Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GameSpy multiplayer services shutting down - removed from Dawn of War

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Homeworld 2 is also affected. Not that it matters. Multiplayer was always buggy as shit, and the game would crash/kick/desync half the time.

:x
There is always the remake to look forward to.

I can't believe I said that.

Angthoron

Arcane
Homeworld 2 is also affected. Not that it matters. Multiplayer was always buggy as shit, and the game would crash/kick/desync half the time.

Hmmm, there's an idea for all the publishers - re-release their old games that were on GFWL with UPDATED MULTIPLAYER!!! and HIGHER RESOLUTIONS!!! for a low price of $9.99

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member

Hmmm, there's an idea for all the publishers - re-release their old games that were on GFWL with UPDATED MULTIPLAYER!!! and HIGHER RESOLUTIONS!!! for a low price of $9.99
That actually would be incline on all accounts.

Severian Silk

I don't think they'll fix what's actually broken about the game. I'm not keeping my hopes up.

(I doubt it will be terrible though.)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All STALKER Games Saved From GameSpy Server Meltdown

clear.jpg

GameSpy has officially exploded, and games are still fleeing from ground zero while green smoke and shrapnel billows every which way. It’s been a messy process, to say the least, with some games finding happy new homes while others collapsed on the street side, never to rise again. STALKER, thankfully, has made it out at the last second, with whatever remains of GSC releasing a patch for STALKER, STALKER: Clear Sky, and STALKER: Call of Pripyat to migrate online functionality onto their own servers.

You can download the patch here. GSC explained it thusly:

“Because of the declared closure of GameSpy multiplayer game services, we made our own server intended to replace GameSpy. This update is required for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game clients (and servers) to enable establishing connection to a new server. All CD-Keys issued before are still valid on a new server. New players’ profiles should be created in Call of Pripyat. Game statistics not maintained.”

The new patch also improves V-Sync in high-end graphics cards, so hurrah for that.

Does anyone still play STALKER multiplayer, though? Did anyone ever really play it much? Personally, I never touched it, and now Survarium seems like it intends to take STALKER’s barebones approach and turn it into less of a sideshow. Don’t get me wrong: I’m super glad GSC stepped up and kept its game from withering to dust in GameSpy’s uranium-green wastes, but what kind of community does STALKER multiplayer have?

garren

Arcane
Patron

And Linux version.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-02-new-unreal-tournament-3-patch-keeps-multiplayer-alive

Epic is making a new Unreal Tournament game, but that doesn't mean it's forgot about the last game in the multiplayer shooter series, Unreal Tournament 3.

UT3, released in 2007, had been under threat from the GameSpy server shutdown. But there is a patch available that will allow people to keep playing multiplayer.

The patch is a replacement executable, Epic said on its website, that directs users to a new UT3 master server that is hosted on the Epic Games server back alongside the servers for Unreal Tournament 99 and Unreal Tournament 2004. The patch works with the Steam version of the game.

One downside to the move from GameSpy is currently registered names will be lost, so you'll need to recreate your username on the new master server.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-multiplayer-saved-following-gamespy-shutdown

After EA canned the Command & Conquer reboot and GameSpy shut its doors, the future looked bleak for the long-running real-time strategy series.

But now Command & Conquer enthusiasts have launched a server to keep multiplayer in a raft of games in the series alive, so even if it doesn't look like new games in the series will be released any time soon, we can dip into the past for some classic C&C action.

C&C: Online, available by registering with Revora and installing a launcher, is a free GameSpy emulating server for C&C games affected by the GameSpy closure, including Generals, Zero Hour, C&C3, Kane's Wrath and Red Alert 3.

It's designed to be a direct continuation of the online service that was available before GameSpy went down. You can even continue to use mods with it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...c-multiplayer-to-be-returned-online-via-steam

The PC version of Borderlands will soon once again support online multiplayer thanks to an upcoming update that will move the game's servers onto Steam.

Borderlands' multiplayer was a casualty ofGameSpy's mass server shutdown, which ended the online components of hundreds of titles back in May.

Publisher 2K Games stated back in April that it was "investigating the technical feasibility" of transitioning Borderlands and Civilization Revolution. Meanwhile, countless other titles were shuttered for good.

Now, in a new game update detailed on Steam Community, 2K has removed the title's SecuRom DRM and allowed users access to a Granting Tool that can turn retail Borderlands discs into Steam versions.

DLC keys can also be imported, allowing those with DLC bought outside of Steam to activate and match their content.

Full multiplayer through Steamworks is promised for a future update. A news ticker on the game's main menu has been added to keep users informed on its progress.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Suppose that's nice of them although wholly unnecessary. How many people still coop Borderlands 1 with 2 at the end of it's lifecycle and a 'presquel' coming out in a couple of months?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-17-civilization-3-multiplayer-transfers-to-steam

Civilization 3 multiplayer transfers to Steam

Firaxis has continued to support its 13-year-old strategy game Civilization 3 with the release of a new update that makes multiplayer work through Steam.

The update that replaces GameSpy with Steam for multiplayer is out now, Firaxis revealed.

This all relates to the Steam version of Civilization 3, which launched in October 2001. But if you own a physical disc version, get in touch with 2K Support and they should sort you out.

Here's the developer's message:
  • The update that replaces GameSpy with Steam for multiplayer functionality is now available via Steam. The game functions identically to the previous GameSpy version with the exception that the "Direct IP" option has been removed as it is no longer supported. Save game data should not be negatively affected. If you own a physical disc version of Civilization III and are interested in receiving this multiplayer update, please submit a support request.
GameSpy's servers shut down last year, and since then some, but not all, games affected have transferred their multiplayer over to Steam.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
They are probably going to fix this and you're going to be able to play the game online now. Give them a chance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom