Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

gemcraft chasing shadows performance improvements?

deama

Prophet
I've enjoyed playing it so far, but now it stutters like crazy. It used to take me 10 mins to play through a level, now it takes me an hour!! (sometimes more!). From what I can tell, the problem is that I put too many gems and the game tries to render all of their shots when they start attacking, which ends up clogging the wheel per sey...

So I was wondering, can you somehow disable the rendering of gems' bullets? Or maybe there's some other way to improve it?

Ocelot

Learned
If your PC has problem running Gemcraft maybe it's time to upgrade. AMD is going to release some pretty good APUs soon.

deama

Prophet
If your PC has problem running Gemcraft maybe it's time to upgrade. AMD is going to release some pretty good APUs soon.
I hope this image will help me clarify my problem to you:
28641178_1313575725455657_1293493854_o.png

It runs like a damn slideshow! 5FPS!!!

Also, I have a 970gtx and an i5 4000 series, shouldn't be too much of a problem for it?

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
It's been a while since I played it... I have a 970 as well and an i5 4460.
You have a lot of low upgrade level towers on there from what I can see and it's a shit map with multiple entrances...
If I tell you how the meta works it'll probably ruin the game for you entirely.
But the meta is also necessary to keep the game running ok.

It's really not a well-optimized title for some reason. People have gone into it on either the steam forums or elsewhere, I forget where.

I hope the devs eventually come up with a better take on the game both from an engine standpoint and in terms of endgame.

You can basically play just a few endless matches and get to ultra high wizard level and experience everything there is to offer (provided you have acquired the necessary gems)... Getting records in terms of wizard level and being super-anal about ultra-optimized, complicated gem combination seems to be what keeps the ultra-nerds playing, but there's no point imo. Barely changes anything. I guess it's like overclocking addicts or something.

deama

Prophet
It's been a while since I played it... I have a 970 as well and an i5 4460.
You have a lot of low upgrade level towers on there from what I can see and it's a shit map with multiple entrances...
If I tell you how the meta works it'll probably ruin the game for you entirely.
But the meta is also necessary to keep the game running ok.

It's really not a well-optimized title for some reason. People have gone into it on either the steam forums or elsewhere, I forget where.

I hope the devs eventually come up with a better take on the game both from an engine standpoint and in terms of endgame.

You can basically play just a few endless matches and get to ultra high wizard level and experience everything there is to offer (provided you have acquired the necessary gems)... Getting records in terms of wizard level and being super-anal about ultra-optimized, complicated gem combination seems to be what keeps the ultra-nerds playing, but there's no point imo. Barely changes anything. I guess it's like overclocking addicts or something.
I use the crit gem to protect my orb. I generally don't lvl up my slow gem past 15 because diminishing returns. I use a bunch of low lvl-ish mana gems as mana farms.
I'm guessing you meant the meta wherein you put a bunch of traps and put gems in them like mana farming ones and slow ones?

Also, apparentely the creator is working on the next game, says it'll be better optimised and all, let's hope so.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I use the crit gem to protect my orb. I generally don't lvl up my slow gem past 15 because diminishing returns. I use a bunch of low lvl-ish mana gems as mana farms.
I'm guessing you meant the meta wherein you put a bunch of traps and put gems in them like mana farming ones and slow ones?

Also, apparentely the creator is working on the next game, says it'll be better optimised and all, let's hope so.

Why the many low level manafarms? Just on that map because of the multiple entrances?

Yeah, the trap meta (farm plus killgem(s) after all in traps) helps kill stuff at the beginning of the level so that the spawns can't clutter your screen and slow down the game to a crawl.

The other issue is totem spawns when you gembomb waves to 999 entities... This freezes the game a lot. Wall off either the whole map (1 space between walls) so no totems can spawn, or, if you want the xp, wall off a circle at the outside so nothing spawns next to your manfarm/the entrance and let a tower killgem take care of the totems in the circle. Loads of xp but constant freezing when they spawn... May not be worth the time with the freezes. The gem will have to shoot down the ghost thingies (forgot the names) as well to keep them from snatching your trap gems, and so on. set the range to not cover the manafarm (may have to increase range to kill ghost sometimes).
You can also set up a farm for the killbound gems you want to replace the poolbound ones with.

Anyway, I'm not a high level player so better head off to the wiki or steam forums or so for this sort of stuff, but basically:

Best fps = single entrance map + wall off everything to avoid totem spawn + kill everything right after the manafarm at the beginning of the level. Make sure to watch out for those resocketing giants... You can put your trap killgems a bit away from the manafarm and set the range on your lone tower killgem to hit stuff right after the manafarm to kill resocketing giants without disabling your trap killgems... Or even use a larger gap between the two farms so the manafarm doesn't get disabled either (adjust tower range accordingly). But these gaps directly hurt your fps.

deama

Prophet
Why the many low level manafarms? Just on that map because of the multiple entrances?
No it's because it's easier to make 10 lvl 16 gems than to upgrade one of them to 26. It'll also give me more attacks a second. But the side effect is it stutters like insane.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom