Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games about witches!

Witches are everything listed below, obviously, but they have more of...

• ... cute!

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • ... hot!

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • ... charming!

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • ... huggable!

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • ... sexy!

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • ... cool!

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • ... fashionable!

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • ... in!

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters
Like, in this thread we talk games about pretty witches. This mostly refers to variations of the cute witch archetype, usually a young and charming witch with all the traditional paraphernalia of her craft, but we will be also including any games in which the main character is a different variety of witch, or in which the main characters are. This can include sorcerers and wizard girls as long as they are reminiscent of some witch archetype either in behaviour or looks.

Now, if the game allows to pick from several different main characters then one of them, at least, must be a witch. Games in which the main character is not a witch but witches play an important role may receive an honorary mention for services rendered to the cause of pretty witches, but will not be listed elsewhere. Games in which witches are only present as enemies will be ignored.

There's no genre rule, that's why we are in general gaming. Shmups, adventure games, console role playing games, beat 'em ups, etc, it doesn't matter as long as the witches are in.

I will be editing the second post to make a list with links to the post in which each game is. Don't just give names, though: Write at least short descriptions, link to YouTube videos, place screenshots, etc. I will write some myself, later.

List of games about super mega duper cute witches.

- Adventure.

Legend of Kyrandia II: The Hand of Fate.
Witch's Wish.

- Shoot 'em up Cute 'em up.

Trouble Witches.

- Third person shooter.

Bullet witch.

- Hack & Slash.

Bayonetta.

- Strategy.

Conquest of Elysium II.

- Role playing games.

A Witch's Tale.
Labyrinth of Touhou.
Koudelka.
Final Fantasy X-2.

- Eroge where you are a Witch.

:foreveralone:

- Eroge where you, like, cuddle witches.
Being a bonus category implemented just to make le petit furet smile once again.

Bible black.

- Honorary mention for services lent to the cause of kawaii majo.

Ogre Battle.
Knights Contract.
Luminous Arc.
The Blair Witch games.
The Elvira games.

Keep 'em coming! I'll add more of my own as soon as I get some time to write the mini-reviews!

Antagonist

Liturgist
Not really a witch but a female alchemist (which in some jurisdictions would have been burned at the stake as a witch so I guess she counts for the purpose of this topic): Zanthia, the royal mystique from the Legend of Kyrandia series who appears in all 3 parts and is the main character in the second episode of the series, Hand of Fate. Here's our witch/alchemist in her full glory:

1064683-zanthia_large.jpg

She's sassy, intelligent and cares a great deal about her wardrobe. YouTube kindly provides a full video walkthrough. The first minutes should be enough to assess her character.

黄小马

Learned
Luminous Arc for Nintendo DS was pretty fun, it had a lot of witches. You were sent to kill them, but due to the plot twists in the end you kill the pope (I am not kidding).

Luminous_Arc_Coverart.jpg

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Bayonetta had Sarah Palin as a dominatrix magic hair witch with super guns. There was also some game called Bulletwitch that had some witch with a magic gun broom.

Bullet Witch -

Bayonetta -

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Luminous Arc for Nintendo DS was pretty fun, it had a lot of witches. You were sent to kill them, but due to the plot twists in the end you kill the pope (I am not kidding).

Luminous_Arc_Coverart.jpg

Huh, an SRPG for DS I haven't played yet? I'm totally thankful, Konjad.

Back on topic: I'll try to think of something. Hmm...

Phelot

Arcane
TBH I prefer the old crone style witch to the pretty pretty princess type.

BUT... Conquest of Elysium 2 has a playable Witch faction. The little 5 pixeled witch unit even has a pointy hat! You collect fungus and summon up different units like giant toads, frogs, swamp people, etc etc. It's all very witchy.

There are several witches in Dominions 3 and I assume the 2 or 3 pixels used for their boobs means they are meant to be attractive.

Trouble Witches

Trouble Witches is a horizontal cute 'em up thingie starred by three little and super cute witches: A traditional witch who's also the naive and childish character, a pop idol mermaid witch obsessed with using the crisis to launch herself back to the top charts, and a tomboyish witch with parental abandonment issues. There's a fourth witch, a secret character, and all the boses are also witches in some way.

The game mechanics are pretty cool in their own, too. You fly around dodging bullets and stuffies, but there are both shops in which to buy extra lives, extensions to the mana metter, and spellcards, which are this game's bombs. Every type of item costs more the more you buy it, so you are forced to use different cards and pick the right one for the job instead of just spamming the same one every time you are in trouble.

To get money you must trap enemy bullets. Your pet, for every witch has her own familiar, can generate a field that slows all bullets that enter into it, and if you destroy an enemy all the trapped bullets coming from it will turn into score and money. If an enemy leaves the screen, though, all of his trapped bullets will turn into homing bullets when you turn off the field or it crashes down for lack of mana.

And every enemy you kill with a spellcard gives you star coins instead, but I have been so long without playing the game in an obsessive manner I can't really remember what they did, so it must probably be related to scoring or something.

The game's easier than other japanese shmups, but in the hardest difficulty it is pretty challenging all the same. It has some really high production values, really cute graphics, a kind of hilarious story mode, and no actual violence, so it's the kind of game to play when you are tired of grimdark shit and just want to be happy.

Aside the original PC one there are two other versions: Trouble Witches EX is the arcade version that came out later, which is harder and more bullet hell-ish and adds two new characters but doesn't has a story mode. Trouble Witches NEO is the Xbox live version of the game, which is easier than EX but adds even more characters and is the only one with the story mode in english. It also has better graphics, extra modes, and more stuffies. NEO's voices, however, are criminal, while the original japanese ones are pretty cool.

A video of the fifth stage in very hard mode. The player's using Aqua, my favorite witch. She's also kind of the weakest, but the coolest.

Trouble Witches NEO's oficial Xbox Live trailer. You can enjoy the awful voices of this version, yay.

Now on to other things,

@ Antagonist

Haha, Xanthia is really witchy, yes, even if she insists she's an alchemist and not a witch. She even lives in a hut in the swamp and has a big cauldron! And she changing her clothes every chapter is so cute.

:love:

@ Menckenstein

I like Bullet Witch, but i'm probably the only one who does. The game got some really cruel reviews, but I think it's pretty fun. I even went with an outfit based on Alicia's to a party held around Haloween last year, because her clothes are so cool while not at all slutty.

Bayonetta is awesome, one of the best games ever and by itself more than enough reason to buy a PS3.

@ The Above

That conquest of elysium 2 thingie reads like something I would like to try, thank you very much! I had never heard of it before, I think.

And pretty witches trump crones, always. Because they are pwetty. T-T

@ Yellow Pony-Chan

That sounds weird and crazy. I will give it a try, thank you! :3

@ Gragt

Alright, I will give you some recomendations on eroge about witches later. Having the self imposed quest of playing all games about witches has taken me to terrible, cruel, lonely places... and they did look back so very much...

That aside, uhm, how do I get a post's id to redirect a link to that particular post? -_-U

@ ChiBee

I love A Witch's Tale, it was the first, or maybe second, DS game I actually bought myself instead of getting as a gift. I have been thinking I will LP it next for ages, thank you for reminding me of it!

And most Touhou games qualify, yes. Touhou 1, touhou 2, touhou 9.5, touhou 12.5, and touhou 12.8 don't, however, as you can't pick neither Marisa, Patchouli, or Alice as a main character. Most fangames do, too, as Marisa seems to be a fan favorite and most games include her in some way.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
@ Le Chaton Noir

Am I just "Gragt" now? Is it because I'm not cute anymore? Ah well, I'll console myself with your list of eroge later. which you more than probably did not enjoy one bit.

Anyway those Touhou games look better each time I look at them. I really need to clear that backlog of dungeon crawlers some day, starting by playing the Wizardries.

@ 可愛い白鼬

D'awww! I'm so sowwy, it was just a slip of the finger! Look, huggies!

And, uhm, of course I did not enjoy any of them. Not even a tiny weeny bit, I tell you. Ewww, I say. Ewww!

@ ChiiBee

I kind of have ruined pretty bad my reputation already by not being able to finish a Let's Play in some time, and I don't want to be one of those who starts lots of Let's Play and never finishes them.

Right now I have to finish my Opera thread, which is taking me a while because translating while depressed is kind of hard. I'll try to do A Witch's Tale and other light, girly games about witches once I finish that, but I won't promise anything because, really, I have been pretty unstable emotionally since all that crap that went back when I was starting to LP Pool of Radiance.

@ Ed123

I used to look forward to that game, but then I took an arrow to the knee heard you only played as the guy and the witch just kind of followed you around and stuffies. Is that true? :(

Also, cool video is cool.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Best witch ever is clearly Deneb from Ogre Battle.
196531-deneb.jpg

What's that Deneb? You've killed countless townsfolk and performed horrible experiments and are in league with the undead? Yeah, all my supporters said so too, they really want me to kill you. Aww, I'll forgive you anyways. Stay right there, I'll go get you a ludicrously expensive item after waging war in another area to try and get you to join me.

Clearly needs her own spinoff.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
For some reason witches in western culture are not known for their sense of fashion, cuteness, and hot factor, would you believe that? Now, what could be the reason?

I am racking my brain out to remember a western game that has the witches you think of - one which is not your typcial fantasy sorceress. Nothing, except for Elvira - but you know that already. I got some 'witchy' vibe from 'The Void', but I haven't finished that one - and you know that game too.

Then there was Return to Krondor, with that brief Salemesque witch-hunt chapter. The voice acting of the witch, the lore behind it, the intrigue, and the music were all top-notch.

Damn, how could I forget about Blair Witch series. I've played only Vol. 1: Rustin Parr.
It was a decent action-adventure game with a few neat twists in between. It felt very atmospheric, at that time (though it was before I played Fatal Frame and Silent Hill). There was a sense of dark mystery, pagan magic, demonic cults and all that. Of course there was a Witch - the main (anti)heroe of the game who you have never met.

In the end I don't know why I haven't followed the series. Maybe it was the voice acting. I think I put it back to my 'To Play' list.

Anyway:

Slightly, off topic - I've been recently rereading both T. Pratchett's witch's series and N. Gaiman's Sandman comic books. I find that both authors capture witching qualities superbly - though neither of them puts "huggability" or "sexiness", high on their priority list (ok, Gaiman kinda does, with the depiction of Fates in later issues).

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I liked the look of Edea in Final Fantasy 8, actually looked like a proper witch and didn't fall victim to the cutesy anime witch stereotype or the old hag-with-a-cackly-laugh one aka Dragon Age.

Probably the only good character design in the whole game, I remember all the other ones being pretty bad, of course it was a FF game. It's too bad they fucked that game up so bad, the whole witch-hunting plot had promise but the time travel stuff with Ultimesia and awful characters ruined any chance.

@ Mrowak

Christianity. Pagan myth and lore from pre christian times still has beautiful, seductive, and charming witches being quite normal, and the same can be said of all myth and folklore that wasn't corrupted by christianity. Without straying too far into a tangential topic...
In Greek mythology, Circe ( /ˈsɜrsiː/; Greek Κίρκη Kírkē "falcon") is a minor goddess of magic (or sometimes a nymph, witch, enchantress or sorceress), described in Homer's Odyssey as "The loveliest of all immortals", living on the island of Aeaea, famous for her part in the adventures of Odysseus.

Even in the middle ages all witches being crones was nothing but bad rep, given many of those accused of heresy and witchcraft, falsely or not, were pretty and sexualy active girls. In the end, if you say witches to be hot, seductive, powerful woman do you really expect all those comely peasant girls to remain in the flock?

Even in christian theology it is implied witches are hot, charming, seductive, and desireable, as lust is one of the main weapons the enemy uses against mankind, and aren't witches the main female agents, on earth, of hell?

:rpgcodex:

@ Fat Dragon

I love Edea's clothes! :3

@ DamnedRegistrations

Ok, you just sold her to me with that description and the screenshot!

@ Ed123

Awww, such a waste of potential!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom