Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games about witches!

Witches are everything listed below, obviously, but they have more of...

• ... cute!

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • ... hot!

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • ... charming!

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • ... huggable!

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • ... sexy!

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • ... cool!

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • ... fashionable!

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • ... in!

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters

racofer

Thread Incliner
24b9942.jpg

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Ah yes, FFX-2. Totally cool if totally retarded.

EDIT.

I hope you aren't being serious. Even I, being a girl, can sometimes barely stand the level of retardation the game offers... the gameplay is awesome, however, one of the best among FFs, the non-linear nature of the events is good too, and I had lots of fun with the game. The only kind of LP I can imagine is one that would mock the shit out of the game, though.

This. :love:

I like job system in all Final Fantasies that have it. I would have loved the game for that alone if it would let me (I was fun - I give you that). But no - it did everything it could to antagonise me - every quest, every character, everything you did was so wrong on so many levels my PS2 took pity on my brain and exploded with the disc inside. I will never forget its sacrifice. :salute:

MaroonSkein

Augur
I hope you aren't being serious. Even I, being a girl, can sometimes barely stand the level of retardation the game offers... the gameplay is awesome, however, one of the best among FFs, the non-linear nature of the events is good too, and I had lots of fun with the game. The only kind of LP I can imagine is one that would mock the shit out of the game, though.
S-Stupid Final Fantasy X-2, it's not that I like you or anything!

@ Mrowakun
@ ChiBee

Ehm, I didn't actually found it to be retarded at all. What buffoonery there was fit pretty well with the game's concept, and I liked the three girls acted basicaly like the kind of high adventure fantasy most little girls imagine idealized and teenagerized versions of their friends and themselves being involved in. That touch of girlish innocence, wonder, and idealism is pretty cool and kind of melancholic, and it celebrates being girly in a way few other games do. One moment the girls are super badasses who kick tail and take names, the next they are jumping around while giggling hysterically and highfiving each other, acting just like an idealized version of three super close friends doing stuffies together act.

That's actually pretty awesome, as it allows you to relate to the characters, and then when they are badasses a part of you is, like, if they so like us then we can be totally badass too, even if at the same time you know it all to be an idle fantasy. It made being girly in videogames something fashionable and cool, where most videogame female protagonists are total tomboys or whores. Gee, it's kind of like a videogame version SNSD's Oh!, only with badass interspersed.

lightbane

Arcane
And Dragon Quest V sounds like the precursor of all those weird console role playing games appearing lately where you have to do the dating sim dance as well as the role playing game one. There seems to be a lot of them coming out.

Not exactly, Dragon Quest V is just a standard jrpg but a quite enjoyable one (the latest version, the DS one, requires no grinding and is easy). There's one point in the game where you have to choose between three girls to be your protagonist's wife. Depending of which one you take, the following events may slightly vary. Also, each "possible wife" has diferent stats and abilities (one is better at physical attacks, another one is a magical powerhouse and the last one is a jack-of-all-trades), plus depending of which one you select, later on the protagonist's children will have different hair color. That's all.
Oh, I almost forgot, you can recruit monsters and train them, being the second "monster game" that exists predating Pokemon (the 1st one being Megami Tensei for the NES).

PS: Where's the option to quote someone's post? I had to manually do it...

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
@ Mrowakun
@ ChiBee

Ehm, I didn't actually found it to be retarded at all.

Eh, whatever. I clearly had the "girlishness" and retardation overdose, and truth be told, I couldn't really relate to any of the girls. Different strokes and all that.

the next they are jumping around while giggling hysterically and highfiving each other

Ugh.

Er, I mean, cool! :p

PS: Where's the option to quote someone's post? I had to manually do it...

It's the small "Reply" button, bottom right.

MaroonSkein

Augur
That's actually pretty awesome, as it allows you to relate to the characters, and then when they are badasses a part of you is, like, if they so like us then we can be totally badass too, even if at the same time you know it all to be an idle fantasy. It made being girly in videogames something fashionable and cool, where most videogame female protagonists are total tomboys or whores. Gee, it's kind of like a videogame version SNSD's Oh!, only with badass interspersed.
One of the reasons I found X-2 to be absolutely fascinating is because it was like a glimpse into an alternate universe where RPGs, while still power fantasies, are girl-centric power fantasies. This image sums it up best:

29f89qe.png

Before you ask, I found it lying around somewhere on the internet and don't know if it's an actual ad Square Enix put in some women's magazine (which would make it the greatest gaming ad of all time) or just a funny picture made by a possibly butthurt fan.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It definitely had decent equipment/class change mechanics, and I always like when games have secret shit to find, which this had in spades. But the girly parts (and not like actual girly, but barbie girly, the female equivalent of SPESS MARINES!) and completely terrible dubbing, writing and male characters made it pretty awful to me in the end. Brother alone is enough to cap the game at 5/10, even if everything else were perfect.

@ DamnedRegistrations

There isn't really any other way to be girly. Being girly is all about conforming as much as possible to a certain archetype of, say, girlishness. If they did not act like some over the top and stupidly romantized manifestation of what a girl's ought to be they wouldn't be girly as it is not about being yourself but about fitting in a given archetype. That's why I used SNSD's Oh! video as a paralel and comparison: It is so bloody and utterly, and some progresive girls would say offensively, girly the reactions of most girls who watch it are variations and gradiations either of I want to be them! or of I smoulder with feminazi rage!

The game's exactly the same, which is why it is awesome. In a world and time were most archetypes and models for girls are either tomboys or whores, X-2 is proudly and defiantly girly. Just like, say, Snake Plisken is proudly and unabashedly manly. Also, *squeee*

@ Mrowak

Best game poster, like, totally ever.

fukkensaved.jpg

And it is incredible the only one to understand what I was saying was a guy.

:decline: of girlyhood.

@ ChiBee

I'll forgive you because you are cool and awesome, though.

:love:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
HAHAHA fuck. 101% agreed, the poster is full of win. Saved to HDD and facebooked.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Uh...i don't know what the proper terms is. Shared? XD *Only started FB in 2011*

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I have to disagree there. There are plenty of feminine traits that can expressed without resorting to facepalm worthy stereotypes. It's like saying the only way to portray a mother is to copy Martha Stewart. There's no need for them to be obsessively one dimensional.

If Alucard can be manly, Beeatrix Kiddo can be girly. I'd rather see a female character expressed as such by being flippant, flirty, compassionate and nurturing than by going "SQUEEEEE! PINK! I LOVE PINK!" every 30 seconds. It's every bit as sad as the guys in Gears of War.

Progressive gender roles and archetypes? Ewww, not my thingie.

I'll still give you

:love: huggies!

though. :3

Also, having some girly elements doesn't make something girly. As in, like, truly girly, the very embodiment and corporization of all thingies girly.

Which is what I was talking about.

Depends on the particular case. Sanae, Yuyuko, and kerokero, for example, are quite girly. Marisa is more of a tomboy, and both Youmu and Ran are totally so.

Kaguya, meanwhile, is utterly, completely girly. And who's the prettiest, the cutest, and the awesomest of them all? Why, Princess Kaguya, of course!

*raises and drops her arm several times*

:oops:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Crooked Bee forgot this witch: :necro:

As for witches in video games: The 8-bit computers had a few games where witches were involved. The first one that springs to mind is Sorcery+:

649508-sorcery-amstrad-cpc-screenshot-in-the-fortresss.png

In Sorcery+ you play the nameless witch who must free her coven of witches from the Necromancer. There's no character development or plot beyond the previous sentence, though.

There's also Cauldron, where you play as a witch who must assemble ingredients for her brew to defeat her arch-nemesis, but as the title screen below clearly shows, she's a little "ripe" compared to most of the other witches in this thread:

157926-cauldron-amstrad-cpc-screenshot-title-screens.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom