Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games about despair?

Gregz

Arcane
Best game about despair that I know of is called 'Life'.

Deleted member 7219

A horse of course

Please don't listen to people recommending the Game of Thrones RPG, unless you can obtain it for free. It is a bad game.
The Last of Us is the best one of recent years.
Shitting on GoT RPG and recommending TLOU? Did I accidentally log into neofag today or something? What the fuck, man?

If you think the GoT RPG is better than The Last of Us you must actually be retarded.

You're both retarded. I am smart.

Trotsky

Arcane
Great thread. I'm glad you mentioned The Suffering. A very underrated game.

Not sure if this counts but KoToR II had despair at least by Star Wars standards.

Black

Arcane
Please don't listen to people recommending the Game of Thrones RPG, unless you can obtain it for free. It is a bad game.
The Last of Us is the best one of recent years.
Shitting on GoT RPG and recommending TLOU? Did I accidentally log into neofag today or something? What the fuck, man?

If you think the GoT RPG is better than The Last of Us you must actually be retarded.
If you think tlou is worthy of any recommendation then :prosper:

Also r00fles at spec ops mentions, what the fuck.

Trotsky

Arcane
Thief Deadly Shadows. A cunning and cynical mercenary thriving in the darkness of a medieval universe with organized crime, political intrigue, secret societies, and supernatural horrors.

Last edited:

Gentle Player

Arcane
Blood Omen: The Legacy of Kain

The land of Nosgoth is dying - rife with death, disease, and the undead. The decadent nobles and impotent king do little to counter threats of invasion from a fanatical tyrant, and the sorcerers who hold dominion over the various ethereal planes have been corrupted. The player is, or was, a minor noble of no account who is assassinated at the start but spared from oblivion by a necromancer who grants him undeath so that he can seek revenge. In his new un-life as a vampire, Kain, blinded by his desire for vengeance and new-found thirst for blood, becomes an unwitting pawn in the corrupt sorcerer's petty squabbles.

http://youtu.be/PfCiawWQH9k?t=48s

Gord

Arcane
Lone Survivor

Somewhat recent indie game with pixel art that has the protagonist hiding in a ruined monster-infested city. Rather surreal setting, it's never entirely clear what's real or your character's imagination.
You have to cope with scarceness of resources and potential loss of your sanity.

Depending on how you do, you can unlock stuff related to your character's backstory, the meaning of the things you are experiencing and achieve different endings.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Winter Voices is essentially about grief and despair, where combat is basically you fighting against / escaping your own despair.

A review said:
The battles are – wait for it – entirely metaphorical. If you approach a building that featured prominently in your childhood, or for whatever narrative reason your character is overcome by despair, a fight starts as you’re assaulted by spirits and memories which chase your character around the map in a fairly straight tactical style.

Now, this is where Winter Voices starts getting clever. At least in the Prologue, there’s no way to actually defeat these feelings. The objectives of different fights might simply be to run away, or survive for a certain number of terms, or stop the feelings from getting past a certain point. You do this through use of skills unlocked from a beautiful skill tree which is absolutely my favourite part of the game.

It can get a bit tedious, but it's also fairly unique and I like the idea of combat being a real tactical obstacle instead of making you feel all empowered and heroic by allowing you to slaughter everything standing in your way. Too bad about the poor translation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom