Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gears of War Series - IP now sold to Microsoft. Is Epic Games in trouble?

Secretninja

Cipher
I don't think Unreal 2 had anything to do with Epic other than Unreal engine. XMP was a blast though.

J1M

Arcane
Nice way to make a little money when you don't want to make any more games in a franchise.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
To hell with GoW. Now I hope they find back to their roots and:

a) produce an awesome remake of Unreal 1 (it's stupid that they never "milked" the people by doing this)
b) produce something I don't care about, as long as I get (a)

Any opinions? The hiltersatans that killed the gaming industry? Or fun, unpretentious blasters whose success had unfortunate repercussions?
Derpy dudebro faggotry that occupied the rightful place of *PROPER* and true in both spirit and form sequels/remakes/spinoffs to Unreal.

Survival of the fittest, bro. *pops collar*

m_s0

Arcane
I don't think Unreal 2 had anything to do with Epic other than Unreal engine.
That's one of its problems, yes.

Still, deciding what to do with the IP was up to Epic so it's not that they aren't responsible for Legend shitting out that abomination.
Truth be told, the mission pack to Unreal which Legend also made wasn't nearly as bad as the sequel. At least that's how I remember it. The Wheel of Time is supposedly decent as well, although I haven't played that one. Legend really should've been allowed to continue making adventure games. There's no question about it.

edit: typo

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Survival of the fittest, bro. *pops mole*
Fixed.

Truth be told, the mission pack to Unreal which Legend also made wasn't nearly as bad as the sequel.
"Not nearly as bad" is an apt description.
The thing is that it isn't really good either - narrative and environmental progression falls flat on its face - after the wreck they no longer even pretend there is one, new enemies and weapons suck, few locations have any atmosphere whatsoever and that's with a lot of the maps being recycled Epic's own Unreal outtakes.

Legend couldn't make anything Unreal even if they had oblivion-style popups in front of their faces telling them how to make every minor step.

J1M

Arcane
Unreal 2 had a well-made weapon. That starting gun with the blue muzzle flash.

More memorable than the last CoD I played (aka CoD 2).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom