Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with simple English grammar

laclongquan

Arcane
Torment is too freaking complicate, grammar and word-wise, to use as learning tool. Absolutely avoid it.

Kingdom of Dragon Pass is one simple enough game for that. If you dont learn to read it, you are in a world of hurt playing that game.

Theme hospital is another, in sim-style, which help the casual gamers that surely infest your students. Though it might be played tooo easily and yours might lose themselves in playing instead of paying attention to words. Bad, that!

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Little big adventure (2)? That's one of the earliest games I remember where I actively started learning English along with Fallout, HoMM and Warcraft II.

most parser-based games don't force the player to use standard English grammar though. You don't want students practicing bad habits

Chunkyman

Augur
I'm going to second Pokemon as a good choice. It has a lot of dialogue, but it's all short and easily digestible.

Parser games are like the opposite of language learning. It's intentionally dumbing down and repeating in a dozen different (broken) ways until the computer gets it, like what an english speaker would do to someone who can't speak english.

Aside from that, relevant information would be what games your audience enjoys playing. Ultimately a game they don't enjoy is worse than no game at all, and a game they do enjoy with difficult language will simply be a challenge they enjoy completing.

Divinity: Original Sin
One can't go wrong with lucasarts scumm adventures, and maybe some good AGS games. I'd recomend LA games over sierra by the fact that you can't get dead ends in game, so you can focus on paying attention to the dialogue and actually progress through the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom