Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Gearbox seeks dev collaboration for next Duke Nukem game

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
2000636925.png

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/alien-colonial-marines-cost-ceo-randy-pitchford-10/1100-6428890/

FoolishLongFreshwatereel.gif

Give it to Flying Wild Hog. They remade Shadow Warrior and it's pretty good.

SWREboot was slighty worse than average at best DNF.

Seriously I can't think of a single competent devteam to done that, maybe PFC with Chmielarz reunited? Or give it to some talented Japs - Platinum? Binary Domain creators?

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Seriously I can't think of a single competent devteam to done that, maybe PFC with Chmielarz reunited? Or give it to some talented Japs - Platinum? Binary Domain creators?
We are talking about developing a game that is American to its very core. Do you think non-Americans can even begin to understand Nuke Dukem?
Give to to From Software.
256px-Metalwolfcover.jpg

We are talking about developing a game that is American to its very core. Do you think non-Americans can even begin to understand Nuke Dukem?

Problem is there are recently no Americans there to do Duke even little piece of justice.

And yes, From Soft is a good choice, but Binary Domain was a game that combined in one geam a 100% western formula and japanese quality, I'd give its devs a chance. At least Japs still target their games to players, not doribros.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
If you absolutely want to give Duke Nukem to an indie studio, give it to Free Lives! (Broforce).

Riskbreaker

Ya know, I'm kinda eager to see some of those retrospective-style articles on DNF and Colonial Marines that are just bound to start appearing on major sites close to release of the next big Gearbox title.
I can already imagine 'em, all filled with author's warm memories of those games and claims how they were some sort of "rough gems" that were "unfairly criticized" by "DA VOCAL MINORITY".

pippin

The japanese (or at least a considerable number of them) are obsessed with american culture, in levels only japanese people could ever reach.
Do you remember this white gal who wanted to be black? Well, the japanese have been doing it for years.

a8772d00-c0d0-11e3-9333-b5d4c5b8f2ee_Screen-Shot-2014-04-10-at-3-39-04-PM.png

1397394392342.jpg

And that's just one aspect. Westaboos aren't really popular in Japan, though (from what I understand), just remember how Cowboy Bebop wasn't really great there but it's considered to be a cult classic here in the West. I do believe the Japanese could replicate Duke Nukem's sense of humor.

Angthoron

Arcane
This thread has raised my blood pressure a few times. Good job netizens.

lightbane

Arcane
Latest FPS developed by National Alliance kinda reminded me of DNF, and even thought they're a small team I think they would understand and accomplish Gearbox standards.

Hmm, I dunno. I would say this... Thing is better than DNF, if only because:

-It has non-corridor levels and (somewhat) open areas.
-The protagonist doesn't tell an horrible joke every 3 seconds.
-No regenerating health.
-No horrible driving sections.
-No self-aware comments from the main character that recognizes how awful these sections were, making it even worse :argh::argh::argh::argh:
-No out-of-character psychothic comments.
-No terrible underwater levels that are some of the worst ever done in the story of gaming.
-No blatant padding segments in which you must literally fetch shit such as vibrators in order to progress.

And so on. Gearbox should rot in hell for what they did to Duke.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Gearbox made only 1 good series, Brothers in Arms, in their most wise decision they stopped making the only good series they have and started producing shit.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
No AAA developer is going to touch Duke Nukem as long as the SJW police is around, you all know that, right ?
Or else, it's going to be a neutered Duke Nukem.

Writing-wise I don't think you could even do Duke Nukem anymore. Duke Nukem was Duke Nukem because the 80s and 90s action movie genre was awesome and full of quotable moments and referenceable material. In the 21st century action movies are dull as shit, trying to draw pop culture humor from them is trying to squeeze blood from a turnip. It's not even an SJW thing (though SJWs ARE what gets in the way of a shadow warrior remake).

Gameplay-wise, yeah it's a wasteland devoid of talent that would probably struggle to even compare to DN3D. The best you could hope for would be for a good level editor and no health regen/limited weapons crap.

Mmmh so $10m for Avellone to write the script for DNF2 eh?

I'd actually like to see this.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You could do it but you'd be writing the game for people 35 and older. The twenty-somethings and younger wouldn't care because they just want to play the coolest AAA mainstream nuShit.

Love

Cipher
Nobody would be too happy nowadays to explain why you'd have to shoot pigs in police uniforms and I'm not even sure I would like all the stuff 3D introduced. That video of the woman giving birth amongst those aliens is quite shocking and not really funny. I don't know how the console games handled the atmosphere though.

Severian Silk

Give it to Flying Wild Hog. They remade Shadow Warrior and it's pretty good.

SWREboot was slighty worse than average at best DNF.

I kind of agree. The japanese are the only ones left capable of the un-self-referential cheese necessary to make the game.

Love

Cipher
I kind of agree. The japanese are the only ones left capable of the un-self-referential cheese necessary to make the game.

I guess you haven't counted the toilet jokes in the expansions to Duke Nukem 3D.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Gearbox made only 1 good series, Brothers in Arms, in their most wise decision they stopped making the only good series they have and started producing shit.
Seriously? Brothers in Arms is an overrated schematic game whereby you go through a linear path doing the same suppress and flank mechanic against brain dead Nazi mooks that fall for the same routine 50 times in a row. It seemed cool the first time you saw it, but after a few hours it was like "is that all there is?". The other games in the series were virtually identical and Hell's Highway introduced even more generic COD derp such as the sniper mission where you casually waste dozens of oblivious Krauts to protect some kid that dies anyway to your own side without any kind of deeper reflection about the futility of war and whether the 'good' guys are actually that good. The Germans are naturally the moustache twirling bestial huns. Wolfenstein had more nuanced enemies!

The only good thing Gearbox made was Opposing Force back in 1999. Borderlands series is ok for what it is too but still the familiar Gearbox 'one trick pony' show is there to see with every game being more or less the same.

I'm enraged that this pseudo developer that did nothing much apart from mission packs and ports and some average but mostly rank games has lasted so long (thanks to lucking it with Borderlands) while much better developers disappeared into oblivion. Where's the justice? Shit really does float....

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If you absolutely want to give Duke Nukem to an indie studio, give it to Free Lives! (Broforce).

Making platform game similar to the roots of the whole series ? With good gameplay and 2d graphics. But there is only one problem - it doesn't scream AAA into your face while you punch a pigcop in glorious 3d graphics.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Have you seen Broforce lately? One of the bros tears mook's guts out with his melee attack. Another one tasers his victim, leaving it helpless and open to violence rape. All Broforce needs is voice acting for the one-liners and Duke's good to bro!

Duke Nukem is not AAA material. He never has been, he just accidentally ended up there after Duke Nukem 3D and was forcefully kept in the AAA division for 14 years due to the massively overextended development time.

Besides, Serious Sam has made him redundant, appearing in spin-off after spin-off while Duke rots away.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom