Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games you cannot stop replaying

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mirror's Edge
Might & Magic 4-7
Lands of Lore

Thank you very much, now I fired up dosbox again and started another World of Xeen playthrough.

Damn you.

zool

Arcane
Jagged Alliance 2
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Civilization III
Close Combat : A Bridge Foo Far
Tropico
Crusader Kings
Morrowind
Achtung Spitfire

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Games I think I finally ceased to replay after many years:
Warcraft 2 / Starcraft / Diablo
Dune 2 / C&C / Red Alert / Dune 2000/ Tiberian Sun
Civilization 2

You know, I own Civ 3, 4, and 5, and yet I can't stop playing Civ 2. And when I start it, I play til 5:00 am. Something about the music and the Wonder videos in that game that kind of hypnotizes me. I've tried the others, but I just like Civ 2.

The other games I play too much, over and over, are more like stress relievers than games
World of Xeen, and MM6.
GTA:SA
Ultima 7
Bard's Tale: Tales of the Unknown

T. Reich

Arcane
Funnily enough, for the last few years I've been mostly replaying the old games.
On average, I replay 3-4 of some old games per each new one I try.

After all, if new games are shit and old games are awesome - why bother with the new shit?
The new actually good stuff that stands the test of time (and acquires GOTY editions in the process) will eventually see attention from me. Otherwise, I have an extensive collection of tried-and-tested entertainment.

Right now replaying Defense Grid: The Awakening, Deus Ex (with Revision mod), Aquaria and Wizardry 8.

Perkel

Arcane
Dwarf Fortress
New Vegas
Baldurs Gate 2
Path of Exile
Diablo 2
Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
Heroes of Might and Magic III
Sim City 4
Civilization IV
Fallout 2/1

HOMM3, AoW:SM, Diablo 2 and Civ 4 with friend over LAN most of the time.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Reading some of the comments I am not surprised to see games like Civ or sport simulators included here since those games are meant to be replayed because it is a large part of its learning process.
Still happy to see such a wide selection of games I have seen but never played (like Oni) so there are more compelling arguments to try those out...
Have such an itch to go back to my int build in Dark Souls, replay Yanov in Call of Pripyat and try out the Old Hunters expansion to Bloodborne and it looks like I will finally have some free time around the 15th since the family will be leaving for a long vacation and the gf is going to visit her family too :D the nerdgastic pleasure of a good old fashion gaming bindge

Tripicus

Augur
There aren't too many games I find myself going back to. Might be nostalgia, but I'll dig up the Mega Man and Mega Man X collections. Sometimes it will be one of the original 3 Ninja Gaidens.

Various iterations of Romance of the Three Kingdoms keep drawing me back.

I keep reinstalling PS:T to undo the Gavin caused by my original unwise fighter play through, but usually succumb to the despair for what I put Dak'kon through.

Likewise, Morrowind I get my character past the I'm shit at everything stage and then stop.

svvvs

Educated
Il2 Sturmovik,Original Fallouts + NV,Freespace1/2,S.T.A.L.K.E.R:SOC + Lost Alpha and COP: Misery,Deus Ex,JA2,Skyrim + Requiem,Silent Hunter 3 + GWX,Morrowind,Operation Flashpoint. Morrowind and Skyrim to some point and then goes uninstall mod,but some time will pass and again i want to play this,dunno whats up with that.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ahhh Silent Hunter III... I would love to replay that on modern pc along with Scarface

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Used to replay:

Gold Box games
Baldurs' Gate 1+2 with TuTu
Icewind Dale

If you include user made content I never get tired of these games:
Doom
Thief 1-2
Age of Wonders: SM
HoMM 2-3

Want to replay:
Wizardry 1-3
Might&Magic 1-2
Chaos Strikes Back
Gold Box games (again)
Doom 1, 2, Final, Ultimate

So many games, not enough time...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Oblivion. The Radiant AI is what keeps me want to experience it more. It's very immersive!
Ahh yes, the uhh Radiant AI.
giphy.gif

nGRpnjo.jpg

:prosper:

Hey, at least amusing and unexpected things happen in Oblivion, unlike in static Morrowind.

the_shadow

Arcane
Great thread!

Baldur's Gate II: Played the *hell* out of this game throughout high school. It has a high replay value due to the density of content, variety of character build choices, and 'soul'. Made me fall in love with the Infinity Engine so I had to go and try Icewind Dale.

Silent Hill 1 and 2: Even though they don't have much in the way of C+C, the atmosphere and attention to detail is phenomenal. I used to do an annual play through, and always noticed something new and subtle I'd missed in previous playthroughs. It helps that you can complete a game in about 4 hours.

Geneforge series: It's funny that this series ended up being one of my most replayed, since I had a lot of trouble getting used to the massive difference between Geneforge and the preceding Avernum/Exile series. However, there is something intoxicating about mutating yourself until you become a demi-god. The C+C is also pretty damn good, particularly in Geneforge 1, 2 and 5.

Age of Wonders 2/SM: Yeah, it doesn't have the following that Civilization or Total War does, but the game is just so vibrant.

Vampire - Bloodlines: Don't think I need to explain why, since it's a Kodex Klassic.

Avernum 5+6 - For the exploration and phat loot. While I miss the variety of spells offered in Exile 2/3, the sheer difficulty makes A5 and A6 more enjoyable.

Unreal Tournament - My favourite FPS. Good selection of weapons, cool music, cool maps, good gunplay.

Planescape: Torment - For obvious reasons.

Gothic 2: Probably the only other RPG I've played that comes close to being as enjoyable as BGII, which is funny considering how different they are.

Zandig Slaytanic

Educated
- Demise: Ascension
Literally took me years to build a party strong enough to get to the bottom of the dungeon and defeat the game.
Still play it to build up the characters even more as the bottom level creatures can kill a strong party quickly.
I took these shots in Jan. 2014 when I beat the game, so characters are now much higher level :)

Ascension_defeated_1.jpg

Ascension_defeated_2.jpg

- Demons Souls

- Dark Souls 1 and 2

- King's Field games (wicked atmosphere and music)

- Might and Magic VI

- Gothic II: Night of the Raven

tindrli

Arcane
i still need one more year to play demise again!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom