Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game of Thrones Season 2

Discussion in 'Codex Public Library' started by Dicksmoker, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Dicksmoker Liturgist

Dicksmoker
    So, it premieres in a few hours. The old thread got bloated, so I thought I'd make a new one. I'll post my impressions after watching.

Hi hiver.

So, I'm still pissed that this season only gets ten episodes. I know the first season only got ten and it worked out alright, but there's a lot more going on in this season. As far as the amount of pages are concerned, book 2 isn't that much longer than book 1, but the world and events expand dramatically. It's called the War of Five Kings after all. Book/season 1 was really just an introduction before the real story gets going. So I called it then and I'm standing by this now - they won't be able to do justice to everything with just ten episodes this season like they were, more or less, able to with the first. It'll either be so crammed as to border on incoherent or they will have to cut things. I'd like to be wrong, but I don't think so. We'll see though.

They've confirmed at least that there will be battles this season though, so I'm interested in seeing how those turn out.

Post impressions!

Btw do we have spoiler tags yet?
  2. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
  3. Kosmonaut Lost in Space

Kosmonaut
    First chapter was shit. And from this is going down the shitter.
  4. Comrade Goby Learned

Comrade Goby
    Project: Eternity
    I want to see more of Melisandre
  5. Dicksmoker Liturgist

Dicksmoker
    Wow, what a brutal ending. I'm glad they're not shying away from these things, but...damn. Sure to get viewers' attentions.

Liked how they segwayed that into an Arya/Gendry cliffhanger. Good way to end the episode and draw more without being too overtly cliffhangerish. Also nice way to suddenly make Gendry more important in the viewers' eyes.

Overall I think the episode was very well done. The methods they used for transitioning (i.e. the comet, lines of dialogue) between the different plot areas were clever and worked. They managed to hit everything and everyone except Renly. I'm sure he'll be in the next episode.

Definitely able to foreshadow most of the important events as well. Those of you who've read the books should know what I mean.

Liked Craster. Casting and acting hit it for him.

Not sure about Stannis though. Have to watch more. He didn't feature as much in this episode as I thought he would.

Also loved the "extra" scenes (i.e. those not in the books). This is really one of the main appeals (for me) of watching the show. The Littlefinger/Cersei scene was great. Showing their different approaches, Cersei lacking subtlety and just trying to dominate everyone. Fit her perfectly. I wonder whose approach is more valid... Anyway I'm also game for seeing more of Littlefinger everytime. This actor really is doing a great job and it's hard for me to imagine him now with a New England accent.

Also liked the Joff/Cersei scene where he confronts her over Stannis' letter. Finally seeing those two butt heads was nice.

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion is awesome as always.

Only thing I thought was stupid was the Ros scene where she mirrors Littlefinger's EXACT WORDS from that sexposition scene last season. I mean really? And she's now "mistress of the whores?" Just wtf are they doing with this character?

Anyway it'll be interesting to see the ratings.

EDIT: By reading some people's reactions it seems like most non-book-readers think it was Joffrey who ordered the killing of the bastards. I'm pretty sure the writers didn't intend that.
  6. Revenant Erudite

Revenant
    Well my impressions seem to be opposite than the OP's. I have watched Season 1 without reading the books and I thought it was great; however, I have already read A Clash of Kings and the new episode seemed very bland to me. I understand that the financing is the issue here, but substituting Riverrun for some battle camp simply doesn't do it for me.

I didn't like Craster's acting at all. I imagined him to be more like Crag Hack in appearance, and in the series he looked much too orderly for a wildling barbarian who fucks his daughters. I also imagined his hold to be much grimmer than was protrayed in the series.
  7. Ringhausen Learned

Ringhausen
    I thought the pacing was off, Maester Cressan deserved to die in the end of the episode, not in the second scene. And the expository dialogue was annoying. I know showfags need it, but I can still remember it being smoother in the book.

Didn't like Stannis, imagined him having a deeper voice and being more pissed off. They must've given him the role since he was so good as Jefferson, but he talked too fast and his voice waivered. If they're reimagining the character like with Renly then we'll see. Mellisandre was very beautiful but not striking enough.

I liked that Cersei had more than one facial expression and the new scene with Littlefinger wasn't bad. The other HBO scenes were tolerable too.

I got the same impression. In one scene he's demanding to know if Robert had other children, the next they're killing them off. While Cersei seemed hurt by the accusation.
  8. Cowboy Moment Arcane

Cowboy Moment
    Can't wait to hear hiver's opinion on Cersei's scenes with Littlefinger and Joffrey. That will be great.

In all seriousness though, while the former is completely in character for Cersei, book Littlefinger would have never talked back to her like that. At this point I'm almost certain they changed the character concept for him, and he's supposed to be more of a moustache-twirling villain, rather than the subtle schemer Martin wrote him as.
  9. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    • Feel like I must be one of the only people on earth who pictured Craster to pretty much be exactly like he was on the show.
    • That goes for Stannis, too. I actually loved his self-entitled smirk. It showed smug authority, something which really defines his written character.
    • Ros can fuck off and die. Totally unnecessary waste of show space.
    • Dragons and Direwolf look "ok" for a TV show, but a bit glaring in their cgi-ness.
    • Didn't mind the "Hey, first episode. We have to do a lot, bear with us, pacing might plod a bit".
    • Loved Melissandre. Seriously.
    • Everything else had me pretty excited.
    Having read everything up through about 2/3rds of ADWD I have to remember that the show is different from the books. It's a tv show based on the books, not a tv show attempting to religiously follow the books. If I keep this in mind I think I'll very much enjoy this season. If I don't, I might not.
  10. Dicksmoker Liturgist

Dicksmoker
    Yeah I guess. But I read that as Cersei being confronted and realizing that something needs to be done. It seems to flow very logically but of course, I have book knowledge.

I'm sure it will be cleared up in the enxt episode at least.
  11. revealer Scholar

revealer
    The entire first scene with Tyrion returning to King's Landing felt so damn awkward, same as the burning of the old gods at dragonstone.
    Craster was good, Stannis could have been more pissed off in general as someone mentioned, but Melissandre seemed a bit.. weak?
    Everything else seemed fine. Bran's dream was nicely done as an introduction to the whole greenseer thing.

Btw why does Dontos have Kwa armor?
  12. Revenant Erudite

Revenant
    What? Maester Cressen died in the Prologue, so he should have died in the beginning of the episode, much like Royce and the other ranger died in the beginning of Season 1's debute.
  13. Ringhausen Learned

Ringhausen
    Royce and co had their own little adventure that didn't quite connect to the immediate plot. Cressen on the other hand set up the whole Stannis camp.
  14. Weierstraß Learned

Weierstraß
    Project: Eternity
    They'll probably reverse it and explain more next episode instead.

Any idea why Littlefinger was dubbed through half the "power is power" scene? Sounds like a completely different actor.
  15. Satori Prophet

Satori
    This guy's reviews were always entertaining to watch after seeing the show, he often picked up on things I missed or had a differing viewpoint.

16. praetor Scholar

praetor
    Craster was ok, Stannis looked more like a confused, insecure, halfwit cunt than the harsh, stern, hardass he's in the books (really terrible choice of actor), agreed that Melissandre was pretty weak, the CGI was really really lame (hell, i've seen better in games' cutscenes), the Petyr-Cersei scene was pretty lulzy, and that whole Ros thing beyond retarded. overall, my excitement for this thing has waned considerably
  17. Wulfstand Scholar

Wulfstand
    I felt a bit off, more than that actually, even a bit disappointed, by the first episode. Maybe I was just way too enthusiastic about the season premier, but even so, I don't know, something was a bit off. The episode was alright, I can't deny it, but I was just expecting that extra something that season 1 had. Then again, season 1's 1st episode didn't impress me either, so I guess I'll just have to wait for the next few episodes to come out.
    Other than that, the cast did an excellent job, especially Tyrion, who seems to be everyone's favorite, and Danny's bodyguard, what was it now, erm, thassit, Ser Jorah. I honestly hope to see more of Bronn and Littlefinger, some of my favorite actors, alongside the first two mentioned before. Oh and Jayme too, definitely Jayme, although he barely does fuck all in vol. 2.
    I just hope the show doesn't disappoint me, all in all, and that season 2 will live to the fans' expectations.
  18. TwinkieGorilla does a good job. Patron

TwinkieGorilla
    Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Honestly, there was so much ground to cover I thought they did a pretty excellent job of it. There was no way they were going to be able to satiate our expectations after waiting so long, so getting some of the more plodding bits out of the way seemed a good choice. The Guardian did a good job highlighting some of what I thought were strengths of the episode: http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-ra...apr/02/game-of-thrones-season-two-episode-one
  19. revealer Scholar

revealer
    It's interesting to see the things that confuse people that haven't read the books. Although even while I was reading the books, I was like OMG WTF when I read that Renly sudennly has an army of 100k, especially after knowing that Starks have 20k and Lanisters 60k.
    And nobody watching the series probably understood what it meant when it was said that Tyrell had sided with Renly. Basically, house Tyrell is the leading house of the second biggest (after the north) kingdom, the Highgarden.
    Here is a nice political map:
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]
  20. Dicksmoker Liturgist

Dicksmoker
    Btw HBO has updated their Viewer's Guide to be current with season 2, with new character trees and a new map, also showing all of Essos for the first time.
  21. Multidirectional Liturgist

Multidirectional
    I'm surely glad I haven't read the books, after seeing so many book readers being disappointed by showmakers interpretation of characters and such. This seemed like a really strong start to me, and while it isn't among the greatest shows I've seen, nothing in it is below my standards of enjoyment.
    Here's a Season 2 review from dude who hasn't read the books either, I like reading his recaps on various shows: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-a...e-of-thrones-is-bigger-and-better-in-season-2
  22. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    We should call him over and keep him in GD.

You must be joking or terminally insane. He often picks up things? Are you completely daft or extremely ironic?
    Like he thinks they had real but trained wolves in first season? And he thinks CGI and the size of the Greywind looked out of place now?
    He missed everything in first season, couldnt remember two names straight and ended up seriously screaming "Fuck you George Martin and fuck you producers!" when he saw Eddard Stark executed.

And everyone were like... "oh look how he got upset" (cause he was rooting for Ned all the time and everyone were waiting for that twist to see how he will freak out like a moron) and everyone were like... "yeah... well, lets just skip over that and pretend it was like a joke or something."
    While the guy is screaming Fuck You! to Martin by name which not even the biggest dissenters and haters did - in public like that, at least.

Hes a fucking moron and a joke, Just like dicksmoker. What the fuck is wrong with you?
    meanwhileInPoland Brofists this.
  23. Satori Prophet

Satori
    Sorry, can't allow direct download links to stuff like movies, shows, games, etc.

- Zed
    TwinkieGorilla, Esquilax and hoodoo Brofist this.
  24. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    :salute:
  25. Dicksmoker Liturgist

Dicksmoker
    The irony is strong in this one.

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)