Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games where you play a commander actually commanding

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
I'm looking for existing games (no matter how weird or niche or old) where the player takes the role of a commanding officier on a vessel of some kind (naval, space, whatever) and where the game mechanics allow him to play this role somewhat properly.

Example fitting this for me would be Silent Hunter 3/4 especially on 100% difficulty (not sure about before or 5).

Anything else?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Kind of lightweight, but the tanks in Operation Flashpoint and the Arma games are controlled by three people, one of which is the commander who instructs the driver and the gunner on where to go and what to shoot at. Arma 2 & 3 also have a commander mode that lets you give orders to an entire army, but I guess that's not really what you're looking for.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
All are very..hmm..."gamey" or rather "arcady" compared to Silent Hunter but thanks for the suggestions.
Star Trek: Bridge Commander's an interesting take though it lacks any real sense of time and instead presents itself like a fast paced Star Trek Episode. I especially like the crew interface/responses/communication.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
All are very..hmm..."gamey" or rather "arcady" compared to Silent Hunter but thanks for the suggestions.
Star Trek: Bridge Commander's an interesting take though it lacks any real sense of time and instead presents itself like a fast paced Star Trek Episode. I especially like the crew interface/responses/communication.

Starfleet Academy is more realistic than Silent Hunter. Yes, even with the aliens, spaceships and moving faster than the speed of light.

Unfotunately they don't really make games like that anymore, everyone wants to be the whole damn ship these days.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Starfleet Academy
<laugh> Sure.
Anyway, my point is that you're not a commander, you're everything. You do targetting, you do navigating, etc. Star Trek: Bridge Commander's more what I meant, outside of combat that is, via crew interaction menus.
In Silent Hunter, you don't navigate, you plot course. You don't move the sub, you tell navigation to do evasive maneuvers, dive, surface, etc. In short, you command others to act, while you don't act yourself.
That's what I'm looking for, actual commanding simulations. Sorry if I wasn't clear before.

Interesting but same issue, you're not a commander, it's just tricking you into thinking you are while in fact it's very, very gamey. There's even minigames and you "loot" like it's some random action RPG. Some interesting aspect for sure but not really what I'm looking for. Thanks though :)

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Um, in SFA you give orders to, and speak to, your bridge crew. I'm a pretty big Silent Hunter fan myself so I know exactly what you mean. You can take over their stations if you want but don't have to..

Like I said, there isn't really much out there like it.

Declinator

Arbiter
I haven't played them but as I understand it Scourge of War series covering the likes of Waterloo and Gettysburg feature a realistic command delivery system (as in there actual couriers delivering orders that may be intercepted.)
Matrix Games website said:
First of all Scourge of War: Waterloo offers a lot more realism than any similar title on the market, having historical unit names, weapons, formations etc. More importantly, however, is the fact that the game simulates the complete chain of command. Players are not by definition placed on top of this chain (though it is possible), but are often placed somewhere in between. Meaning that during the battle, they get orders from above, interpret them and form a strategy with them, then, they will send out their couriers to deliver their own orders to the units directly under their control.

:Flash:

Arcane
Derek Smart's Battlecruiser / Universal Combat games.
Most people don't realize that is what those games want to be and are irritated that you can't just hop into one of the fighters. Instead you have to assign yourself to fighter duty and then wait while you walk through the corridors of the ship. And, not being on the bridge, you can't do anything else during that time. Not a game for me, but it is probably the most realistic Simulation of being a commander of a Spaceship.
If you play long enough you can get promoted to fleet commander, which gives you a tactical command mode for other Battlecruisers.

The games are free now: http://www.3000ad.com/download/ (still is on amazon, no longer for free on Steam for whatever reason).

Grim Monk

Arcane
In parts of "Operation Flashpoint" you act as a tank commander, meaning you had to give the orders to operate the vehicle.

Also later in the game you were placed in command of AI squads of infantry or platoons of armor.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
I haven't played them but as I understand it Scourge of War series covering the likes of Waterloo and Gettysburg feature a realistic command delivery system (as in there actual couriers delivering orders that may be intercepted.)
Not commanding vessel per se but that sound pretty fucking cool, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Derek Smart's Battlecruiser / Universal Combat games.
Ohh, yea. Haven't check these out in a long time but I think I remember going insane because of the lack of time control in UC. Need to check these again. Thanks.

Basically I'm looking for anything like Artemis bridge simulator...single player, where you play the captain. :)

Kekkonen

Novice
Psi 5 Trading Company from Commodore 64 era had player command a small intergalactic merchant ship.

You had to recruit crew members to handle different positions (navigation, weapons, etc.) and all had their own pros and cons.

Quite fun for a couple of evenings, but gets repetitive soon.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Star Command Galaxies

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom