Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game with no challenge removes challenges

Jokzore

Arbiter
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/10/02/assassins-creed-origins-tourism-difficulty/

Because games should be delighted to include modes that remove all their difficulty and challenge, and players should cheer when they hear about it.

I’ve long been arguing that gaming can be a far better place if the industry would only introduce the “Skip Boss Fight” button.

gaem jurnlist ladies and gentlemen

God forbid you actually have to PLAY the game.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Didn't those decline-enablers at Bioware did something similar with Ass Defect?

Damn that gameplay getting in the way of my videogame experience...

Ash

Arcane

And modern game design.

These people shouldn't be making games, nor reporting on them. Well, they're not really making games anyway, just mindless press-button-for-kewl-animation simulators.

Ash

Arcane
Modern devs and critics just wont stop destroying what it is that defines a video game. Yes, you can skip scenes in movies, or skip a page in a book, but you're not going to (unless you've seen it before) because otherwise you'll end up missing context and are simply robbing yourself of potential entertainment. Skipping gameplay you'll also be missing context: overarching game balance can be affected, you could miss potential introduction of new mechanics, story events that happen during the fight, the joy of overcoming challenges etc...Yet a lot of people WOULD skip it without understanding the importance, simply because they got a little frustrated or are not familiar with video games and/or the relevance of challenge. When I was ~7 y/o I used to play Doom on "I am a wimp" for a short period. Why? Because I didn't understand that challenge is a good thing and integral to the whole game experience. Only through an old school ass whooping from all games back then did I come to understand the importance of it. New players these days are missing a lot of context because games today don't engage.
Challenge even frequently ties into storytelling, e.g in a horror game. A horror game's setting, story, scare factor, and how believable the whole thing is can all fall apart if the enemies you face pose no threat. Horror is fear. Fear is most commonly a reaction to a THREAT. But nope, just skip all that, a horror game doesn't have to be scary. Games don't need game rules. Players don't need to experience a specific creative vision as intended by design in its optimal state.
Difficulty modes are the only compromise that is needed, to account for varying levels of player skill, attention span and intelligence, and even this is exactly that: a compromise.

If you don't see the high degree of importance of challenge despite being a experienced game player, fuck off. This is not the medium for you.

R.I.P my beloved hobby. Ruined by hipsters and sellouts.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
John Walker not even once. Still, this subject is dear to my heart so I got baited. From the article:
Dark Souls wouldn’t be a bloody genre if people didn’t love a boss fight, but while it falls just short of selling seven billion copies, it’s inarguable that there are people who do not enjoy boss fights. And when your game is made of boss fights tied together with string, then yes, it’s plainly idiotic for a hater to buy it.
The belief that dark souls is a sequence of boss fights tied together with string is just.... how can you be this factually incorrect and still have the gall to call yourself a journalist? It baffles the mind. It is also a very good argument for why games should not have discovery mode or boss skip or whatever: it gives idiots like this more opportunities to believe they are not shit so more opportunities to completely fail to grasp the basics yet still talk about them as if they were experts.

Git gud isn't an insult, it's a cheer, it is a call of "You can do better if you apply yourself". I don't know how bloated your ego has to be to take it as an insult, but that seems to be the case with Walker

Morkar Left

I don't get why videogame journalists are working so hard on deconstructing everything in their job that requires some skill and knowledge. They can't be THAT lazy...

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It think a lot of them approach games as mere plot vehicles, with the actual gameplay acting as a barrier to proceed with the plot. It's obviously a retarded POV, but it explains why they don't see challenge as an integral element of gameplay. If you don't value the actual gameplay, then why would you care about challenge

GrainWetski

Arcane
John Walker not even once. Still, this subject is dear to my heart so I got baited. From the article:
Dark Souls wouldn’t be a bloody genre if people didn’t love a boss fight, but while it falls just short of selling seven billion copies, it’s inarguable that there are people who do not enjoy boss fights. And when your game is made of boss fights tied together with string, then yes, it’s plainly idiotic for a hater to buy it.
The belief that dark souls is a sequence of boss fights tied together with string is just.... how can you be this factually incorrect and still have the gall to call yourself a journalist? It baffles the mind. It is also a very good argument for why games should not have discovery mode or boss skip or whatever: it gives idiots like this more opportunities to believe they are not shit so more opportunities to completely fail to grasp the basics yet still talk about them as if they were experts.

Git gud isn't an insult, it's a cheer, it is a call of "You can do better if you apply yourself". I don't know how bloated your ego has to be to take it as an insult, but that seems to be the case with Walker
Well, Dark Souls isn't a genre in the first place, so he's wrong on every possible level as is almost always the case with these people.

RPS is shit, not just John Wanker.

I don't get why videogame journalists are working so hard on deconstructing everything in their job that requires some skill and knowledge. They can't be THAT lazy...

They all wish they could be reviewing movies or TV shows, but the only job they could get was as gamingjournos. Hence the trying to make games into movies part.

spectre

Arcane
Go easy on me me, this is my first encounter with RPS retardation. I couldn't help myself thinking that this piece has to be satirical, some sort of elaborate trolling.

So we have game designers who would rather not design proper games,
players who don't really want to play the game,
and we have game journalists who aren't really into this whole gaming thing
:shitandpiss:

I think it's about the industry having too much money floating around
while having little to no objective quality standards of its own
(instead borrowing such from books and films, deluding themselves that they produce "art").
Therefore, we get people in the business that would rather do something else,
but stay around because of the money and nobody ever calls them on the shit job they pull.

From what I read, this whole idea started from the fact that some guy devoted 2 years of his
life to model Notre Dame in Assbandit Unity. Yeah, poor guy, two years wasted making content
most people won't even get to because the game was so shitty.
Perhaps you would rather get into the virtual museum tours business?
But I guess it was a logical step to take because gameplay design was never the series' forte,
only one in every few entries was decent enough to warrant a playthrough.

Anyways, I think we had all this figured out back in the 90 already, and somehow it got lost along the way.
Remember Doom? If you were dumb, disabled or had too much ADD to play this through on lowest difficulty, the solution was there: IDDQD, IDKFA,
there, you still got to see the game, splatter demons, have your fun.
But you were cheating and essentially taking away from your own enjoyment.
Some games would rub this in by denying you highscore entries, this was a mild but logical punishment,
and it reminded you you weren't really playing the game legitimately. Other games would go further and
brand you as cheater and mock you. I think it was an excellent approach.

If you weren't good enough to tackle the game on "I'm too young to die" or "Can I play, daddy?" I think it's okay to taunt you a little bit.

Honestly, guys, I find it mind boggling.
If you have no idea how to propel the ball with your foot, you have to practice and get good before you go and have fun with the other kids playing football.
What we get nowadays? "Skill-shaming?" Geezus christ. I think a war in the West is long overdue.

Last edited:

Ranarama

Learned
I’ve long been arguing that gaming can be a far better place if the industry would only introduce the “Skip Boss Fight” button.

God forbid you actually have to PLAY the game.

Meh / 10

How many boss fights in games are fucking retarded digressions that ignore the basic gameplay of the game only to impose waiting, bullshit and QTEs?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I would have tried to shitpost in his comment section but their registration feature was broken last time I checked and you can't post comments unless you're logged in.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
Are there really that many people who buy Xbones, PS4s, and AAA games on release date, but somehow too inept to even play through Ass Creed games? Do these people just waste hundreds if not thousands of dollars a year on a hobby they don't even like?

catfood

AGAIN
It think a lot of them approach games as mere plot vehicles,
I blame storyfaggots.
I blame all the insecure losers who are afraid of being criticized by the people around them that their hobby is for "children". It's those people who are constantly trying to prove that video games are "art", and so they repeatedly bitch about games being "immature" but keep singing praises to any 3deep5u non-game that comes out. These people do not understand games in the slightest. They think that anything which makes a game a "game" is somehow in conflict with the game's supposed "artsiness". Which is all manner of stupid because at this point you are wondering why the hell don't they read a book instead? Oh, I forgot, reding is teh hard. Just go watch a movie, faggots. A Marvel movie. Wouldn't want to strain your brain too hard.

And speaking of art, who the fuck cares if video games are art or not? Maybe game companies can manage to win more customers if the general public's perception is swayed to that direction? But the age groups of people who play games get bigger and bigger naturally over time anyway. Not only that but the vast majority of people do not consider games to be art and they do not care. Just take a look how popular these casul mobile games are. Do you think your local soccer mom who is playing Bejeweld on the bus on her way to work is thinking "gee, wouldn't it be great if more people could see how profound this piece of software that I am currently wasting my time with really is?" Me, neither. Games are interactive entertainment and that is that. Any other characteristics are tertiary at best.

Again, it's these insecure faggots who are to blame. Instead of owning up and admitting "yeah, I like to amuse myself with this silly past-time, and anyone who has a problem with that can go suck a dick" they go in defensive mode "b-b-b-but this isn't just a video game, this is an important piece of culture! you just don't understand because it is 3deep5u to understand and you are baka". When they get asked what they do, they don't want to be ashamed to say that they are a games journalist. No, man. These guys are like art critics n shit now. They don't care if the gameplay gets the shaft, so long as the "artsy" parts are ramped up. All they care about is their fragile ego. I wouldn't go so far as to say that they've ruined gaming, since there are so many other factors involved, but they sure ain't helping.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Well, Dark Souls isn't a genre in the first place, so he's wrong on every possible level as is almost always the case with these people.
I didn't even notice that, I guess my brain instinctively skipped over it because its so dumb.

Also realized this:
Riff Raff said:
LET THE RIFF RAFF IN
The self delusion is staggering.

And speaking of art, who the fuck cares if video games are art or not?
People who care about truth.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that they've ruined gaming, since there are so many other factors involved, but they sure ain't helping.
Thankfully, they're growing increasingly irrelevant. Thanks to the internet, game companies can easily run press conferences and live demos to the entire world with no need for gatekeepers, and youtubers and streamers have been doing initial impressions pieces that show actual gameplay for quite a while. Steam lets you rent any game for free for 2 hours.

Games journalism is dead, nobody needs them any more, people just haven't realized yet.

How many boss fights in games are fucking retarded digressions that ignore the basic gameplay of the game only to impose waiting, bullshit and QTEs?
Typical modern game design streamlining. We made this feature shit, and making it good is hard, so lets just cut it in favor of more cutscenes and romances.

catfood

AGAIN
Thankfully, they're growing increasingly irrelevant. Thanks to the internet, game companies can easily run press conferences and live demos to the entire world with no need for gatekeepers, and youtubers and streamers have been doing initial impressions pieces that show actual gameplay for quite a while.
Yeah, the gamejournos of yesteryear have moved over on to jewtube. The point still stands.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Jesus, what a knee-jerk reaction.

"God forbid they play the game"? And what if there is a part in an otherwise decent game that I don't particularly enjoy playing? Or what if I played that part <seven times for the story> before and want to get it over with? Meanwhile, games have featured cheat codes since... pretty much the beginning? What's the difference?

I would never have seen the conclusion of VtM:B if I had to dredge through hordes of trash mobs towards the end manually. It was a fucking torture in how repetitive it was. Thank Troika the game had Godmode.

Stop playing shitty games, you say? :roll:

I get it, no one likes the difficulty degrading further and further, and it doesn't help that the topic was brought up by a retard who can't shut up about toxic gaming and incloooosivity. But having a way to skip certain content is in no way bad.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom