Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game of Thrones RPG

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Minor combat quirks aside, though, its biggest flaw is mostly just limited production values. The voice acting is often shit, level design is limited (but, again, really no worse than your average Bioware game so I don't understand why critics shit on the linear level design in this yet give Dragon Age and Mass Effect a pass), and the world's not all that interactable (again: Bioware too). But as a fan of the books, I actually thought the game does a really good job of recreating the universe, tone, and style of the books without seeming like they are merely ripping off plot points from the books. I very rarely get invested in video game plots just because they are usually so shit, but this is one of those rare RPGs that I actually stayed up late playing just because I wanted to see what would happen.

Yeah, having finished the game I can definitely agree with you on this. Voice acting in particular is horrible, as if they had no voice directors to give the actors context for the lines they were delivering. Despite that I still find myself liking the game immensely even though the story is a really slow burner taking it's sweet time because of the way they framed the narrative, but when it all clicks together it's just marvelous. Especially how the stories of our two anti-hero protagonists are actually linked together. Mors, man. That's a good character.

Felix

Arcane
:necro:

Playing the game now, I didn't know how to feel about the game before but now I'm hooked, took a while for the story to get going though but it's damn worth it. And I feel the choices in this game are very hard to make since it feel like the situations almost always end up between a fucked up and even more fucked up, in a good way.

I don't see what the big problem with the combat is, its Real time with Slow motion and all the traits the characters can get are pretty cool and since most of the time you only control 2 people at most make it not feel like a clusterfuck unlike DAO. All the damage type thing make thing more interesting as well. Also, no filler combat up until now.:greatjob:

Name

Cipher
:necro:

Playing the game now, I didn't know how to feel about the game before but now I'm hooked, took a while for the story to get going though but it's damn worth it. And I feel the choices in this game are very hard to make since it feel like the situations almost always end up between a fucked up and even more fucked up, in a good way.

I don't see what the big problem with the combat is, its Real time with Slow motion and all the traits the characters can get are pretty cool and since most of the time you only control 2 people at most make it not feel like a clusterfuck unlike DAO. All the damage type thing make thing more interesting as well. Also, no filler combat up until now.:greatjob:

Well, brace yourself for some filler-ish combat in the last chapter, but the story and endings are worthy enough to get through those.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Combat is mediocre, but the story and the characters are quite entertaining, so you'll definitely enjoy the game until the end.

Multi-headed Cow

I even mostly liked the combat in GoT. It certainly wasn't good, but unlike Bioware action games it had way less filler. Both in general HP bloat (Enemies and the player both tend to get ded fairly quick) and in trash enemy encounters, and I was crawling over the areas more than I really needed to.

Reasonably fun game and definitely the high point of Focus published RPGs, though I haven't played the latest one. Uh... Demon something. Bound by Flame, that's it. Don't have high hopes after what Bruticis said after he played it, but I'll get to it eventually.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
the only thing the game has going for it, is the story, which is pretty good. Apart from that I remember wonky WASD controls, a mini map that shows jack shit, and standard-attack combat in which you just spam the default attack until you have regenerated enough stamina to make one of your bigger moves and back to default attack it is! Plus the win-any-combat-and-defeat-the-arena-at-lvl4-strangler-poison-fueled shenanigans. Meh, would wait for a steam sale. Still way better than DAI though.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The game's villain was p. ridiculous.

Summoning two or three shadows out of nowhere at the flick of a hand

Felt good when you finally skewered that faggot though.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
The story is simply incredible. The combat neither filler, nor a masterpiece. After NWN 1 and 2 original campaings, I find GoT combat pretty decent, actually.

Certanly not worse than DA2:lol:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I liked the combat, and I LOVED the story. YMMV.

If you like Game of Thrones, I'm hard pressed to see why you wouldn't like this. Also, give the story some time to get off the ground. The first hour can be tiresome.

Malpercio

Arcane
I really enjoyed my time with it. Main characters are great and villain is pretty gud.

Combat isn't even that bad, since apart from the ending rush, there isn't much trash. Enjoy it much more than DAO.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
By the end you destroy everything anyway if you saved your shekels for best armour and weapons.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I liked the combat, and I LOVED the story. YMMV.

If you like Game of Thrones, I'm hard pressed to see why you wouldn't like this. Also, give the story some time to get off the ground. The first hour can be tiresome.
Agreed (although I didn't exactly like the combat, but it wasn't bothersome)

I think the guys at Cyanide did a much better job with the source material than CD Projekt did with The Witcher series (and I quite like the second one storywise. The first one... not so much).

I would go as far to say Mors and Alester are whorty of any TOP list of best characters of all time, not only for RPGs, but for any genre. Same for the story. While some side stuff and characters are not that well written, all that have to do with the main plot is really top notch material.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Combat wasn't so bad mechanically it's just that there was no impact to attacks or abilities on models (aside from knock down moves). That's kind of a problem when you are that zoomed in to detailed models of dudes making huge brutal swings at each other.

Felix

Arcane
Got to the torture scene, that was gruesome but I wanted to hear Mors sharp tongue lol.

Felix

Arcane
Just finished chapter 11 and when I thought I can finally get rid of that little shit......

:rage:

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
If you like Game of Thrones, I'm hard pressed to see why you wouldn't like this.

IMHO, you only can like it, if you already like Game of Thrones. Got a great GRRM-style story, but gameplay-wise it's just mediocre at best.:S The combat especially seemed pretty wonky to me IIRC, quite random & messy.

If you're looking for a good RPG, skip it. If you're a GoT/ASoIaF fan, wait 'til it's on sale for 5,10$ and give it a shot.

Felix

Arcane
Actually, I don't even care about and I've never touched GoT beside a few TV episodes but I'm really enjoying it.

I even wish more RPG with system like this instead of some clusterfuck of RTwP

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If you like Game of Thrones, I'm hard pressed to see why you wouldn't like this.

IMHO, you only can like it, if you already like Game of Thrones. Got a great GRRM-style story, but gameplay-wise it's just mediocre at best.:S The combat especially seemed pretty wonky to me IIRC, quite random & messy.

If you're looking for a good RPG, skip it. If you're a GoT/ASoIaF fan, wait 'til it's on sale for 5,10$ and give it a shot.
You don't need to be a ASoIaF fan to enjoy it, just a storyfag. Being a fan is a plus, but the story holds very well on it's own.
Obviously if you dislike ASoIaF you probably won't like it, but anyone that hasn't seen the show or read the books and is a storyfag should be able to enjoy the game.

oscar

Arcane
The game's story is far more interesting than most of the plot arcs of the show or even the book itself.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Enjoyed it more than ME1 and ME3, DAO and first Twicher as combat goes its :popamole:but done right (its not as frustrating as in DA2 and DA3) and story, characters and art direction are all superb; unlike Origins its Grimdark well done. :brodex:for Cyanide.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
I bought a hat for Alester that had superior stats to my old one. It looked like this:

30883E6AD7F93D49A0FE64F59599ACAFFDFAF9CD

:x

Last edited:

Felix

Arcane
Just finished the game, damn, that was good.
Mors returning to the Night Watch is the only true ending for Mors, now for Alester's

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just finished the game, damn, that was good.
Mors returning to the Night Watch is the only true ending for Mors, now for Alester's
His death is true ending. OUTLAWS MY ASS! Alester is unbro, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom