Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gauntlet revives

sbb

Learned
Where's my damn digital comic pre-order bonus :rpgcodex:
Just read it. Wish I'd never wondered :negative:

sbb

Learned
Anyone willing to post some impressions?
I've completed the game now (it's extremely short, about six hours long). It's very well-put together gameplay-wise, and you can tell the people who made it are very talented. There's not a lot of content, but enough of it is non-descript enough to not grow tired of it too fast. Items in the shop cost too much to be used as really anything but endgame grinding, which I imagine is going to be at least somewhat fun to do considering how challenging the game is on higher difficulties. At $20 it is a little hard to recommend unless you really are into the genre.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I've completed the game now (it's extremely short, about six hours long). It's very well-put together gameplay-wise, and you can tell the people who made it are very talented. There's not a lot of content, but enough of it is non-descript enough to not grow tired of it too fast. Items in the shop cost too much to be used as really anything but endgame grinding, which I imagine is going to be at least somewhat fun to do considering how challenging the game is on higher difficulties. At $20 it is a little hard to recommend unless you really are into the genre.

Completed the first dungeon on Unfair and walked out with about 18k in gold. That's probably the best way to acquire gold. Also, the number of enemies you see on Unfair is insane. Giant armies at some points with all kinds of nasty shit sprinkled in there...

The game seems easier with fewer people in the game. I ran the Unfair dungeon with just me (warrior) and a wizard. When it's 4-people it quickly turns into a clusterfuck, especially because the camera is fixed, and if people spread out you can easily get Contra'd off-screen.

My main beef thus far is that it doesn't run the greatest. I avoid the lava stages because all the fire kills my frame-rate.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I finished the whole campaign on solo mod with the Elf. And it was really fun. There is some variety in enemies, but not much. The puzzles are easy and not confusing. But what is important, that the game has a proper arcade feeling. Nice, clean graphics and smooth animation with top down view is more than enough in Gauntlet reincarnation. The shop items are painfully expensive to upgrade, but I suppose you can invite someone and play it on higher difficulty.

I bought this a couple of weeks ago and was able to play today with a friend, it was great fun but classes seem to be a little imbalanced. I was playing as the Warrior and his charge move has considerable (like 1s) windup, and he has no block, so getting out of "oh shit" moments is quite hard without some pre-planning. His spinning move is invulnerable, but the cooldown is fairly long so you can't spam it that much. It's enjoyable to play, and challenging, but when you consider the Valkyrie - which does pretty much everything the Warrior does but better, with a faster dash that's possible to cancel the recovery of; or the elf, which does more damage and has an instant roll, things do seem a little unfair.

Not that I mind it all that much - the game is well-crafted, low on the BS factor and the progression system isn't as bad as I had hoped - I still would have preferred no progression system at all, though.

I'm playing on Hard (I like it that there are limited lives and dying is quite possible) and it's fairly challenging so far, we got to the 3rd World. Would recommend for sure.

Game was patched yesterday - unsurprisingly, Warrior got buffed (charge is faster and spin cooldown reduced), and Valkyrie got nerfed (they fixed the dash shield cancel cheese). Awesome!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Enhanced Edition phenomenon strikes again: http://arrowheadgamestudios.com/gauntlet-its-alive/

Gauntlet – It’s alive!
By Emil Englund on May 22, 2015

Gauntlet fans,

I know that you have been in the dark for a while now, possibly thinking that we were concentrating all our efforts on other things.

I am here to tell you that this is not the case and that the team has been tirelessly working on the game. We have big improvements and a few new features coming up for Gauntlet! Something which we know a lot of you were crying out for.

I can’t tell you too much right now, but if you keep watching this space we will be releasing little teasers and tidbits of information over the next few months.

In truth, we were never fully satisfied with how Gauntlet turned out. So, rather than just fixing little things here and there, we have been working on the core of the game to turn it into what we originally envisioned.

This will mean a free major content update for the game, including improvements to the Campaign and the Colosseum as well as a brand new game mode. I’m pretty sure I was allowed to tell you about the game mode…

Additionally, Arrowhead is taking over management of the Gauntlet online communities from now on. You can talk to us directly on theGauntlet Steam forum, Gauntlet’s Facebook page and @playgauntletTwitter.

We will share all the latest news and try to answer your questions daily. We’re also digging through your past posts to find issues we might need to look into.

I think the PR-people are onto me. Gotta go.

Emil Englund – Game Director

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
I got this out of nostalgia and realized during the tutorial that nostalgia is not a good reason to blow $20.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
the steam patch "Slayer Edition" is here, and oh, it brings the original gauntlet mod this time : the infinite dungeons: with money to buy food, potions, skull coins and more power with the unlocked items
Free for those who already purchased the game

Time to have more fun

The patch was actually a huge overhaul of the base game. Commendable attitude by the devs really.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
So is it any good?
depends if you like cliky clicky games.Some claim camera issues, but I don't feel so.And Great Deceiver is right, this patch is a huge amount of work

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom