Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games That Made You Go...SHIT

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Lands of Lore 2. - I really liked LoL 1 and then I installed LoL 2 and I got this... this... abomination! And those horrible FMV sequences. And the actors, oh jesus. The jungle city made me quit it then.
I finished LoL 2 and man, that game was brutal: just no explanation of what anything was, and having to combine items...

Warcraft 3: Quit around the time when Arthas was killing citizens in a village or something. The "story" was so boring and predictable... the same shit story they used in Diablo 3 and Starcraft 1 & 2. That guy was good but is now evil, I'm good and things will work out right... wait, what? BETRAYED !!! Gosh, well, I'll just try this here again on this here next mission and ... BETRAYED!!! Now, that NPC was betrayed! Dang! Repeat 47 times. The end.
DE: IW - for all the reasons noted
Scarface - wow, what a pile of garbage. Wanted to be a sandbox game like GTA, and just stunk. Hit a guy with a bat for about 15 minutes and he just kept getting up. Kinda got mixed messages from that.
EOB 3 - somewhere outside, I just said this isn't' the EOB I remember and quit.
Doom 3 - about the 35th lights go out and monster JUMPS OUT BEHIND YOU!!! All though I did go back and finish it just for the sake of finishing it.
Bioshock 2 - I just didn't want to play as a lumbering Big Daddy. I liked the first Bioshock, the second I just can't plod around for more than 30 minutes. If I want to walk around like I have shit in my pants, I'll play Morrowind with a 12 Speed.
Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword - Everyone in my little group was murdered almost instantaneously in the first fight. All shot to hell. A better man would stop and say "This is not the Mount and Blade I love, I should try to approach this differently." However, I am not such a man. I stopped playing and never looked back.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Duke Nukem Forever. Man, I know that game is generally regarded as shit, was even before it was released. But come on, I was the prime candidate to enjoying it - played Duke 3d at a young age, was against feminism in general, college bound, had little expectations for a game that took so long to develop, had little expectations for modern FPSs in general, I love flagrant sexism, come on...BLOW JOBS...IN GAME (and not from a pervert game from Japan), a semi-reputable studio behind it...hit it and quit after my blonde bitches were abducted or killed or whatever.

So many reviewers complained it felt "old" and I was like "fuck I WISH it felt old." Game felt like the worst of Xbox popamole.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
How anyone has mentioned anything besides OBLIVION is beyond me.
That game is easily the worst AAA Mountain Dew Dorrito game I've ever played. Call of Duty and Gears of War are better because, at the very least, they are games.

Here's a little something I wrote about Oblivion awhile back, and it still holds true to this day...

The enemy/loot level scaling was the worst I've ever encountered. I couldn't even suspend my disbelief and pretend everything was cool and I was enjoying my vacation in Cyrodiil. At level 1 you could explore EVERYWHERE and even beat the game, although you'd do it with a rusty sword and a potato sack, because at level 1 you will neither find a challenge nor find semi-decent loot. Once I realized that there was nothing to fear (nor gain) in the depths of any ruin, cave, region, or oblivion, and it was actually my advancing level that posed a danger (or presented treasure), I was through. I got about 1/3 through before the visual beauty wore off and my boredom couldn't let me continue. The level scaling renders EVERY aspect of the character development useless, so there really is no point in talking about character development and skill points. It is THE DEAL BREAKER with this game.

But did you become a ninja cartographer? :lol:
Yeah the scaling is awful. Even the quest rewards are scaled. I couldn't believe it. I *didn't* want to believe it. But it was beyond doubt when 3 bar patrons I left behind at level 5 clad in iron, leather armors were in full daedric and glass when I returned 10 levels later. And suddenly bears are the embodiment of primal fury, capable of one-shotting my level 20 assassin while bandits in full glass armor demanded 100 gold.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Last time I played Oblivion with Francesco's mod I feel like he made the scaling more or less acceptable. My memory could be faulty, but that's how I remember that aspect of the experience. However the game still sucked due to poor design, both visually and in quests.

Misconnected

Savant
Last time I played Oblivion with Francesco's mod I feel like he made the scaling more or less acceptable. My memory could be faulty, but that's how I remember that aspect of the experience. However the game still sucked due to poor design, both visually and in quests.

FCOM turned it into a game, certainly. I remember some Qt3'ers bitched about the difficulty/having to grind before tackling the main quest line, and the pleasant surprise I experienced when I checked what they were talking about. But while it increased the difficulty to the point that you had to master item usage when you played fair, Oblivion was never actually designed as a game, so it introduced a lot of weirdness all of its own. Like an item economy driven by your tolerance for mindless & repetitive alchemy shit, or how everyone but essential NPCs would be steamrolled by absolutely everything (not that essentials wouldn't, but they'd get up again).

Of course, combat could almost always be won simply by exploiting the glitchy AI pathfinding. Making it little different from running around with a bow and a perma-levitation item in Morrowind. And beyond combat the game still lacked absolutely everything.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm currently playing Mirror's Edge and the urge to alt+f4 and uninstall appears every time there's combat. The game has great atmosphere (the music, the extreme color palette, the rooftops setting) and despite how ultra-linear and popamole it is, it's pretty fun to climb and jump around obstacles.

But whoever thought it was a good idea to play as a little girl trying to QTE-disarm nearsighted Stormtroopers is a fucking retard. Last I played I was stuck in a subway station trying to figure out where to go while a (presumably) unlimited amount of police officers (with accompanying beyond terrible combat) swarm into the station. Oh, and there's a moving subway train I have to hug the wall to avoid, and the cops can shoot straight through this train and hit me. Because EA quality.

spekkio

Arcane
I'm currently playing Mirror's Edge and the urge to alt+f4 and uninstall appears every time there's combat. The game has great atmosphere (the music, the extreme color palette, the rooftops setting) and despite how ultra-linear and popamole it is, it's pretty fun to climb and jump around obstacles.

But whoever thought it was a good idea to play as a little girl trying to QTE-disarm nearsighted Stormtroopers is a fucking retard. Last I played I was stuck in a subway station trying to figure out where to go while a (presumably) unlimited amount of police officers (with accompanying beyond terrible combat) swarm into the station. Oh, and there's a moving subway train I have to hug the wall to avoid, and the cops can shoot straight through this train and hit me. Because EA quality.
Use slow-mo to disarm 1st enemy, then proceed with killing them one by one, switching guns when necessary (out of ammo). That's all.

AW8

Arcane
Use slow-mo to disarm 1st enemy, then proceed with killing them one by one, switching guns when necessary (out of ammo). That's all.

That's about what I do in combat, doesn't make it any less terrible though. :)

The idea that you have to head into combat unarmed and steal weapons from the enemies to use for 10 seconds before you have to throw them away is just... I don't even...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

That's about what I do in combat, doesn't make it any less terrible though. :)

The idea that you have to head into combat unarmed and steal weapons from the enemies to use for 10 seconds before you have to throw them away is just... I don't even...

I actually really liked that. It felt really fast and rewarding to me to stun a guy, grab his pistol, shoot him and his buddy and then throw the gun to the side and take off running again.

AW8

Arcane
I've met the ninja cops now and I actually liked them. They seemed impossible to kill and all I could do was to run. Which is the fun part of the game, to me the combat is just detrimental.

I reached the boat today, and I nearly uninstalled the game after clearing two waves of "SWAT troopers" and then while trying to figure out where I was supposed to go, fell ~4 meters and instadied, sending me back to before the fight.
WHY IS THERE COMBAT IN THIS GAAAAAAAAAMEEEEEEEE I'M A RUNNER NOT A GUNNER

Will continue later when the rage level has dropped to sufficiently low levels. Oh, and ignored spekkio.

Oblivion. Because reasons stated already in this thread.

Neverwinter Nights 2. Shit. I never really was a fan "le ultimate adventures in le epic setting", but almost everything in this game seems to be wrong - you can take any element, and in NWN2 it'll be bad. Right off the bat one can notice how streamlined the whole story is, with equally forced companions. Companions are the kiss of death for this game: piss-poor copy of Gimli/your-generic-dwarf-of-the-day (even though I'm not a Tolkien guy by any stretch, but remember Korgan, which was just fucking awesome?), retarded Annah, generic druid, ranger so obviously evil you start to wonder how the fuck he got past the age of 20, boring as fuck paladin and so on. The only ones likeable were Sand and Jerro, with maybe Zhjaeve for good measure, but she's nowhere near Dak'kon's level (written 7 years prior to NWN2, ffs!). Shandra dies no matter what, because another "fuck you" moment. Speaking of which the story could be summed-up just like that: the ultimate experience of "fuck you" moments. You leave the village, try to avoid trouble - first FYM starts when you try not to get involved in dwarf's fight. So you go to Highcliff, but no, fuck you, lizardfolk ate the ship and you have to eat lizardfolk. In Neverwinter? Fuck you, the blacklake district is closed, so do this, do that, be lawful or chaotic, it doesn't matter, because in the end almost every single choice leads to the same result. I simply don't know HOW one can like this, but shit on BG2 for any reason: plot, pace, characters, atmosphere and so on. Granted, BG2 isn't a great game on its own (for me, for example, it's just tragically easy, so the only way I'm going back to it is with ascension, tactics and other happy mods), but it's much more fun to play and at least characters are memorable without forcing some bullshit fandom ideas about them. It's also funny how NWN2 is the direct opposition of MotB, which is simply a great game and closest you can get to PS:T.
I love both so much I fuck them

Deus Ex: IW. Mainly because it's fucking pointless. I played it once and can't remember anything that could be memorable in comparison to the first one.

Arcanum. inb4 dumbfuck, Arcanum top3 games ever, retard alert. It made go "shit... I wish" around level 10, maybe something more. Every time I play it (randomly, sure, but it happens), I have a feeling how great this game could've been. As it is, it's not a conflict between magic and technology, but between nice lore and fucking unbalanced magic and combat. The world (seen and unseen) sure has a lot of details, I'll give them that.

There's probably a lot I'll find in the meantime and all of them deserve to be drowned in the river, like C&C4, Hitman: Absolution ( :negative: ), Mass Effect 2, 3, Dragon Ages and so on.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom