Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gearbox's Homeworld 1 & 2 HD Remakes - A New Hope

undu

Novice
There is no multiplayer at all in Homeworld 2 Classic. GearBox disabled it. Even for IP connections.

:dead:
It's in the game, actually.

The only obstacle is that the menu doesn't have a button for it, you can solve it changing the menu.
With a mod, for example.

Perkel

Arcane
In Original HW carrier didn't have guns
Raider carrier always had twin ion cannon and full complement of point defense guns.

ion cannons ? Are we talking about 2 mission or something else ? Because i just finished it and no guns on carrier.
Maybe default script for that mission carrier doesn't allow attacking ? Bug ?
We are talking about every single Turanic Raider carrier ever.
Maybe default script for that mission carrier doesn't allow attacking ? Bug ?

afydfl.png

I've read that the remake is bugged, and the fearsome Turanic Carrier that scared the shit out of my 10-years old self has no Ion Cannons. In the original I can guarantee that it has them.[/spoiler]

In mission 3 it works ok gunblazing with ion cannons

bonescraper

Wow, looks like this game is torally broken. They messed up with core cool features such as enemy faction carrier capture, wtf. Thank god it comes with the originals, since i prefer the original graphics and designs. Yeah, since i prefer my smooth spaceships and blurry backdrops. Homeworld was and still is perfect.

This game is pure :decline:

Perkel

Arcane
yeah dropped remastered edition and gone straight to classic.
Damn i forgot how awesome UI was for original HW. And it doesn't have mouse lag like in remastered edition.

Gotta finish HW then Cataclysm. Managed to get it working under win7

Severian Silk

Last edited by a moderator:

DraQ

Arcane
Gotta finish HW then Cataclysm. Managed to get it working under win7
Tell how.
Actually, as far as engine capabilities go, remaster based on fixed cata with new renderer and HD assets would probably be the sanest option. Cata seems to have feature parity with the original, plus a bunch of useful improvements like modules. I can't think of anything in any Homeworld that couldn't be replicated in Cata, and it's not like derpy features like homing energy cannons, derpy sensors or animated backgrounds would have to be used.

Perkel

Arcane
compatibility mode with NT service pack 5 does the trick. Then you can switch to opengl renderer.

without it you can run it in software mode which is uber shit

Severian Silk

I don't view Relic very favorably either. They abandoned HW2, and a lot of HWR's problems stem from that.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
From what i remember i enjoyed hw 2 as much as hw 1, cataclysm was kind of different.

DraQ

Arcane
compatibility mode with NT service pack 5 does the trick. Then you can switch to opengl renderer.
:salute:
It improved HW1 as well - I finally managed to use OpenGL instead of D3D and I got rid of menu flicker.

software mode which is uber shit
I know.

And BTW: is there any way to kill skybox anims (short of switching the skybox off)? Do they run on vertex lighting?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Finished the Homeworld 1 campaign last night (this is probably my 5th or 6th play through) and am about 1/3 of the way through Homeworld 2 as of posting this. There are definitely some bugs with pathing and formations: HW2 seems to work fine with strike groups, but not formations, and HW1 has issues with both, although strike groups are the less buggy of the two. There are also a few scripting bugs that render some of the threats in the campaign less formidable -- for example the Ghost Ship after Kadesh no longer seems to be mobile. In terms of core gameplay however, the HW1 campaign is pretty close to the original game with the only key difference I noticed was the inability to build anything out of captured enemy carriers. Homeworld 2, meanwhile, plays exactly like the patched original -- I still prefer the unpatched, higher difficulty version of the campaign, though. I'm concerned about the fact that skirmish/multiplayer allows matches between Homeworld 1 and Homeworld 2 fleets, since the mechanics of those two fleets are so much different. Fortunately, it does like there is mode setting which allows you to have exclusively HW1 fleets, exclusively HW2 fleets, or both.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with this remake. Most of my gripes center around the bugs that seem to have been introduced by porting HW1 to the HW2 engine, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Gearbox eventually sorts them out. I'm not holding my breath on it though. In the meantime, I haven't been this engrossed in a game for quite some time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom