Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game studios going belly-up in 2012

waywardOne

Arcane
There are, most likely, only three studios that could shake up the Codex.

If either Bethesda or BiowarEA goes belly-up, the long foretold LulZ Tsunami will mesmerize every Codexer. States of mind will be lost, Vollies will crack, Jaesuns will become catatonic as threads pop up in every forum, faster than he can move them. It will be a long time until things get back to normal.
I'd say except for a handful of self-deluded pre-suicides, BiowarEA is already considered dead. The only tremors that would be felt here once the gravestone is officially placed will be fending off the hordes of faggots and trannies escaping from BW Social.

Ermm

Erudite
Naah, when Bioware collapses, they will probably run to EA and EA related forums to spam their boards with their tears.

Micmu

Magister
Eh? biowarez as a company has long gone, along with most of the staff, including its founders. "bioware" is just EA trademark/subdivision. It will never go "belly up" as such - at some point they will just stop using it (when it loses marketability - and it's now very close).

MetalCraze

Arcane
As of right now Bioware is just a public name for something called "RPG/MMO division" in Electronic Arts.

Bio is dead. Just as predicted.

I like how it's "RPG/MMO" like they are the same. Oh wait yes

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Sad about Zipper: Mechwarrior 3 is one of my favorite games. And one of my buddies from high school was working for Paragon when it was shutdown. In fact, we were still in high school when he kept bugging me to sub to the newly released CoH and play it with him.

Xavier0889

Learned
If this Hudson Soft made the most recent Bomberman games then they deserve their death. That shit was rape, the exact definition of rape.
Also EA will never fade out. They've been around for decades and their sport franchises will feed them dollars and euros to no end. They have so much money that they can even hire guys who present themselves saying "I basically don't know anything about video games" (this was part of an official EA video).
Anyway, :salute: to those who made Homeworld Cataclysm and Robin Hood.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jaeun is still in denial, unable to accept that ME3 is virtually the same thing as ME2(which he liked). I feel for you bro, I also try to tell myself that COD 2 is still old school despite the regen health, as I liked it.

Severian Silk

Iron Tower Studios. Worse yet, they will close down on a Wednesday.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Lot of good times were had in CoX. :salute: Paragon studios and their free mini-expansions every 3 months. Nevar forget.
Shame about Zipper and Psygnosis too. But beyond that, none of them were really noteworthy. I mean, the only reason we gave half a shit about THQ was because of Relic.

Borelli

Arcane
I remember
when i was young
everytime i started lemmings
i would see an owl
that owl for me
is a symbol

RIP Psygnosis:salute:

Grim Monk

Arcane
They forgot GSC Game World, although the technically company still exists.
It's just that all actual the Developers have been laid off...

Dexter

Arcane
I wonder if there is a list with all the studios that were shut down in 2013, I looked but IGN apparently didn't continue their tradition, maybe they decided it would be too depressing in what it tells about the gaming industry, especially after the bankruptcy of THQ, LucasArts being shut down and some other major players recently. :lol:
Found one: http://8th-circuit.com/content/memoriam-game-studios-closed-2013
In Memoriam: Game Studios That Closed in 2013

star-wars-1313.jpg

2013 was a tumultuous year in the gaming industry. In the span of less than 12 months, we saw the fall of titans such as LucasArts and THQ, with the repercussions of those closures sending shock waves through the development community.
All told, over a dozen studios were shuttered over the past year. Some were closed far too soon, others lingered on long past their prime, but all of them will be missed.

THQ
thq.jpg

The biggest loss this year, at least in terms of industry sway, was THQ, formerly one the world's foremost video games publishers and developers. During its over two decades in operation, THQ and its subsidiaries produced franchises such as Saints Row, Darksiders, Company of Heroes, Red Faction, MX vs. ATV, as well as the WWE and Warhammer 40K games.
Even towards its end, the company employed hundreds of people, and whether or not you'll miss THQ's products, it was very sad to see so many talented game developers out of a job.

LucasArts
lucasarts_0.jpg

The slow, lingering demise of LucasArts finally came to a head in 2013. The iconic publisher and former developer had been an industry staple since 1982, producing some of the most memorable games in the medium's history. Unfortunately, dwindling interest in AAA Star Wars games and more than a few poor strategic decisions left the modern LucasArts a shell of its former self.
When Disney acquired its parent company Lucasfilm in October 2012, it closed down LucasArts in favor of a new policy that would see external developers tackling its licensed games.
Luckily, at least some of its properties, such as Battlefront, live on at EA. Although we're still waiting a final verdict on Star Wars 1313, and the outlook isn't looking great.

Vigil Games
vigil.jpg

Vigil Games had the unfortunate luck to become a THQ subsidiary in 2006. When THQ crumbled in late 2012, Vigil went down with it, sold in an auction as part of the bankruptcy hearings.
Despite two well-received games on its resume, Darksiders and its sequel, Vigil initially received no bids. In the end, Nordic Games acquired the Darksiders franchise, with Vigil as a studio ceasing to exist. Many former employees were hired by a new Crytek subsidiary, Crytek USA, with a number of others going to work at Retro, Battecry, and other studios.

Zynga Japan
zynga-japan.jpg

Zynga's Japanese studio was one of the first to go this year, officially closing its doors this past January. The studio was opened in 2010, originally localizing Zynga titles for Japan, then moving on to original games such as Montopia, Mojimoto, and Machitsuku.

Wizarbox
37706-wizarbox.jpg

Wizarbox was a French studio best known for their adventure games. They got their start in the industry producing Xbox ports such as Arx Fatalis, but moved on to their own projects in 2007.
Their 2008 game, So Blonde, was nominated for "best video game script" at the 2008 Writers' Guild of Great Britain Awards. Sadly, the studio filed for the French equivalent of Chapter 11 bankruptcy in December 2012, and officially ended all production in early 2013.

BioWare San Francisco
ea2d.jpg

BioWare San Francisco, formerly known as EA2D, worked on mobile titles such as Dragon Age Legends and Mirror's Edge 2D before being closed by its parent company, EA. According to GamesRadar, approximately 25 to 30 employees were laid off in the transition, with EA deeming it too expensive to produce mobile games in Redwood Shores.

Junction Point Studios
junction-point.jpg

Junction Point was founded by legendary game developer Warren Spector. The studio was founded in 2005, and began work on a Half-Life series spin-off, which was cancelled when the group was acquired by Disney in 2007.
Disney hoped that Junction Point would allow the company to tap into the AAA games market, but after disappointing sales of Epic Mickey and Epic Mickey 2, the studio was closed in January 2013.

Blitz Games
blitz.jpg

While officially unaffiliated with THQ, Blitz Games was one of the sad casualties of the distributor's bankruptcy. The studio had been around for over 20 years, producing dozens of projects, including Reservoir Dogs and Pac-Man World 3. THQ was the studio's primary publisher though, and with that financing gone, Blitz was unable to continue operations and closed its doors in September.

Zynga Baltimore
zynga_0.jpg

Zynga's Baltimore studio was responsible for CityVille 2, which never really caught on with the Facebook crowd like its predecessor did. The game was discontinued in February, and the project's studio went down with it.

Danger Close Studio
danger-close.jpg

Danger Close was an internal EA studio opened to focus on the company's Medal of Honor brand. After a disappointing return on 2012's Warfighter, the IP was put on hold, and Danger Close was dismantled, with at least some of the employees reassigned to different divisions at EA.

EA Phenomic
phenomic.jpg

A Germany-based EA subsidiary, Phenomic was responsible for a number of real-time strategy games including the SpellForce series, BattleForge, Lords of Ultima, and Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances.
The studio was known mainly for its hybrid RTS-MMO style, and while its games were not especially well-received, they're definitely responsible for pioneering online-only strategy games.

Impossible Studios
impossible-studios-logo.jpg

Impossible Studios was shuttered before it was even off the ground. The studio was founded by former developers at Big Huge Games, and was set to work on Infinity Blade: Dungeons. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the game was put on hold and Impossible Studios was closed after just eight months in operation.

Victory Games
20133010081548.jpg

Victory Games, a former BioWare off-shoot, was opened to focus on the Command & Conquer series for EA. The studio's first project, Command & Conquers: Generals 2, was revealed at the 2011 Spike VGAs. The following year, the project was shifted to a F2P game that dropped the "Generals" moniker. Finally, seemingly out of the blue, the game was cancelled outright in October, and the studio closed alongside it.

Funcom Beijing
funcom.jpg

While this studio never released its own game proper, it was responsible for a large amount of the art and animation for Funcom's Secret World MMO. The game was not the overnight success Funcom was hoping for though, and the team was scaled back after the game's launch, with the Beijing studio closed completely.

TimeGate Studios
timegatelogo-bnov12.jpg

TimeGate, the studio that Gearbox blames for the much reviled Aliens: Colonial Marines, was quite suddenly closed just months after announcing a new project. While the studio will probably be best remembered for its infamous Aliens game, in its 15 year run it also worked on titles such as Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns, Axis & Allies, FEAR: Extraction Point, and Section 8.

THQ (Vigil Games), LucasArts, ATARI (Eden Games), 2K Marin, Junction Point, EA (BioWare) Victory, BioWare San Francisco (EA2D), EA Los Angeles (Danger Close), EA Montreal (Visceral Games), EA Phenomic, Various (EA) PopCap Studios (Vancouver/Dublin/Shanghai), EA Playfish, Impossible Studios (Ex 38 Studios), TimeGate Studios, Terminal Reality, Funcom Beijing/Montreal, Microsoft Victoria, SEGA Studios Australia, Trion Worlds San Diego, Big Fish Games, Wizarbox, Various Zynga CrapWare Studios (Zynga Japan/Boston/Baltimore, OMGPop), Blitz Games, Ambient Studios, Gas Powered Games (were they saved?)

Any more?

Last edited:

himmy

Arcane
Although we're still waiting a final verdict on Star Wars 1313, and the outlook isn't looking great.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/18/5321760/star-wars-1313-trademark-abandoned

Star Wars 1313 trademark 'abandoned'

The trademark for third-person action game Star Wars 1313 was "abandoned" on Dec. 23, 2013, according to the trademark's status with the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

According to the site, the trademark was "abandoned because no statement or use of extension request [was] timely filed after notice of allowance was issued."

LucasArts trademarked Star Wars 1313 in 2012 before officially announcing the title at E3 2012. The canceled project starred Boba Fett and would have followed the bounty hunter to Tatooine, Coruscant and more. The game was being developed for PlayStation 3, Windows PC and Xbox 360.

After Disney closed LucasArts, however, representatives confirmed to Polygon that the studio would no longer be handling the game's development. Shortly after, Electronic Arts and Disney announced an exclusive agreement for the rights to develop and publish Star Wars games — an agreement that gave EA "access to everything that was done during the LucasArts era."

himmy

Arcane
Since the new Disney overlords of the LucasArts catalogue have made it clear that EA will be their sole partner in the video games medium, expecting anything else to be done with the franchise for a long, long time is delusional.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Prediction: Squeenix goes under in 2014. Too big to fail?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom