Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gaming moods

Mustawd

I'm not sure about the rest of you here, but I tend to game in mainly one genre at a time. If I get in a certain mood, say for strategy games, and I typically play four or five games in a row before getting slightly burned out on them.

I might play a different genre here and there, but I usually gravitate towards the given genre I'm in the mood. Even if I make myself try and play a game because I know it will be fun, it usually doesn't hold my interest if I'm not in the mood for it. For example, I have a variety of strategy games in my library. I know they are a ton of fun. Civ 2 and Civ 3 are some of my favorite games. 4X games can also be a ton of fun.

But I haven't been in the mood for them for whatever reason. I tried forcing myself to play Age of wonders 1, because I've had fun with it before, but to no avail. Even if I brought the heavy hitters like Civ 2 and HoMM 3, I still don't think I'd be intrigued.

It's kind of a strange development, and it never happened to me when I was young. I have a feeling that having access to so many choices really tends to mess with what I enjoy on a day to day basis. Right no I'm all into blobbers. Probably will be for a few months. Who knows what the next genre will be?

Anyone else have similar experiences?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I generally play whatever I find fun. Which can also mean that I might be playing 5 different games at the same time.

Mustawd

Which can also mean that I might be playing 5 different games at the same time.

See, I just can't do that. Even when I was young I normally could only play 2 games at once. Any more and I'd feel like I wasn't getting the true experience of the game by cutting it up so much.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I tend play any one game till I hit a roadblock, at which point I switch to another and so on. Eventually, I'll randomly hit upon an idea to get past said roadblock, at which point I resume the game. Depending on circumstances it can take months before I resume a game.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
That's true and no mistake. If I get into a fantasy mood, then all other types of games go out of the window. It usually lasts for a couple of months and then it's time for a change. I like that, since it brings variety and a bit of spice into my hobby. ;)

Angthoron

Arcane
I think I had a few different phases.

First was when I'd play some game to death, like, say, Transport Tycoon. I'd come back from school and play it and play it and play it whenever I wasn't out or doing whatever had to be done. Fuck that game was awesome. Then it was Fallout games, M&M 6-8, Torment... I'd just play the shit out of them.

Second phase was in the uni. I got my proper interwebs connection so my selection of games to play was massive, and my PC was finally good enough to handle anything that I threw at it, AND had enough space to have more than 1 game installed. And WoW came out. So I would play the shit out of WoW, but at the same time I'd start playing other games.

Now I'm in third phase, where I could play anything I want whenever time permits me but generally I look at my collection and go "Meh, this would take too much of my time" or "Meh, this is shitty" or "Meh, the loading time is longer than my interest is going to hold". I'm not too happy about it, but what can you do.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I change my mood constantly that why ever since my C64 days I always rotate genres.

At any given moment I need to have installed one strategy, one RPG and one action game which I rotate on daily basis.

I'm usually juggling a fighting game and maybe 1 other game of a different genre (typically something slower paced, such as an RPG). Fighting games are probably my favorite genre all in all, just because even the simplest ones have such a high skill ceiling.

pippin

I tend to prefer slower games, such as strategy, rpgs and adventures. I do worry when the game takes me more than 50 hours to complete, but if it's good enough I can just handle it. I'm more likely to play twice through a 15 hour game than a 50 hour one though, even if the 15 hour game is a linear, no choice kind of deal and the 50 hours one is an open world one full of choices. Sometimes I play quicker games, like beat em ups, the Mystara games are my favorites because both of them are over in one hour and a half. And sometimes I'd play bad games just for the lulz. It actually depends of what I want to do at the time. I've never really played games with an archivist mindset, that is, I've never really paid attention to systems or mechanics, and only bother to properly learn them if the game is interesting enough for me. Games are like a mental vacation for me.

Melcar

Arcane
Nowadays I just pick up quick non-cerebral games, like a fps shooter or some light adventure game. I do still pick up rpgs and strategy games from time to time, but I tend to avoid those since once I start I never let go, and these days I really don't have the luxury of investing so much time on a game. Of course, there are still those times I just say fuck it and disconnect for several days to binge on rpgs or tbs strategy games.

Mustawd

I tend to prefer slower games, such as strategy, rpgs and adventures. I do worry when the game takes me more than 50 hours to complete, but if it's good enough I can just handle it. I'm more likely to play twice through a 15 hour game than a 50 hour one though, even if the 15 hour game is a linear, no choice kind of deal and the 50 hours one is an open world one full of choices.

I do still pick up rpgs and strategy games from time to time, but I tend to avoid those since once I start I never let go, and these days I really don't have the luxury of investing so much time on a game

So much this. I have a ton of RPGs in my backlog, and while I would love to play them all I think about is how much investment it takes to really get into one. When I had a whole summer to do it? For sure. Now? It's very tough to do. And I really think it has an influence on what mood I'm in.

I can pick up a rogue-like or an ARPG and start having fun instantly. Or I can boot up an RPG...learn the interface...the rules...the lore...go through chargen, and fuck it I need to go to bed because I have work tomorrow. :negative:

Actually, it might be why I'm preferring tactics games over strategy games lately. They can have complexity as well, but normally they're easier to get into. There are some exceptions like Blackguards and 7,62 Calibre.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I pretty much always have a run through an RPG in progress, and I'll be playing 1 other game alongside it. So RPG is a constant and I jump around everything else. I default back to Dark Souls a lot, because I just never seem to get bored of the combat, although I wish it had some sort of boss-rush mode

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom