Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game of Thrones RPG

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
You know the one I'm talking about, that seemingly DA1 rip off RPG.

It's actually one RPG I haven't tried at all, so was going to ask the friendly community here, is it a decent game?
Worth playing? Any redeeming features?

That is all.

Dreaad

Arcane
Yeah, I looked at that thread earlier and some others, none seem to have actually played the thing. Combat can't be worse than DA2 and I put up with that so... (christ just for mentioning that game they are going to attack me again).

DemonKing

Arcane
I liked it - the combat is rarely challenging but the actual story is top notch (keeping in mind that it takes a while to get going as similar to the books, you actually play the game from two different perspectives in alternate chapters). The graphics are not that hot but the art design is pretty good. Just be prepared for some pretty nasty stuff to happen along the way to the game's conclusion (in a good way).

Modron

Arcane
I would say if you enjoyed the KotOR series GoT would be right up your alley, combat is pretty similar round based real time but fortunately the game isn't as saturated with trash mobs as that series. Story is pretty good and at times grimdark done right. The game was stable only had one CTD and did not encounter any bugs.

If you do enjoy the game, do yourself a favor and avoid Of Orcs and Mens and Mars: War Logs; they might look similar in the sense they use the same engine and are published by the same company that developed GoT but Spiders developed those games and they are lacking as a result.

If you just looked at reviews you would think the game is pretty shitty but in my opinion those scores are more reflective of low bribe monies spending on ads and being one of those unfortunate games that reviewers eviscerate just so they can pretend they are still objective.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've bought this on release but only played a few hours due to Lack Of Time (TM). What I've experienced was decent, if very linear, but the characters were interesting and the story seemed pretty cool. As for the RPG mechanics, they were serviceable, but nothing to write home about. Definitely a game for storyfag RPGamers.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Extremely linear with poor level design and very bad voice acting. I'm not sure why people find it a good story, it's very bellow par in terms of writing when compared to either the books or the TV show and you can see the obligatory "twists" a mile away, but then again, after years of decline, people will welcome anything with open arms i guess.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Extremely linear with poor level design and very bad voice acting. I'm not sure why people find it a good story, it's very bellow par in terms of writing when compared to either the books or the TV show and you can see the obligatory "twists" a mile away, but then again, after years of decline, people will welcome anything with open arms i guess.

Well, I thought it was pretty obvious that everybody was comparing it to other modern c(a)RPGs out there (say from the last 7 years) and not to fucking books. And then still, it does not drift far away from the books plot-wise. It is pretty solid. And if you think there are better modern c(a)RPGs out there storywise then, well, good luck in pointing them out...

zwanzig_zwoelf

Mors is cool. Alester is a cunt. Story is quite good.
Beheading of a bitch was one of the most epic moments in the game.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Well, I thought it was pretty obvious that everybody was comparing it to other modern c(a)RPGs out there (say from the last 7 years) and not to fucking books. And then still, it does not drift far away from the books plot-wise. It is pretty solid. And if you think there are better modern c(a)RPGs out there storywise then, well, good luck in pointing them out...

From the top of my head, i would say that in terms of computer action rpg's, both Bloodlines and New Vegas have better dialogue and story, with the added bonus of non linear gameplay and level design.

My problem with this game's writing is down to the developers trying too hard to emulate the source material, they use violence, foul language and the "ugliness" of the "bad" characters and the big bad unjust "world", there is no respite but for the constant fighting, murder, betrayal and rape... just because in their minds they think that's what the books are all about (they aren't).

Considering the source material, yes, i think it's a badly written game, that does an injustice to the world and characters Martin crafted.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
From the top of my head, i would say that in terms of computer action rpg's, both Bloodlines and New Vegas have better dialogue and story, with the added bonus of non linear gameplay and level design.

My problem with this game's writing is down to the developers trying too hard to emulate the source material, they use violence, foul language and the "ugliness" of the "bad" characters and the big bad unjust "world", there is no respite but for the constant fighting, murder, betrayal and rape... just because in their minds they think that's what the books are all about (they aren't).

Considering the source material, yes, i think it's a badly written game, that does an injustice to the world and characters Martin crafted.
To each its own I guess. Bloodlines was released in 2004 and it is debatable if it is "modern". New Vegas is a good game. Probably the best in the last 7-8 years. The plot however, is so so (on the better side). I mean, I really'd like to separate quality of dialogs from the plot itself. Game of Thrones has by far the better plot than NV, though dialogues may have been worse. VO is another issue. It is not consistent in the case of GoT. Some are very good, while some are bad. But I wouldn't call NV the pinnacle of voice acting either. It was serviceable, and that's all. Loads of bad acting in it as well. Bloodlines is a masterpiece, but then again, how many games of that quality VA you've had ever?

I don't agree with you when it comes to "bad adaptation of source material". You cannot contain in 15h game the complexity of 5000 page book. It would be more fitting to compare GoT game, to merely a few chapters or a sidekick story within the book. And it did fine. I don't know, where you got the idea that everything was collated to "uglines", "bad", "foul language" and so on. Yes, it is unjust world, like in the books. Yes, world is portrayed as unforgivable in which you need to pay your deeds sooner or later, and there will be no fae coming and kissing your ass and absolve your sins. But there is also an element of "good" in the whole story. Mors is fucking example of lawful-chaotic good character depending which ending you choose. And it is not only about the ending. Throughout the story he is a good chivalrous person. And there are some characters which are good as well. The thing is, that the characters that you perceive as "evil" are often forced to do so in order to survive. There are exceptions of course, like main villain or Cersei, which seem to be completely evil, but again, it is not a whole saga, but merely a snapshot of their take on the events portrayed in the story of the game.
Alistair, for example is a very nice example of the character turmoiled with his past deeds. He did wrongs and try to right them, but as you learn about why he did it, you realise that his choice was between "worse" and "worst". Either he will betray his friend, or he will lose everything (lands, family etc.). Don't fucking tell me that it is not an important part of the GoT idea (e.g., Jon Connington case - during rebellion forced to go exile loosing all the lands because he decided to stay with the king and yet proclaimed the traitor by the same king).
Overall, during the course of the game he is not a bad person though. He merely tries to find the best solution out of the shit he is sitting in. In the end we learn that he was a doomed person no matter what he will do. Either by people around him or by his own conscience. In my book, he is a great character (probably one of the best "tragic-hero" characters in games ever).

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
It was ok.

Don't spend more than $5 on it.

Still story was decent enough especially if you are ASoIaF fan

Name

Cipher
I would say if you enjoyed the KotOR series GoT would be right up your alley, combat is pretty similar round based real time but fortunately the game isn't as saturated with trash mobs as that series. Story is pretty good and at times grimdark done right. The game was stable only had one CTD and did not encounter any bugs.

If you do enjoy the game, do yourself a favor and avoid Of Orcs and Mens and Mars: War Logs; they might look similar in the sense they use the same engine and are published by the same company that developed GoT but Spiders developed those games and they are lacking as a result.

If you just looked at reviews you would think the game is pretty shitty but in my opinion those scores are more reflective of low bribe monies spending on ads and being one of those unfortunate games that reviewers eviscerate just so they can pretend they are still objective.

+1

I never understand why Game of Throne C(onsole)RPG is rated averagely (around 50 marks) while Of Orcs and Men can receive good ratings (like 70-80).
The Latter's writing is so bad that I only remember the deadly cringeworthy mention of "mind rape".
As for Game of Throne, they get the grimdark part all right, although lacking the idealism and chivalry of original novels. That's what you get from the nowadays corrupted mainstream culture. But it's way better than the HBO series which only get the hype and nudity and shock value!

Bottom line: A game for storyfags or fans of original novels. Recommend to play under easier difficulties to avoid the frustration of combat system/encounter design and near-end game filler mob fights. It's certainly one of the better RPGs last year.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Finally got around to playing it and I'm now at Chapter 8. Despite all the shortcomings it's somehow strangely compelling, probably because of how they framed the narrative with the two characters and their stories intertwining. I'm also not sure how much C&C is actually in the game because it doesn't obviously spell it out for you with THIS IS OPTION A, THIS IS OPTION B the way certain other games do. Usually.

I really, really wish the VA wasn't so half-assed for the most part, though.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can't think of any major C&C in this game. Only one that springs to mind is Alester's handling of the riots and that having some effect on what happens later.
Also magnar is OP as hell.

Dreaad

Arcane
Finally got around to playing it and I'm now at Chapter 8. Despite all the shortcomings it's somehow strangely compelling, probably because of how they framed the narrative with the two characters and their stories intertwining. I'm also not sure how much C&C is actually in the game because it doesn't obviously spell it out for you with THIS IS OPTION A, THIS IS OPTION B the way certain other games do. Usually.

I really, really wish the VA wasn't so half-assed for the most part, though.
Yeah just wait a couple more chapter's and the combat will really start to get to you, I don't think I've ever literally fallen asleep while playing any other game.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I think this game is massively underrated. People shit on the combat, but it's really not much worse than Dragon Age/KOTOR. I even liked the way that it focused more on stacking various moves with cumulative effects on the enemies (like, for example bleeding or fire) rather than super powerful moves that did a lot of damage in themselves as it does open the way for some amount of strategy to be used (especially if you play on hard as you will have to maximize these effects in order to survive). Its biggest problem is that it's not very balanced, with some moves (like the stun/trip moves) being super overpowered, which makes fighting single enemies a joke (seriously, the final boss is laughable because it just involves spamming the leg sweep or dog stun attack over and over to stun the enemy, then beating on them. It is, quite literally, the easiest fight in the entire game. Especially compared to some of the bigger group fights which can be quite difficult).

Minor combat quirks aside, though, its biggest flaw is mostly just limited production values. The voice acting is often shit, level design is limited (but, again, really no worse than your average Bioware game so I don't understand why critics shit on the linear level design in this yet give Dragon Age and Mass Effect a pass), and the world's not all that interactable (again: Bioware too). But as a fan of the books, I actually thought the game does a really good job of recreating the universe, tone, and style of the books without seeming like they are merely ripping off plot points from the books. I very rarely get invested in video game plots just because they are usually so shit, but this is one of those rare RPGs that I actually stayed up late playing just because I wanted to see what would happen.

Plus, I loved the fact that it basically makes one of its main characters who you play as for half the game a total asshole, and not only that, but it also kind of shows him slowly turning into an asshole through the course of the game. Main characters who are personally loathesome are present all the time in movies, books, and TV, but video games rarely do it, and it's even rarer that characters will change/develop significantly over the course of a game, so I give the game lots of cred for that. Also, the general idea of having two main playable characters who eventually turn on eachother to become eachother's main antagonist is a neat one. KOTOR 2 kind of did this with Krea, but not to the extent that GOTRPG does it.

Name

Cipher
The only fault of game in my opinion is the end game chapter mob rush (King's Landing Dungeon).
Same with the whole Beyond the Wall DLC.
They should have kept the fighting vs plotting ratio to the earlier chapters.

oscar

Arcane
I really enjoyed it. A shame the stuns are abusable otherwise the combat would be very solid.

I think I primarily found it interesting because the main characters are quite unorthodox and have a much more interesting development than we usually get in RPG protagonists. A fine line between asshole and bro is trod.

Scrub

Novice
I think this game is massively underrated. People shit on the combat, but it's really not much worse than Dragon Age/KOTOR. I even liked the way that it focused more on stacking various moves with cumulative effects on the enemies (like, for example bleeding or fire) rather than super powerful moves that did a lot of damage in themselves as it does open the way for some amount of strategy to be used (especially if you play on hard as you will have to maximize these effects in order to survive). Its biggest problem is that it's not very balanced, with some moves (like the stun/trip moves) being super overpowered, which makes fighting single enemies a joke (seriously, the final boss is laughable because it just involves spamming the leg sweep or dog stun attack over and over to stun the enemy, then beating on them. It is, quite literally, the easiest fight in the entire game. Especially compared to some of the bigger group fights which can be quite difficult).

^This

All in all i actually thought the game was an above average aRPG. Quests that have multiple outcomes instead of just pass/fail, moral choices that arent just "save the kitties or rape them to death" and dialogue which might actually influence what happens.

With that said, it wasnt the best thing i ever played, the voice acting ranged from okay to fucking horribad, and the main plotline was a cliche. Still beats such AAA releases as DA and ME imo

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
For me, it was a really good surprise. Despite being in terms of gameplay a Dragon Age/Witcher wannabe (not the best source material), the story is really good, the writing have its moments but it's a lot better than we're used to, and the main characters are really well done, they are the engine of the plot, and without them, the plot by itself would be nothing.

Yeah, the actual gameplay is kinda boring, but I'm a storyfag, so... the good parts outweigh the bad ones.

Name

Cipher
What is the team doing now, since Cyanide's Of Orcs and Men and Mars Warlog are both made by another team?

BBMorti

Arcane
Yeah, I looked at that thread earlier and some others, none seem to have actually played the thing. Combat can't be worse than DA2 and I put up with that so... (christ just for mentioning that game they are going to attack me again).
ehGPK9V.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom