Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games you didn't like initially, but that grew on you...

the_shadow

Arcane
So it's pretty common to discuss games which didn't live up to expectations and were evidence of the decline, but what about games which you didn't initially like, but persisted with and ended up enjoying? Some of my examples:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: SoC - Got this one in my late teens when it first came out because I'd read heaps of good reviews. Played it for a couple of hours completing those respawning side-quests and thought 'Wow, this is BORING!'. The FPS action was also completely different from what I was used to (Quake, Unreal, Doom 3), which was another turn-off. I ditched it without a second thought. About 6 years later a friend of mine was raving on about how it was a classic, and I bitched to him about it. He told me 'LOL, you don't need to do any side-quests, just do the main story line'. So I followed his advice and had a blast!

Fallout 2: I complained about the difficulty in the early parts of the game on this forum. I was encouraged to persist, and found it was major incline once you hit early-mid game.

Warhammer: Dark Omen: Not sure how many people have played this, but it was the first real-time regiment style strategy I'd ever played. Started out getting my ass handed to me on early missions because of friendly fire and wasting cavalry early on (instead of using them for flanking). One of those games I can pick up and play for a few hours and enjoy.

Age of Wonders 3: I was mainly turned off by the 3D graphics, which are a bit of an eye-sore and make it hard to distinguish between units until you've played for a while. However, it turned out to be a worthy successor to Aow 1/2.

Geneforge: This seemed like a huge step down from the Avernum series. 9 spells overall, a bunch of cartoony looking summons, and a horrible green interface? However, the atmosphere and CoC eventually won me over.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
None. If I don't enjoy a game, I'm not playing it. And sure as hell I'm not playing it for a 100 hours or playing it through for 7 times just to see if it is really bad.

Nuclear Explosion

Baldur's Gate. The first ten or so hours are dull, but it picks up in chapter 4.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Wolfenstein (2009). The start is so insanely terrible I was on the brink of uninstalling. But I gritted my teeth thinking "maybe it'll get better once the occult nazi SS cyberzombies start appearing". Fortunately, it did.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Master of Orion 2. Back in 1997 when I got my first computer and when PCs and PC gaming was still awesome as fuck, my computer came with one of those X-amount-of-games-in-1 bundles. I forget everything that was in it (if someone ever saw this same bundle and remembers what it was called, let me know), but I do remember it having MoO2, Jagged Alliance, Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries and Sim City 2000. Anyway I couldn't for the life of me figure out MoO2, and I disliked it for it, but I kept coming back because of the atmosphere of the game. It kept drawing me in even though it was mechanically way over the head of a kid who was used to more simple games like platformers and beat em' ups. Once I did unlock its mysteries it became one of my favorite games of all time and it remains in that same spot to this day.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Doom 1+2, just didn't clicked. Found nothing interest in concept and gameplay. Then I become huge FPS fan, still didn't played them, then decade and more later this genre started sucking major balls. Now I have installed Zdoom with Doom2.wad and some fan-made maps, sometimes played DoomRPG. Decent but not in larger dose than 15min.
Quake - played maybe hour and best (version without music), didn't hooked me and lemme tell you it was huge step from my previous gaming platforms (Commodore, then AmigaCD32 and then GameBoyColor) and still didn't impressed me, finished somewhere last year.
Alpha Protocol. I guess it was victim of my new habit - buying ton of games for cheap in SteamSales. Fortunately I slowed the fuck down and returned to the game year later and finished it.

The whole Larian saga aka Divinity, it was just straight repulsive for me, the way they took fantasy genre, voiceacting and else. Played a bit, then forgot about it. It didn't helped that retail version got nasty DRM that gave me constant BSoD on my machine.
Finished 3 games (DivDiv, BeyDiv and Div2 DKS) in 2016, currently doing DivOS EE.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Dynasty Warriors (and similar). DW8XL was the first game of this sort I played, from "omg this is so retarded" to "omg I can't stop playing"
in other words from :nocountryforshitposters: to :desu:

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Bard's Tale 3, but that's mainly due to the huge difference the unoffical patch made.
Dragon Wars. Wanted and expected Bard's Tale 1 or 2, which were among my favourite games back then. Liked it much better when I tried it again some years ago.
Disciples of Steel. Very bad first impression thanks to lacklustre manual, towns that should have been menu towns and poor shop UI.
Black Crypt. Wanted and excpected Dungeon Master. After playing lots of other real time blobbers I realized DM and Chaos Strikes Back are in a class of their own, and the BC is the best of the rest.

To me the initial hurdle is to RTFM and learn the UI of the game. Once that's done I enjoy most games I try. But then I generally "research" games before buying/downloading, and I refuse to be a Beta tester, so I hardly ever buy new games (less than a handful the past 10 years)

v1rus

Arcane
Cant think of any :O

Can think of bunch games I hate, but sorta want 'em to grow on me. And i can think of bunch games I hate and definitely want to give a second try, either to change my mind or confirm my hatred. Myst is a perfect example. From what i've seen/heard/played, that's gotta be TEH game i hate, but i can't know for sure till i actually beat the darn thing.

EDIT - oh god, this actually got me getting phucking Myst

Last edited:

Winslow

Novice
Patron
Might and Magic VI, and blobbers in general after that.
I tried it around when it first came out as a friend of mine had a pirate copy of everything but I couldn't really enjoy it as I had just been introduced to cRPGs through Fallout and my storyfaggotry was too strong because of it.
As my autism grew and I ended up hating what modern cRPGs had turned into I eventually got the M&M pack on a whim from a GOG sale. After I got over the disgusting portraits I realized that with the tight mechanical focus of these games I could actually finally enjoy pure party-based combatfaggotry and suddenly had a massive backlog to go through. Or alternatively it was better than nothing.

Mozg

Arcane
Dragon's Dogma took me a while to sieve out the very good parts from the general bad. If the dearly departed* Edward_R_Murrow hadn't proselytized it I'd have dropped it.

Alpha Protocol because I tried to play it like a no-kill stealth game for like an hour or so before I began the mass murder. Also the minigames are completely unintuitive on M+K.

I can't think of any real RPGs that I liked that I didn't like immediately. I think I even liked PS:T in my original playthrough right off - I know later on I had a hard time getting past the mortuary on a replay, because it's a pretty bad infinity engine tumor if unfamiliar weirdness can't carry it. With RPGs it's usually an interesting start that carries me through a lot of later bad game.

*(not posting on the Codex anymore)

the_shadow

Arcane
None. If I don't enjoy a game, I'm not playing it. And sure as hell I'm not playing it for a 100 hours or playing it through for 7 times just to see if it is really bad.

I don't think anybody expects a gamer to replay a game 7 times to see if they really enjoy it, but there has to be a happy medium where you give yourself time to go through the learning process and adjust to its rules, design and quirks.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I don't think anybody expects a gamer to replay a game 7 times to see if they really enjoy it, .
We are still on the Codex, right? :D You basicly HAVE to play games for 7 times. :P

but there has to be a happy medium where you give yourself time to go through the learning process and adjust to its rules, design and quirks
Well, I only play good games, where I'm enjoying myself from the beginning.

Lost Odyssey, initially thought it was a boring FF ripoff made by ex FF people - turned out to be the best Final Fantasy game since 6, but maybe ever. Shame it's only available on the worst console.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2. Didn't get into them at all when released. Bought them cheap on GoG a couple of years ago and suddenly really enjoyed them.

Luka-boy

Arcane
my computer came with one of those X-amount-of-games-in-1 bundles. I forget everything that was in it (if someone ever saw this same bundle and remembers what it was called, let me know), but I do remember it having MoO2, Jagged Alliance, Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries and Sim City 2000
:shredder:
I would have killed for a CD like that. The one I got around that time from a friend who got a new computer just for homework was full of awful shovelware. I sure had more luck with magazine CDs even if most of the time I only got demos. Not like the demos for Fallout, Diablo, Dungeon Keeper and Tyrian to name some weren't some of the most addicting stuff I played around that time.

Back on topic, Steel Panthers World at War comes to mind. It used to overwhelm me to the point I often refused to even start the battles after I deployed because I thought I would just get too frustrated to finish them and, when I actually played them, I indeed got defeated badly almost all of the time. Eventually, after reading the manual a million times and getting out of my very static comfort zone by experimenting with different tactics and army compositions I wasn't used to I finally got into it and had a blast, with Steel Panthers MBT being my hex wargame of choice for the past few years and Steel Panthers WW2 and Megamek being close seconds.

v1rus

Arcane
Finally remembered. Dark Souls.

I hated it the first time I tried it, on the PC. I used a joypad, but still found the game unplayable. Hated the interface, hated the resolution (my PC is kinda shite) and i hated everything. A year or so after that, tried it on PS3. Was way better once you ran it on a machine which can actually run it.

the_shadow

Arcane
Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2. Didn't get into them at all when released. Bought them cheap on GoG a couple of years ago and suddenly really enjoyed them.

The core gameplay/mechanics/character building is great, but boy did the OC's for both suck (with NWN 2 OC campaign being the most boring slogfest I've ever played). The gameplay gets to shine in the expansions (Hordes of Underdark for NWN 1, and MoTB and Storm of Zehir for NWN 2).

Severian Silk

I am having trouble liking Metal Gear Rising. I don't understand the story and the controls suck.

I am having trouble liking Metal Gear Rising. I don't understand the story and the controls suck.
I played that up till the robo-panther boss thing. I kinda liked what the game was doing, but it wasn't for me.

The one I dismissed initially was Legend of Grimrock. I played a few levels, and maybe the game didn't have enough character for me at the time or I wasn't in the mood for tile-travel. I installed it again about a year later and played to the end. Fantastic game, super-rewarding finding secret areas and items. I still haven't played the sequel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom