Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games about witches!

Witches are everything listed below, obviously, but they have more of...

• ... cute!

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • ... hot!

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • ... charming!

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • ... huggable!

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • ... sexy!

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • ... cool!

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • ... fashionable!

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • ... in!

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
@ Mrowak

Christianity. Pagan myth and lore from pre christian times still has beautiful, seductive, and charming witches being quite normal, and the same can be said of all myth and folklore that wasn't corrupted by christianity. Without straying too far into a tangential topic...

Even in the middle ages all witches being crones was nothing but bad rep, given many of those accused of heresy and witchcraft, falsely or not, were pretty and sexualy active girls. In the end, if you say witches to be hot, seductive, powerful woman do you really expect all those comely peasant girls to remain in the flock?

Even in christian theology it is implied witches are hot, charming, seductive, and desireable, as lust is one of the main weapons the enemy uses against mankind, and aren't witches the main female agents, on earth, of hell?

:rpgcodex:

I can't help pointing out that even in the way you explain it there is a significant degree of malice in the actions of archetypical witch. Those magically gifted women who were not considered to be downright evil (e.g. due to court tradition) ended up as sorceresses.

Of course, you are right in saying that much of the image was scathed due to influence of Christianity. Considering how witches were depicted in pagan times and how their image conflicted with Christian ideology it's no wonder why they ended up the way they did. Especially regarding the fact that Christianity was interested in spiritual salvation, believing - quite reasonably - that "lusting" for things may detract their flock from the righteous path. Hence their transformation into your traditional old crones - which was to reflect their corruption. Common folk would not get it otherwise. I guess, one may say it worked similarly to fairy glamour. But that's only part of the story.

Then, of course, beyond the stories of the old, we have the image of wizened, elderly women (in before, who they were before they got old and wizened?) - herbalists and midwives that lived in villages, small hammlets, curing sickness, mending bones, brewing "magical" ointments etc. Those women learnt their craft from each other, often carrying stories and legends of the past generation, which explained that the particular malady was the result of an Elf-shot, that the child has been 'taken' by fairies, or how to treat particular injury. It was a curious amalgamation of knowledge and ignorance. I guess, to the commoners, they were more their witches - so it's not accurate enough to say that was Christian propaganda. I guess some of them had a position and influence within small community, but I have never heard if any of them were recognised by the authorities. Living on the edge of community - that was witch's fate.

One could argue that the second imagery was much due to influence of Catholicism as well. After all those witches would have assumed sorceresses, oracles or diviners, had it not been for the "malignant" influence of the church. But let's be fair - other cultural circles have their own share of supernaturally empowered women, who are not always depicted in favourable light. Those women may or may not be branded as witches - depending on their disposition and actions. Even in Japan - where all tutelary beings are accepted - certain acts were taboo. If you operated within confines of society, you were a diviner, oracle or a seer. However, if stepped away from it and had anything to do with corpses, death, or foxes and snakes - you were a witch or a hag.

Frankly, I find this dichotomy between 'wondrous' and 'ugly', 'sacred' and 'profane', 'powerful' and 'powerless', 'young' and 'ancient' to be especially fascinating in this archetype.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
That Thread :what: Sometimes I don't know wether you guys are trolling or take that anime shit really so serious..

But since you were asking for witches, here is a proper one:

178081-ravel_large.jpg

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Come to think of it, FF6 kind of applies. The entire plot pretty much revolves around Terra. Not a traditional witch by any means, but sexy girl creature with magic powers that shock and amaze everyone else. I think she even shows up for the final battle if you're enough of a dick to forget about her just because the world ended.

TerraFMV1.jpg

Majestic47

Learned
..........need to remind myself to zoom out of the codex while at work. It's a thread about witches. how dangerous can it get? click. TW sex card. F**K!

Witch's Wish

There's this city where only rich girls can go to witch's school, and where the rich and the poor are separated by this massive wall thingie. In this city, in the poor side, lives a little girl who dreams of becoming a witch! Obviously, early in the game she will obtain the means to start learning magic on her own and from here on she will solve puzzles and fight cute non violent magic duels, and stuffies.

The gameplay is kind of a point and click adventure, only with the stylus doing all the pointing and clicking. Magick is used quite similarly to almost every other single DS game involving witches, which means you pick a target and then must draw a set of sigils into your magical chalkboard thingie, kind of a simpler Arx Fatalis or The Void. There is a rock-paper-scisors mechanic tying all elements together, too, which also takes in consideration the sigil level you are using, and this is pretty important when it comes down to the magic duels. Fighting certain duels before the game expects you to can be both very rewarding but very uphill given you simply don't have the sigils to have a fair chance, though you can still defeat some of them by a good enough mixture of improvisation and dumb luck.

Contrary to other similar games, though, like Princess Debut you get almost no help in drawing the sigils. This makes the game terribly akward to play in an emulator as some of the most complex designs will fail quite a lot if you have to draw them with the mouse, which is the entire reason I haven't yet finished it as this is a pretty hard one to get original for the DS and I gave away mine as a gift believing I would be able to get it again quite easily.

I may try to do a Let's Play next time I try to clear it, if you guys want to enjoy a game so cute and adorable even 4ch was in love with it.

Anyway, this first video is of the first four minutes of the game, including the quite moving introduction to the game. If you don't get tear eyed you are an awful monster and I don't like you at all. Jerk.

And the second is of the official trailer.

@ Ed123

Gee, she doesn't even has a waist. I guess she needed the extra space for the other three stomachs.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
My favorite witch is the one in Diablo I.

Yeah, turns out she was the protagonist's favorite, too.

It was revealed in Diablo III that Adria concieved a daughter named Leah with Aidan, the Warrior from Diablo 1 and Dark Wanderer. Adria is also Cain's sister.

Gregz

Arcane
Yeah, turns out she was the protagonist's favorite, too.

It was revealed in Diablo III that Adria concieved a daughter named Leah with Aidan, the Warrior from Diablo 1 and Dark Wanderer. Adria is also Cain's sister.

Adria did give it up pretty wild, great ass...Morrigan from DA gives better head tho.

Honestly I stopped whoring around with witches after a friend of mine named Conan the Barbarian told me a tale of high adventure (involving having sex with witches and them turning into fireballs and giving you raging VD and shit).

So...those days are behind me.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Darklands. I enjoyed smiting lecherous witches in the "name of the LORD!"

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Darklands. I enjoyed smiting lecherous witches in the "name of the LORD!"

Goddammit. I scroll through this entire thread to say Darklands and the very last post beats me to it.

edit: By 5 fucking minutes.

Majestic47

Learned
Realms of Arkania had witches as well. Thought i never fully realize the difference. Game's too massive for a kid. As for NDS...I remember there's a game where gamers grope little girls to determine if they are witches. Hahah. That was creepy as heck.

Majestic47

Learned
Oh yeah that one. :roll: That's tons better than angry bird IMO. Wish my crappy Samsung phone can run those kinda apps.

Edit: also, I've seen worse. Heck, I survived A Dance with Rogues. This is kid stuff.

lightbane

Arcane
Games with witches? Hmm... Ah, yes, there's Heretic, a game where you play as a warlock (aka a male witch), that's also one of the few elves in existence that could be considered a true badass character.

Then there's Koudelka, a weird PSX games where your party is formed by a witch, an "adventurer" and a priest. Quite cool, but the merging of the Turn-based combat and the Resident Evil style doesn't quite work (for example the combat is easy to break, Koudelka's spells are overpowered and consume little mana, allowing you to never stop casting if you wish).

Also, we have Mother 3's Kumatora, a feisty witch/psyker/whatever with an attitude who was raised by tranny fairies (seriously).

Lastly but not least, we have Dragon Quest V, an incredible jrpg that even has minor C&C and no emofaggotry, you can choose between three possible girls to be the main character's wife (the DS version includes a Codexian one, being somewhat slutty and pushy). :M

MaroonSkein

Augur
b5iqs4.jpg

No love for the Black Mage dressphere from Final Fantasy X-2? You disappoint me, Codex.

2i1mgbr.jpg

There's also The Witch and the Hundred Soldiers, a PS3 Nippon Ichi game currently being developed by the Prinny team. You control one of the soldiers who serve the witch, not the witch herself, by the way.

@ Lightbane-kun

I actually played Koudelka the other way around by turning both the "adventurer" and the priest into melee monsters and using only healing and buffs with Koudelka. When I stoped I had so many weapons and armors it was kind of not even funny, as they both just kind of went around beating the snot out of monsters with their bare fists and using only equipment for the tought fights.

It was a much better way to grind monsters, as I never had to worry about having to use recovery items between level ups by using so little mana. :oops:

Thank you for reminding me of it.

And Dragon Quest V sounds like the precursor of all those weird console role playing games appearing lately where you have to do the dating sim dance as well as the role playing game one. There seems to be a lot of them coming out.

@ MaroonSkein

Do you really expected Codexia to be familiar with the awesomeness that is X-2? Best Final Fantasy, like, ever as far as I'm concerned, but Codexia isn't progresive enough to understand the beauty of it all. One half of it is way too girly and the other half of it is way too japanese.

And they look awesome as witches, indeed. The first minute of this video actually has the dressphere changes into black mages.

They aren't just witches but... mahou shoujo!

:yeah:

Yu Ri Pa rules, etc.

And is that other game like, say, the Prinny ones? Where you have the soldiers and they are like lives? Hehe, I love the Prinny games. And the visual novel is pretty awesome, too.

:love: Prinnies!

That conceptual art looks great, by the way.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Dating sim games on consoles were around before too. Azure Dreams and Thousand Arms come to mind, I'm sure there were more.

MaroonSkein

Augur
Do you really expected Codexia to be familiar with the awesomeness that is X-2? Best Final Fantasy, like, ever as far as I'm concerned, but Codexia isn't progresive enough to understand the beauty of it all. One half of it is way too girly and the other half of it is way too japanese.
But the dresspheres are essentially a job system! The Codex can't hate a Final Fantasy with a job system, I won't allow it! If I didn't drop my piracy habit, I know what game I'd be LPing now. Square Enix should totally port it to Vita after they're done with X HD. The Playground could use some music, singing and dancing.
And is that other game like, say, the Prinny ones? Where you have the soldiers and they are like lives? Hehe, I love the Prinny games. And the visual novel is pretty awesome, too.
No, the soldiers are different from each other. You control one of them, the only one who has a permanent physical form. The others can be summoned temporally and are said to have different abilities. The game was only announced 3 months ago, and it's not very clear to me how it's going to play. I'm expecting a Zelda with stats, but I may be mistaken. Regardless, you can find screenshots here.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ah yes, FFX-2. Totally cool if totally retarded.

EDIT.

If I didn't drop my piracy habit, I know what game I'd be LPing now.

I hope you aren't being serious. Even I, being a girl, can sometimes barely stand the level of retardation the game offers... the gameplay is awesome, however, one of the best among FFs, the non-linear nature of the events is good too, and I had lots of fun with the game. The only kind of LP I can imagine is one that would mock the shit out of the game, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom