Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Gearbox seeks dev collaboration for next Duke Nukem game

Astral Rag

Arcane
Gearbox seeks dev collaboration for next Duke Nukem game
By Tom Phillips Published 15/07/2015
18j45i0ypjrerjpgespsc.jpg

Gearbox Studios boss Randy Pitchford has said that he wants to work on a new Duke Nukem game, aided by an outside developer.

Speaking at the Develop 2015 conference today, attended by Eurogamer, Pitchford explained that Gearbox had worked on concepts for a follow-up to Duke Nukem Forever.

But getting the game made would likely require Gearbox to rope in extra development support from another studio, Pitchford said.

"I did not acquire the franchise merely so people could experience Duke Nukem Forever," he explained when asked if another Duke Nukem title would be made. "That was, sort of, the toll to pay to give Duke Nukem a chance at a future.

"So yes. In fact, we've done some concept development. The challenge is that Gearbox is very busy. A faster way would be if the correct developer would become interested and we'd work with them."

Forever received a decidedly mixed response when it was released in 2011, after more than a decade and a half in and out of development hell.

"I think that's it's a challenging problem," Pitchford continued, "but there's no doubt that, when it does happen, the entire industry will turn its head. Getting attention in this industry is one of the hardest things to do.

"That's probably one of the biggest problems Forever had - for 10 years it was promised as the greatest game that would ever be made. It was legendary in its vapourware status. So it had a particular pole of attention."

Gearbox collaborated with another developer for its critically-panned shooter Aliens: Colonial Marines, which was co-developed by TimeGate Studios. TimeGate was forced to file for bankruptcy and shut down shortly after.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
tl;dr - Pitchford admits that Gearbox are shit and cannot afford to make a proper game on their own.

No dev in their right minds would work with Gearbox after their latest line of travesties.

Riskbreaker

I'm sure people are already waiting in line for that one-in-the-lifetime chance to be blamed for everything if the next Duke game turns out to be utter shite and/or commercial failure, or to have all the credit taken away from them if their game becomes even a marginal success.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Give it to Flying Wild Hog. They remade Shadow Warrior and it's pretty good.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Give it to Flying Wild Hog. They remade Shadow Warrior and it's pretty good.
End yourself, the Shadow Warrior remake is a complete travesty. Those devs already showed they don't understand how to design good FPS with shit reset

Don Peste

Arcane
Latest FPS developed by National Alliance kinda reminded me of DNF, and even thought they're a small team I think they would understand and accomplish Gearbox standards.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Gearbox too busy making Borderlands 3 and their shitty new MOBA game.

Luka-boy

Arcane
In before Bethesda. They're making the new Doom so they must know about making good modern FPS games, right? :M

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Aiding? Just outsource it completely.
Even two modders made a DN3D mod based off mere snippets of the DNF E3 '01 trailer which ended up better than the abomination Gearbox thought was okay.

Love

Cipher

I love how Pitchford calls the accusations about the game's presentations hurtful and unhelpful but not lies. He knows that presenting scripted videos as live footage is nowhere near normal within the industry.
And who even gives a fuck if he sunk his own money in the game too? This doesn't make the game any better or absolves him from the debacle. And as far as I know the accusation still stands that they used Sega's money at some point not on the agreed on project.

There were developers speaking out about what a huge catastrophe the development was and there is no excuse for them.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Sounds like another moneybait for Borderlands3. You'll see, I'll quote my post in the future.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The new wolfenstain is good, give it to those devs?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom