Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gears of War Series - IP now sold to Microsoft. Is Epic Games in trouble?

Now that the dust has settled on the Gears of War series I thought it would be an interesting exercise to look and collate some opinions. How exactly should we view it in retrospect?

The games are the dictionary definition of popamole - cover-based shooting, regenerating health, a green-brown colour palette etc. The first is largely responsible for the current dominance of crappy cover-based shooting mechanics because it was so successful. According to wackypedia the game had sold around 5.88 million copies worldwide two years after its release.

The problem is I remember the 1st game being kind of, you know, fun. It has probably the only cover-based control system that has ever worked well, decent firefights with a variety of neat little touches like the timed reloading mechanic or having to physically pick up ammo, reasonable enemy variety and an unintrusive story that serves only as a vehicle to take you from level to level (crucial in this kind of action game).

Any opinions? The hiltersatans that killed the gaming industry? Or fun, unpretentious blasters whose success had unfortunate repercussions?

Please note that I only played the first game.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I liked the board game. I wish they'd make a Gears of War: The Board Game: The Video Game.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Also the first one got simple order menu to control team members. Just go there, do that. You miss it in later games when derpy AI run gun blazind right into arms of Lady Berzerker on highest difficulty level.
:x
I think that high difficulties were cool training (of patience), finished them both and never throwed controller, almost do in some points like entrance to the cave with vehicle in GoW2 where you'll be obliterated in 0.000025 second by some random turret that's single pixel on TV. Also - defending satellite at the end was pure bullshit.

Played first one for PC and Xbawx360 and second one. Didn't tried 3 and Jugment because finance problems and whatever.... that was my only console since Amiga CD32.

Tried to play it on Win 7 64 but can't even launch main menu, just went dark and crash.
I know about Time Patch but it's not the cure.

And yeah - it's first and only popamole game where popamole system work.
Tried GTA4 and sold few hours later.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I played the first game, and the only impression I really gathered from it was that despite being a game about burly mountains of meat in power armor killing hordes of aliens from inside the earth with chainsaw-rifles, with competent popamole shooting and all, it still somehow managed to be an extremely dull and boring experience.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Dull and boring, that's what I get from my 1 hour playing of the first game.

It's the same for me on Halo 1. M$ and their xbawks exclusives are all shitty.

The series brought a lot of crappy, forgettable shooters, but I can't help but admire the setting's childish brutality with its ridiculously muscled marines going up against ridiculously muscled aliens with chainsaw bayonets and curb-stomping, "They're sinking cities with a giant worm", etc.

The stupidity of it all made it more interesting than just playing a military shooter with a third-person cover mechanic, even if it had a "deep" story (like Specs Ops: The Line).

Exactly. Given the predominance of popamole action games I'd much rather dumb popamole action games with decent mechanics and gadgets like this rather than pretentious attempts at "emotional engagement" and pseudointellectual wankery (looking at you Spec Ops).

In saying that please don't get the impression that I'm ignorant of how much the series has done to stifle creativity in AAA development. Imagine how much better any one of Mass Effect, Deus Ex: HR or Alpha Protocol would be if their combat encounters weren't designed with cover based shooting in mind.

Last edited:

Telengard

Arcane
Now that the dust has settled on the Gears of War series I thought it would be an interesting exercise to look and collate some opinions. How exactly should we view it in retrospect?

The games are the dictionary definition of popamole -

This is the dictionary definition of popamole:
Popamole
Popamole: A word used by people of RPG Codex when talking about any game not made in the Infinity Engine.

Characterized as a game that doesn't have a clunky interface, and design bugs.
RPG Codex Member: I'm tired of this Popamole shit!
Non RPG Codex Member: Have you honestly played any game post Black Isle? Stop living in the past, and move on.
by Woogy March 21, 2013
But, anyway, GoW doesn't deserve the hitlersatans tag. That's for Kill-Switch, the inventors of the popamole. GoW simply popularized that sort of gameplay. So, GoW is just the darkspawn of hitlersatan.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Gears of War in a nut-shell:

They were the pinnacle of popamole shooters. In all senses. If you went in expecting to simply pop some moles and laugh at a retarded plot of people screaming and skilling stuff, they were great.

GoW 1 had the best campaign, GoW was okay and GoW 3 has a HORRRIBLE campaign, extremely boring and trying to make you care about the plot. But the Horde mode of GoW 2 and 3 were extremely fun, especially for some drunk couch co-op.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Say what you will about the crappy popamole mechanism on PC. But on console, it's actually pretty intense and fun.

I played on a PS3 for the first time in my life this Xmas. Was playing The Last of Us, on easy mode. And I couldn't for the life of me kill anything. The sticky cover mechanism was actually "fun" and useful.

I can't imagine anyone picking up a controller for the first time playing a game without that popamole mechanism.

Gotta give CliffB credit for stealing and popularizing this mechanism. A genius move, evil, but still genius.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
It laid the groundwork for The Witcher 2 combat.

dive-roll-o.gif

Behelit

Augur
You need to play the campaign with a friend, playing solo saps the soul. The series shines on the multiplayer and horde modes. Since chest high cover is nigh indestructible, a char not made of paper mache and has the regenerative powers of wolverine, there is incentive to play aggressively and intelligently. You must flank your opponent and rush whenever appropriate, being overcautious makes you their bitch. The active reload mechanic is not difficult but can be a gamble when you need that damage bonus the most. Although many battles devolve into shotgun duels/moshpits, there are enough weapons to keep things lively. There are not many unique weapons (torque bow, hammer of dawn, etc) but I liked in GOW3 for instance there are three flavors of the assault rifle, each requiring a different play style. In GOW 1&2, the team deathmatches had permadeath, I can't recall another console shooter that had the balls to do this. It made each kill incredibly gratifying. For other console shooters, I can jump in and kick ass even when I haven't played in months. Though in this, my GOW skill is perishable, it takes a solid week for me to get into the "flow" of things.

So all in all, shit campaign, fantastic multiplayer, even with its warts (host shotgun anyone?).

i was so excited to try gears of was for the first time, people were so enthusiastic about it.
i doubt i even finished the first level before i uninstalled it. so childish, so ignorant, so linear, so hand-holding... i wasn't prepared to face the so called next-gen of videogaming.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
IP sold to Microsoft. Is Epic in trouble, or did Microsoft offer THAT much money for a decent first party IP to sell their console?

http://news.xbox.com/2014/01/games-microsoft-studios-gears-of-war

Microsoft Studios acquires rights to Gears of War franchise
By Xbox Wire Staff posted January 27, 2014 at 6:00 AM

xbox-wire---gears-of-war-lo.jpg

Post updated to include current franchise logo: 1/27/14– 10 a.m. PST

Today we're excited to announce that Microsoft Studios has acquired the rights to the “Gears of War” franchise from Epic Games, including rights to all existing and future games, entertainment experiences and merchandise. In addition, we are excited to announce that Black Tusk Studios in Vancouver, BC will take over development of the “Gears of War” franchise and that Rod Fergusson, former Director of Production at Epic Games on the “Gears of War” franchise, will join Microsoft and play a key studio leadership role at Black Tusk on the development of the franchise going forward. We had a chance to chat with Phil Spencer, Head of Microsoft Studios, Hanno Lemke, General Manager of Black Tusk Studios at Microsoft Studios, and Rod Fergusson about the big news.

Why did Microsoft purchase the “Gears of War” franchise?
Phil Spencer: It all comes back to our commitment to Xbox fans. The “Gears of War” franchise has a very strong, passionate and valued fan base on Xbox. Over twenty-two million units have been sold across all “Gears of War” titles worldwide, grossing over $1B dollars (US). This franchise, and these fans, are part of the soul of Xbox. By acquiring this franchise, Microsoft Studios will continue to offer them more of their favorite games and entertainment experiences from the “Gears of War” universe.

Why did Epic Games agree to this acquisition?
Hanno Lemke: Epic has been a tremendous partner to work with, and it has been a privilege for Microsoft to be Epic’s publishing partner and work together to achieve the phenomenal success of the “Gears of War” games. Epic remains great partners and good friends of Microsoft Studios. In fact we will collaborate closely with Epic to ensure the inclusion of the Unreal Engine technology into the “Gears of War” franchise going forward remains consistent with the high quality fans have come to expect from the franchise.

Why was an as-yet-unproven studio like Black Tusk chosen to lead the “Gears of War” development over a more established studio?
Phil Spencer: Black Tusk has assembled a world-class team with deep experience and passion for the shooter space, and specifically the “Gears of War” franchise. I am extremely confident that under the leadership of Hanno Lemke, Rod Fergusson and our other leaders in the studio, Black Tusk is well equipped to take on the future development of the “Gears of War” franchise.

Are there plans to bring anyone who worked on previous “Gears of War” games onboard to work on the future of the series?
Hanno Lemke: The news that Rod Fergusson is joining Black Tusk should be really exciting for fans of the franchise. Rod has played a leadership role at Epic on all of the “Gears of Wars” games, he understands the franchise deeply but equally importantly he understands the fans of the franchise – what they love, where they want to see the franchise evolve. Once the news spreads about the opportunities at Black Tusk, I’m confident we’ll see interest from a number of talented developers who share the same passion for the “Gears” franchise as the developers at Black Tusk.

When can we expect to hear more about the plans for the “Gears of War” franchise?
Hanno Lemke: We hope to be able to share more news about “Gears of War” later this year.

You’re moving back to Canada and back to working on the “Gears” franchise. Is it like a homecoming for you?
Rod Fergusson: I’m extremely excited to be joining Black Tusk Studios to oversee development on the “Gears of War” franchise. I’ve been privileged to work on a lot of great games with a lot of great teams, but “Gears” has had the most impact on me professionally and personally, so this really feels like a homecoming. I can’t wait to share more with you all soon.

Finally, Epic games shared the following statement on the acquisition:
“Epic Games has reached an agreement to sell the ‘Gears of War’ intellectual property rights to Microsoft. We’re very proud of the franchise we built in close partnership with Microsoft over the past decade and are happy that this agreement enables Microsoft to forge ahead with the ‘Gears’ universe on their industry-leading platforms as Epic concentrates its efforts on new projects,” said Epic founder and CEO Tim Sweeney. “Epic remains totally dedicated to supporting Xbox One and is licensing the Unreal Engine 4 technology to Microsoft in support of their future projects.”

Last edited:
In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Or did Microsoft offer THAT much money for a decent first party IP to sell their console?

http://news.xbox.com/2014/01/games-microsoft-studios-gears-of-war

Microsoft Studios acquires rights to Gears of War franchise
By Xbox Wire Staff posted January 27, 2014 at 6:00 AM

xbox-wire---gears-of-war-lo.jpg

Post updated to include current franchise logo: 1/27/14– 10 a.m. PST

Today we're excited to announce that Microsoft Studios has acquired the rights to the “Gears of War” franchise from Epic Games, including rights to all existing and future games, entertainment experiences and merchandise. In addition, we are excited to announce that Black Tusk Studios in Vancouver, BC will take over development of the “Gears of War” franchise and that Rod Fergusson, former Director of Production at Epic Games on the “Gears of War” franchise, will join Microsoft and play a key studio leadership role at Black Tusk on the development of the franchise going forward. We had a chance to chat with Phil Spencer, Head of Microsoft Studios, Hanno Lemke, General Manager of Black Tusk Studios at Microsoft Studios, and Rod Fergusson about the big news.

Why did Microsoft purchase the “Gears of War” franchise?
Phil Spencer: It all comes back to our commitment to Xbox fans. The “Gears of War” franchise has a very strong, passionate and valued fan base on Xbox. Over twenty-two million units have been sold across all “Gears of War” titles worldwide, grossing over $1B dollars (US). This franchise, and these fans, are part of the soul of Xbox. By acquiring this franchise, Microsoft Studios will continue to offer them more of their favorite games and entertainment experiences from the “Gears of War” universe.

Why did Epic Games agree to this acquisition?
Hanno Lemke: Epic has been a tremendous partner to work with, and it has been a privilege for Microsoft to be Epic’s publishing partner and work together to achieve the phenomenal success of the “Gears of War” games. Epic remains great partners and good friends of Microsoft Studios. In fact we will collaborate closely with Epic to ensure the inclusion of the Unreal Engine technology into the “Gears of War” franchise going forward remains consistent with the high quality fans have come to expect from the franchise.

Why was an as-yet-unproven studio like Black Tusk chosen to lead the “Gears of War” development over a more established studio?
Phil Spencer: Black Tusk has assembled a world-class team with deep experience and passion for the shooter space, and specifically the “Gears of War” franchise. I am extremely confident that under the leadership of Hanno Lemke, Rod Fergusson and our other leaders in the studio, Black Tusk is well equipped to take on the future development of the “Gears of War” franchise.

Are there plans to bring anyone who worked on previous “Gears of War” games onboard to work on the future of the series?
Hanno Lemke: The news that Rod Fergusson is joining Black Tusk should be really exciting for fans of the franchise. Rod has played a leadership role at Epic on all of the “Gears of Wars” games, he understands the franchise deeply but equally importantly he understands the fans of the franchise – what they love, where they want to see the franchise evolve. Once the news spreads about the opportunities at Black Tusk, I’m confident we’ll see interest from a number of talented developers who share the same passion for the “Gears” franchise as the developers at Black Tusk.

When can we expect to hear more about the plans for the “Gears of War” franchise?
Hanno Lemke: We hope to be able to share more news about “Gears of War” later this year.

You’re moving back to Canada and back to working on the “Gears” franchise. Is it like a homecoming for you?
Rod Fergusson: I’m extremely excited to be joining Black Tusk Studios to oversee development on the “Gears of War” franchise. I’ve been privileged to work on a lot of great games with a lot of great teams, but “Gears” has had the most impact on me professionally and personally, so this really feels like a homecoming. I can’t wait to share more with you all soon.

Finally, Epic games shared the following statement on the acquisition:
“Epic Games has reached an agreement to sell the ‘Gears of War’ intellectual property rights to Microsoft. We’re very proud of the franchise we built in close partnership with Microsoft over the past decade and are happy that this agreement enables Microsoft to forge ahead with the ‘Gears’ universe on their industry-leading platforms as Epic concentrates its efforts on new projects,” said Epic founder and CEO Tim Sweeney. “Epic remains totally dedicated to supporting Xbox One and is licensing the Unreal Engine 4 technology to Microsoft in support of their future projects.”
That sounds creepy.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
With Gears of War Judgement it was clear that Epic already didn't really want to keep going with Gears, and it's becoming increasingly obvious that Epic is becoming a more generic engine technology company rather than a games studio, especially now that so many influential people have left. I think Gears had some good ideas mechanically (the popamole cover shooting concept isn't bad in and of itself), but it's also run its course and it's arguable that the mere cover shooting game mechanic is no longer enough to carry a game entirely anymore (if it ever was).

In other words it makes sense that Epic sold it off. What I'm perhaps more confused by is why Microsoft still apparently values it as much as it does.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
So Epic gonna end like ID.

Also - there was some mass leak from M$, one of them was that the new GoW game developing were started week ago.
Could be bullshit except man behind the leak is now most wanted by M$,

retardation

Learned
No, Epic Games is not in trouble. The guy who was in charge of propaganda (Mike Capps) left in 2012, so Epic wants to do something else now.

Secretninja

Cipher
I thought Epic was in trouble when games like GoW became the standard rather than games like Unreal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom