Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games That Made You Go... Woah

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Oblivion, my very first RPG after years of shooters and action games.

I got out of the sewer and there was a world around me. I honestly was terrified, I was so uncomfortable by not getting any instructions or markers. The lack of invisible walls made me dizzy! "Where do I...? How do I..? And why do whatever I'm going to do next?"

And when I understood that I can kill and loot anyone and anything I was blown away!

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Don't trust the skull.

Myrkul in MotB. I also liked most of the 'dream' sequences, especially having Gann come with you.

Gothic 2 going back to the Valley from G1 was great.

I loved a lot of the flyovers you got in the n64 Zelda's, Lake Hylia and the Great Bay were favourites. First I had seen of anything like it (I wasn't playing a lot of games then).

Other than that, there is a bunch of music from games that I would sometimes just sit back and admire. Rare games, Zelda's, Witcher, PS:T, IWD, Arcanum and Deus Ex come to mind. I guess that kind of counts.

Oblivion .... not getting any instructions or markers. The lack of invisible walls
I like the thread idea, but making a mockery in the OP isn't fun man.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Oblivion, my very first RPG after years of shooters and action games.

I got out of the sewer and there was a world around me. I honestly was terrified, I was so uncomfortable by not getting any instructions or markers. The lack of invisible walls made me dizzy! "Where do I...? How do I..? And why do whatever I'm going to do next?"

And when I understood that I can kill and loot anyone and anything I was blown away!

I had the same reaction when after years of shooters and action games I got out of my basement

zwanzig_zwoelf

Thiaf.

WOAH SHIT BURSTS INTO MY FACE OH FUCK WHAT HAVE I DONE UGH UGH UGH UGH FUCK SOMEONE I NEED A BATH SOMEONE GIMME SOME NAPALM IM GONNA BURN MYSELF WILL NEVER PLAY MODERN GAMES AGAIN FUCK THIS GAY PLANET EARTH SHIT DICK FUCK COCK UNDOMURSTICATED SNOWMAN FUCKING LIBERALS FUCKING FRENCHIES FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

I like the thread idea, but making a mockery in the OP isn't fun man.

Mockery? Fuck you, Rivmusique. This game defines what RPGs should be. Not following some half arsed storyline and getting 15 exp for defeating a singing clock. Not traveling down hairline thin corridors and fighting mindless enemy after mindless enemy with your stick of hitting +4. No this is REAL role-play, real adventure, reality synthesised (RSX pun :D).

There is no simple way of putting together a honest fully descriptive review of the amazing freedom you are indulging in if you buy this game. It may seem unforgivably daunting and tedious by some on the review on here but it is truly far from it, true you start off without being told anything, just plonked into the middle of it all, but theres nothing wrong with that, cause here in the province of Cyrodill you are free to choose your own path. If your really confused which you shouldn't honestly be for more than 10 minutes, just talk a walk up to the Imperial city, and talk to some people, then head of to Weynon Priory, and your away on the main story line. Also there is markers to every place you need to go for a quest it honestly couldn't be more simple to get from A - Z and all the places in between there including the greek alphabet :) (Geek joke)

A few things I'd like to point out just tp give you a feel of how much choice there is:

1) Make your own spells with a variety of wacky or explosive effects, at the Arcane University.

2) Wanna RP a merchant? Why not. Theres a multitude of people to sell to and things to collect aquiring money is an adventure in its own right.

3) Silent and Swift assassination your thing? Well the Dark Brotherhood are here or you and Lucian is eagerly awaiting your first blood.

4) Good guy Bad guy its your choice, but either way your going to make some enemies and good friends to kill em. Although keep in mind "the 9" love the righteous and hate the wicked, yet many Daedric Gods wont even acknowledge the meticulously good.

5) Weapons weapons weapons weapons and more weapons. but they'll cost you, but you'll never feel out axed with a Dwarven Battleaxe in your hands, unless they have a Daedric Warhammer that is o.O.

6) The theives are a noble kin, and have some of the best paying and most rewarding adventures in the game.

7) A painting speaks a thousand words, most of which are cursing when you've just got yourself stuck in the painting and had your brush stolen by a crazy Breton and his painted trolls.

8) The plains of Oblivion kinda like hell but fun and full of rare Daedric artifacts.

9) Illusion, Mysticism, Conjuration, and Destruction are just four schools of magic of which there are many and each just as demanding but equally worth it.

10) Roman Gladiators! Bah wimps! Bloody noobs! prove your worth as a gladiator and destory the opposition, rising to the supreme rank of Grand Champion. But be warned the last battle could be a doozy.

11) Being invisible is fun for so many reasons ;)

12) 9 Citys, 1 of which in flames, and its your job to sort it. Or you could ignore it your choice (again) Oh and they all have different cultures and settings, with varying degrees of hospitality or hostility. Thsts just the cities mind, then theres towns and villages spread across the map randomly. Note: Hackdirt is a place some may wish to avoid.

Well thats all I'll say on the matter, there is so much more, but I don't want to end up spoiling the awesomeness that is Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

AngryKobold

Arcane
Fallout 3 made me go truly "Woah". I played it in state of utter shock, with my jaw dropped.

I got out of the sewer and there was an ugly brown world around me. I honestly was terrified, I was so uncomfortable by not getting any of things that should be in game called "Fallout". The atrocious writing filled with nonsense made me dizzy! "Where do I...? How do I..? Why do I.. ? Alcohol, my trusted friend, help me!"

And when I understood that NOTHING in this game is gonna get better I was blown away!

Tribal Sarah

Arbiter
Silent Hill. That scene in the schoolhouse when the air raid siren first goes off. that was scary. GTA Vice City. Cruising along the streets on my motorbike with the Human League blasting.
Bioshock. The opening with the lighthouse and the moon shining down on the water.

Derek Larp

Cipher
-Taking off for the first time in Frontier: Elite 2, seeing the gas giant in the sky and realizing I could fly all the way there.

-The Operation Flashpoint demo.

A user named cat

Oblivion..... woah?

cLZC9GV.png

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Demo of Deus Ex. At the time i had no experience with this sort of games (i played many of the older "classics" retroactively) and i was stunned by it. I think i must have finished the demo like a dozen times, mostly because it took me forever to get the money to buy the whole game.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
System Shock wowed me a lot (around 2004) because all these movement types and the crazy deep gameplay were already there in 1994!
Quake was the first full 3D game I saw and I had my jaw on the floor. I was only a kid then and it's still my favorite FPS.
Thief: The Dark Project for the sheer anguish it produced on me. To this day I think it still has the thickest atmosphere in any game I've played.
And then came Unreal with its absolutely crazy castle flyby sequence and the great music, and it was also something absolutely mindblowing. I still get shivers down my spine when I launch that game. The ending sequence is bloody perfect as well.
I was supremely impressed with S.T.A.L.K.E.R. back in the day despite it being a buggy mess. It's still one of my favorite games as well.

Eyeball

Arcane
Morrowind. Woke up in hold of ship to amazingly beautiful Morrowindian score, created my character and exited the ship to a loud roaring noise. Casually glancing to my left, I spied a gigantic cockroach with a pagoda on its back, its driver offering to drive me anywhere I wanted in Morrowind for a Price.

Beautiful.

Eyeball

Arcane
SO YOU HAVE COME.

ARE THEY DEAD? YES. UNLIKE YOU, THEY HAD BUT ONE LIFE. AND THEY *WASTED' IT FOR YOUR SAKE....

Motherfucking Tony Jay should voice everything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom