Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gaming retrospective

SymbolicFrank

Magister
I'm getting old. Or at last, that's what everyone is telling me when I'm discussing games.

Well, of course they're right. I'm 49. That's old. But I do make up my own mind. About everything. Stubborn. Self-assured. But with a wide-open mind. So, if enough people say that I am stupid and don't understand, that makes me question my reasoning and motivations, and requires a decent investigation.

So, that's what I'm going to do in this thread. That probably fits me better than trying to join other threads. :)

So, without further ado, let's start with trying to find out if games were measurably better/more fun in the past, or that I am just growing old and think that a long time ago, when I was young, everything was better.

:) I am curious how it will turn out.

Actually I am going to start with a disclaimer: I expect most posters around here to agree with my general sentiment, so I have to be more rigorous in my methodology. This is not a popularity contest.

Last edited:

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Ok. Part 1.

Let's start with my Holy Grail of Gaming: Deus Ex.

Any successors? Hm. Not really. DX2 was pretty bad. DX: HR does try, but is mostly cringeworthy. Bioshock? No. Vampire: Bloodlines? Nice try, but definitely not, it's a very different kind of game.

So, why do I think Deus Ex is still the best game ever? Do I even think that? Because it's very dependent on which games I recently played, and it didn't age all that well, graphically.

Ok, it does still look better than System Shock 2, but that's not an accomplishment, and there is a whole suite of mods to make SS2 high-res and current. While the high-res mods for Deus Ex are only partially implemented.

But, let's get back. What makes Deus Ex such a great game to me, and which recent games supersede it?

Well, to start: Deus Ex is not as much a game as a simulation. Sure, Havok physics were nonexistent at that time, but they do make the effort.

It tries to recreate a living and breathing world, and it mostly succeeds in that.

In that world, you are to play James Bond, as you envision him. You get a task, and it's completely up to you how you are going to accomplish it. This is where all successors fail spectacularly.

It's not like a maze with multiple, linear paths. If I should describe the levels, I would say that they are all small, open worlds. And the RPG aspects work really well. "You feel stronger"!

"Radiant AI" is happening, on a small scale. Because all the inhabitants do their own thing, regardless.

And, last but not least: a lot of interest for the small details and a coherent story / world. You're there.

Are there any recent games that offer that? I know none.

Last edited:

SymbolicFrank

Magister
The previous post isn't actually questioning all that much. Or asking difficult questions, like: "why?".

Some more background is required.

The only time I got really lyrical about a game and started to post fan fiction (The Story of Bitch, on the Black Isle Boards), was after I discovered Planescape: Torment. Or, more specifically, the story of the Nameless One.

That was also the first time I got into conflict with Josh, as he was moderator (and later admin) on that board. Good times. :)

It was... a shaping event.

Ok, some more background is required.

I am very smart. To the point, that it is a real challenge to communicate with other people. There tends to be little understanding if I simply speak my mind. So, I have to connect with other people on the emotional level. And P:T excels there.

There are no video games that challenge me on an intellectual level, but there are a few that do so on an emotional level. Deus Ex and Planescape: Torment do so.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Btw, would you be interested in that story of Bitch? I'll post part one underneath.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
The story of Bitch.

This is the story about a guy named Bitch. It should have been Butch, but there you go. At the time of our story, he was working under Director Tarna, from the Ministery of Offending, subsection Unusual and Cruel Punishment. Bitch is build like a bull, behaves like a bully and has a little less brains. His favorite statement: 'whut?'. He speaks very well, though: he can repeat that statement endlessly. And he follows orders exemplary, if you speak slowly and repeat them a few times.

So, the day this story commences, he is ordered to go see Director Tarna.
'Ah, Bitch. Listen. I've got orders from President Diguru. See this picture? I want you to go out and find this guy. Talk some sense into him. He has been bothering the President.'
'whut?'
'Ah, yes. Look! Find! Hit! You got that?'
'Yes!'
'Repeat after me: The President is not pleased.'
'whut?'
'... Nevermind. Go!'
'Yes!'

So our dear hero, Bitch, walks outside and looks everyone he encounters threateningly in the eyes, to see if they match the picture. The third one fits: short, dark hair.
'You!'
'Sorry? Are you talking to me?'

Let us skip all the violence and continue with a smiling Bitch in Director Tarna's office.
'Sir!'
Quite accidentally, Bitch salutes with the hand that holds the poor victim. It happens.
'Hm. Could you try and leave the furniture in one piece next time?'
'whut?'
'Whatever. What is it?'
'Sir! Found and hit! Here!'
While extending the arm that is holding the victim, he manages to strike Director Tarna with the feet of the poor, defenceless victim. Did I tell you he is not very smart, but strong as a bull?
'Bitch, what are you doing? Who is it that you are holding in your hand? What happened?'
'whut?'
'Hmm... Report!'
'Sir! Found and hit! Here!'
'Who did you find?'
'This!' and he shows Tarna the picture, standing proud, a job well-done.
'That is not the guy we were looking for! What happened?'
'whut?'

Anyway, let's leave Director Tarna with his misery and the paperwork, let's skip the parts in which Bitch tries to deliver the poor, innocent, defenseless victim first to the hospital and later (as they cannot help it there) at the mortuary. Let's go back to him when he enters the sidewalk again and let's take a look inside his head.

Short. Light hair.
Long. Light hair.
Short. Dark hair. 'You!'
'Hmm? What is it?'
'This you!' and he shows the picture to the man.
'Eh, what?'
'This! You!' and he thrusts the picture in the man's face.
'Never seen him! I don't know him! Help! Let me go!'
After pondering this for some time, of which the man gladly makes use to run away as fast as he can, Bitch decides to try another one.

Did I tell you that this story takes place inside a very big space station, somewhere in the middle of nowhere? Probably not, as you would probably be hard pressed to believe in the existence of someone like Bitch in a place like that. Well, it does. Happens all the time. Ah, ok, it does not. Only in the case of Bitch. Whatever. Let's continue our story.

Bitch has this affinity with machines. He enters a cab and orders it to 'Go!'. The computer inside the cab is quite a bit more clever than Bitch, so it asks politely: 'Where do you want to go?'
It might be clear at this time, that Bitch is no man of many words (as long as it is not 'whut?'), so he uses this trick, of which he is secretly very proud, and just rams his fist into the dashboard.
'Go!'
Works every time. The poor, terrified cab takes off like a rocket.

At this time in the story, I cannot help but detect some scepticism from people who do not think that computers can be terrified. Rest assured, you would be too, if Bitch rammed his fist inside you! For Bitch, this is a fact of life, and who would we be to argue with that?

After some directionless travel, Bitch looks out of the window and sees the guy from the picture.
'Stop!'
The cab, very happy to get a chance to rid itself from this lethal bulk of muscle, has never been so fast to stop and open its door. Bitch gets out.
'You!'
'Who, me?'
Not very satisfied with the state of affairs so far, Bitch grabs him and hold his head next to the picture. And then, something completely unexplainable happens. Something that has not happened to Bitch for years. Doubt grips what goes for thinking.

This might be a good time to explain something. How could something as Bitch happen, in an age of wonders? Why would people let someone as Bitch happen to them? It is a good question. You see, Bitch was an experiment. Some very old and very wise people wanted to know if it was possible for a human to succeed in a high-tech environment without more brains than are needed for reflexes and motor control. To make sure the experimentee had a chance to survive, they took someone that would be aborted for being moronic otherwise and strengtened its muscles, bones and skin with an organic lattice made of very high tension stuff. And while they were at it, they gave him an extended immune-system. All in all, the experiment was not very sucessful. But while it failed, those very old and very wise people thought that it might be better to let the subject live than to risk very extensive damage to the station while trying to kill it. So they did. Ok, old and not very wise, you get it. But that's what happened.

Let's get back to where we were. For the first time, a thought surfaces in Bitch's brain. It has taken 24 years to develop, so it has to be important! And it is something unprecedented to Bitch. He is stunned. And it is a very strange thing: he thinks he should be more nice to people. How about that!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom