Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with GOOD Endings

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
SENrL40.jpg

DemonKing

Arcane
I liked the end of the original BG with that vault full of Bhaalspawn statues, but then I also liked the end of Wizardy Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord and that was just a text page congratulating you for finishing the game!

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The boss fight at the end of Wizardry 8 was nothing to write home about, but choosing what to write in the reality book was a nice touch, and having one of your mercs heroes make a quip at the very end was wonderful.

laclongquan

Arcane
Planescape Torment? It's great: you recover your name, ending your horrible condition, and get on with your life (or unlife).

Prince of Qin. You end with some new wives. This is good because the context is that the MC just, recently, got his whole extended family killed by demons. So he get to make a new one. I know, it sounds trite and not good but YMMV.

FNV, Dead Money's ending: You leave the evil mastermind who deadtrapped your neck with bomb now stuck in an about-to-blow vault and get back to the civilization with a bar of gold. And a licence to print good stuffs from the machines.

Silent Storm Sentinels: The good ending require you straight up assault a heavily defended base, ie playing bait, while letting your partner sneak in and caught the target. If you squint, the ending is when you and your team face a trio of humanoid armor mechs in that warehouse~

Hammer & Sickle: The good ending is when your direct boss survive and grill you about your relationship with that American hussy, ie CIA spy, in your team "Did she morally corrupt you, comrade? DID SHE?"

Anyway, the criteria is too niche: the ending must be MEMORABLE, and must be GOOD. too picky~

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Natuk.

After three years of the struggle the villiant band of Orcs, Ogres and Half-Trolls complete their quest. The Emperor of Natuk is dead!

4pedIeQ.jpg

IMMSZe1.jpg

But who will be emperor now?

Thanks to badly implemented in-game screen capping, and IrfanView not being able to handle the screen capping properly the following caps look worse than in-game.

jkvf3ZF.jpg

hf6uhnY.jpg

In the end neither brain nor brawn won out. Instead it was the runt of the litter, Sniveling Snaga the Scout, who had preserved his strength in the battle, who sat back and watched the others duke it out and put a crossbow bolt in the brain of the last one standing.

nEasKRH.jpg

nHJkD9P.jpg

Db6srab.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Arx Fatalis where you're too stronk for this underground shithole and they ascend you to the vast frozen wastelands?

Uh, no. You play an (amnesiac) agent of a higher authority. The game takes its sweet time to explain this. The moment your task in Arx is done, you're whisked away to your next job.

Kinda like how Gordon Freeman got hired by the G-Man.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
For a game that presented itself as pretty laid back and almost childish, Prince of Persia (2008) surprised me a lot with its sad and evil ending. Pretty memorable, even if the rest of the game wasn't.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The Last Express.

The game is full of class, but crucially, the ending, in spite of being super 'hard' to get to (so it's frustating), because it's a real time adventure, is quite satisfying in a cliche manner (reminds me of a episode of Young Indiana Jones if you remember that).

It also has a absolute genial idea for the credits, see for yourself:

Pretty much makes explict and obvious to the most complete retard that the theme of the game is that 'eternal' moment before the war where all the 'great powers' of europe fall down in the microcosm of the 'Last Express'.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
OK, my take on games with good endings:

Star Control II - You're a nobody from a colony world that happens to be the most qualified person to fly a starship made by the most advanced spacefaring race in the galaxy (past tense). In less than four years you manage to take a grim-looking situation for sentient life in your neighborhood sector and turn it around somewhat.

You get the girl, the main antagonist goes Ka-Boom! and Earth is freed from slavery.

To be continued... hopefully.

The Legend of Kyrandia II - You're a (capable) alchemist that's tasked with finding a solution to the problem of the land disappearing bit-by-bit by unknown reasons. After traveling to obscure parts of the land (and far too many wardrobe changes) you seem to finally get a grasp on the situation.

You get the guy, the main antagonist goes Splat! and the world is freed from Total Existence Failure.

Space Quest IV - You're a has-been trying to cash in on your past exploits at a bar, when Time itself decides it's time to fuck your life up.

You save your future son, the main antagonist goes Syntax Error! and the Current-Year-World is freed from its tyranny.

Also, you get a hot lead on your next date.

But the winner has to be...

Quest for Glory V - You're a hero that's travelled the four corners of the known world and done heroic deeds - and now you have a chance to rule a kingdom and marry a Stronk Woman. What could possibly go wrong?

Your call, actually. The fact that the game gives you the choice how the tale ends is worth its weight in gold.

For maximum impact, play the series in order.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I'm going to have to completely disagree with LOK2 and QFG5. I didn't particularly like LOK2 (well, the whole series has problems, really) but the endgame is where it falls completely apart. Here's where an otherwise pure point and click adventure game turns into "click on this side to dodge" shitty action sequence, and that's it. The ending afterwards is more reminiscent of Curse of Monkey Island (another one that falls apart at the end) than anything else.

QFG5's is actually not so bad, but if we're picking one from the series it would have to be QFG2. You've saved the kingdom and that's all good - but then, while you sit there, every single person you have helped one way or the other comes up and speaks about how you helped them - and almost all of them are completely optional, meaning you get the reward because of your choice as a player. Then to top if off the sultan adopts you as his son. And then to top THIS off, if you followed all the tenets of the Paladin, you become one, and stay one when you import into the sequel. There's nothing more satisfying than seeing the result of your own choices coming together at the end.

Conquests of the Longbow has something similar with the trial except even better, especially since who testifies, and whether they testify for or against you, affects the outcome of the ending.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Planescape Torment? It's great: you recover your name, ending your horrible condition, and get on with your life (or unlife).

You recover your name if you happen to pick the right option in one very confusing dialogue tree. I played this again recently and had to go through a walkthrough to figure it out. You have to pick something that looks like you're just going back to repeat the same information you've already seen in order to get the good ending. Otherwise the whole damn game doesn't make any sense. So it's a great ending, but if you need to look it up on the internet to find it, that's a pretty huge asterix on it for me.

The Last Express.

I tried to play this, but when the American character in 1914 dismisses the whole concept of national self-determination I was really turned off. Do you even Fourteen Points, bro?

Beastro

Arcane
Xenogears has a nice, bright ending where after 10,000 years of fucked up shit a world is finally free from the insanity that gave birth to Mankind on it, something which the soundtrack did a good job of fostering that and what was overcome throughout the entire game.

Last edited:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Few games left me with such a feeling of satisfaction as Homeworlds ending and credits.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom