Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games/RPGs with Irish(or similar) setting/atmosphere

Cadmus

Arcane
Eh..I was listening to The Cranberries today when I realized I want a whole game that feels like that Irish level from BrokenSword.
Do you guys know of any games that are set in Ireland/Scotland/any of these shitholes? preferably with some cool music and great atmosphere

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Beeswing maybe (haven't played it myself yet): http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/13/beeswing-released/

beeswing.jpg

I haven’t been back to Scotland, my motherland, for a long time. Beeswing is a game about small-town Scotland released a few days ago. It is written in snippets of philosophy and folklore. It is told through hand-drawn maps and gentle guitar strokes. It is Final Fantasy on a small scale, in the spirit of Yumei Nikki, hand-illustrated and studded with the kind of Scottish duality people don’t talk about any more. In Beeswing I feel acquainted with death, but not in a morbid way. In Beeswing I feel like I am home in summers of Loch Lomond watching bees suckle pink flowers and dance between the heads of heather. I wanted to call my mother at a point, in fact, a thing I forget to do but Beeswing tattooed it into my consciousness. Beeswing sent me home.

Cadmus

Arcane
Do you guys know of any games that are set in Ireland/Scotland/any of these shitholes? preferably with some cool music and great atmosphere

Clive Barker's Undying comes to mind.

Eh..I was listening to The Cranberries today

:hug:
I played the demo a long time ago, it's not my thing.
Beeswing maybe (haven't played it myself yet): http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/13/beeswing-released/

beeswing.jpg

I haven’t been back to Scotland, my motherland, for a long time. Beeswing is a game about small-town Scotland released a few days ago. It is written in snippets of philosophy and folklore. It is told through hand-drawn maps and gentle guitar strokes. It is Final Fantasy on a small scale, in the spirit of Yumei Nikki, hand-illustrated and studded with the kind of Scottish duality people don’t talk about any more. In Beeswing I feel acquainted with death, but not in a morbid way. In Beeswing I feel like I am home in summers of Loch Lomond watching bees suckle pink flowers and dance between the heads of heather. I wanted to call my mother at a point, in fact, a thing I forget to do but Beeswing tattooed it into my consciousness. Beeswing sent me home.
I don't understand what the fuck this is but it's not my thing either.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Broke..
I realized I want a whole game that feels like that Irish level from BrokenSword.
..oh

Koudelka is set in Wales, but it feels nothing like that Irish level from Broken Sword.
600full-koudelka-screenshot.jpg

koude_screen7.jpg

I wanted to call my mother at a point, in fact, a thing I forget to do but Beeswing tattooed it into my consciousness. Beeswing sent me home.
What pretentious drivel. If you need nightmare inducing art drawn by an 8 year old to remind you to keep in touch with your parents... well, you're likely a modern game journalist.

Ninjerk

Arcane

beeswing.jpg

:what:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's inspired by Earthbound. Can't be that bad, right?

Also, yess, Celtic Tales, my favorite strategy game. The rune system is really cool, for one.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Dear Esther is located between Ireland and Scotland on the Hebrides. It's said to have a great atmosphere and soundtrack, it's debatable if it's a game, though.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Celtic Tales was developed by Koei?? :what:
Apparently they had an American subsidiary in California. Did they ever port it to FM Towns or some other similar platform?

Cadmus

Arcane
Celtic Tales: Balor of the Evil Eye, duh /thread.

(what's a "broken sword"? nvm, don't care)
Sorry, that's too ugly for me :(
Dear Esther is located between Ireland and Scotland on the Hebrides. It's said to have a great atmosphere and Soundtrack, it's debatable if it's a game, though.
Fuck that non-game
I don't have a PS3 and don't wanna emulate anything.

Johannes

Arcane
Nethergate takes place in Celtic Britain in the first century AD. Features Sidhe, Fomorians, and such. You can play both as a Celtic and Roman party.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Dark Age of Camelot used Viking, Celtic, and Arthurian legend and locations to pretty good effect. A MMO, but can be played in "Shards" now if so inclined.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning had a ton of influence from Celtic folklore.

It's really hard to recommend it, though, since it's such a boring game. But maybe the setting would be enough to redeem it for you.

Deleted member 7219

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning had a ton of influence from Celtic folklore.

It's really hard to recommend it, though, since it's such a boring game. But maybe the setting would be enough to redeem it for you.

Some of the backdrops / visuals are good. Some.

All the elf stuff is Celticy, or whatever they call the elves in that. Fae, I think.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I found sequel of best games set in that region
tumblr_nb3urrGXrW1ro6grvo1_r1_500.png

And there is some King Artur game Arthur's Knights: Tales of Chivalry. Does it count? Plus sequel Arthur's Knights II: The Secret of Merlin.
And some action RPG from 2004 (King Arthur, how original) for PC and Gamecube.

Last edited:

Johannes

Arcane
Nethergate takes place in Celtic Britain in the first century AD. Features Sidhe, Fomorians, and such. You can play both as a Celtic and Roman party.
Is that game any good?
Kinda. The combat is mediocre at best, but there's a shitton to explore in the world - tons of hidden passages and such to find both inside dungeons and on the world map, some C&C though IIRC not on the main questline (other than choosing your starting side), cool setting and plot. Kinda Ultima-like in many ways.

It's not very far apart from other Spiderweb Software games if you've ever played one. And there should be a big demo for it.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Do grab the original version of Nethergate if you decide to play it. I hear the remake ditched some of the more "hardcore" mechanics.

Johannes

Arcane
Do grab the original version of Nethergate if you decide to play it. I hear the remake ditched some of the more "hardcore" mechanics.
Can you remember what that would entail, exactly? To my memory there's very little ditched between the two, most of all the character system's changed (either one can be argued to be better, complexity level is similar iirc), then UI improvements and some extra content.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Can you remember what that would entail, exactly? To my memory there's very little ditched between the two, most of all the character system's changed (either one can be argued to be better, complexity level is similar iirc), then UI improvements and some extra content.

I actually only played the remake, but I do remember being scolded for that by someone here. Fowyr maybe?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom