I'm interested about a consensus so I'm going to make a voting thread, official or not unless someone else will make something like that before I do. Now, would voting period from beginning to the end of February (so that people would get chance to play games released around Christmas) be all right? Is it too late? And how should it be done. I'm for the system with 3 positions where the first game gets 3 points, the second 2 and the last 5, or for a system where everyone gets 3/5 points he can distribute however he please.

Eyeball

Arcane
Not really a discussion we need to have, since MM10 is by far the best RPG released in 2014.

Nice HOMM2 avatar, though.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom