Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Generation Xth: Code Hazard v0.99 FULL VERSION ENGLISH PATCH W/ ENGLISH MANUAL!!!

coffeecold

Novice
that way you guys can upload the same .zips to other places and we can keep these games alive. right now i think i am probably 1 out of like 10 ppl outside of japan with the wizardry chronicle game .zip safely stored, same witht he wizardry empire game .zips. this is a crime against humanity!

so while simultaneously sharing the .zips with you guys i would i appreciate it if you also upload them to firedrop or dropbox to help keep access to these games.

I will gladly help keep these .zips archived safe and secure for the future of dungeon crawling.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So this is the game that finally gets me to /delurk!

Can you send me a lnik as well please aweigh? I went looking for an iso of this ages ago and pretty much gave up and starting playing Class of Heroes on PPSSPP, but still interested in checking it out.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Class of Heroes 2 is alright tho. Not near the top 20, but you could do worse.

You could be playing Unchained Blades.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i agree. i played it before playing the 1st one and they are VERY different. CoH 1 is a straight up "re-skin" (or so they claim) of wizardry xth: unlimited students complete with featuring the exact "procedurally generated maps". well they're not procedural; in CoH 1 whenever you enter a dungeon there is a "list" from which a layout is picked, and i don't know if that layout is set in stone and it's a list or if it's just guidelines and the game does generate it: all i know is it features some hilariously badly designed dungeons :D

however that said coh 1 adheres way, way, WAY closer to the Wizardry canon than its sequels. vancian spell casting, lower hit points, bigger damage, huge focus on fighting/disarming chest/usually it explodes and you get party wiped half the time and its "dungeons" (they're so bad...) are at least entertaining? every single one of these generated dungeons is filled to the fucking absolutely brim with i guess procedurally generated dark zones, damage tiles, one way doors, chutes, SHOOTS, ladders, spiiners, and conveyer belts.

you literally can't walk one hallway without some bullshit lol

so yeha although coh 2 is objectively better i found coh 1 just entertained me more mostly because i died a lot.

EDIT: however switching gears to pure graphics whore-dom have you seen the ps3-only class of hereos 2g? woooow does 720 make coh art look insanely good.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
CoH2G_008.png

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Mind sharing me the link aweigh?
I am still testing the water as far as blobber goes but I do not want to miss a game I will possibly like to play in the future :)

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, without wishing to derail this thread into Class of Heroes, I enjoyed it enough to play it for 80 hours and finish all the post game content! Although the dungeons were pretty crappy, the character development and the multi classing was good, plus (and I realise I'm probably in a minority in this), I enjoyed the alchemy system. It was nice to be able to develop your gear and there was a large amount of stuff to find and create.

The main reason I put so much time into it though was PPSSPP on Android. It was massively handy to be able to pick my phone up and chill out for 20 minutes or so blobbing, before save stating it in an instant ready for later. Yeah, yeah, filthy casual and all that, but blobbers lend themselves well to quick bursts of play imo. Don't think my phone can handle the larger areas of CoH2 though, it's lagging a bit annoyingly in the first zone.

But back onto topic, major brofists for aweigh for your PM's and I hope Generation XTH is worth a play through. Wizardry mixed in with Persona style is what I'm thinking, preferably better than SMT:SJ, that I got bored of halfway through.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i actually never bothered to read most of the dialog in generation xth lol but yes it features solid dungeons (the first few being the best, and babel tower is quite the crazy place) and btw, do you know what AutoHotkey is?

since the controls for the game are so crazy and can't be remapped i made an AH script for it that remaks movement to WASD + Q/E for cycling menus + C for "Camp" Menu + F/R/Spacebar do misc. stuff. the default controls are a crime against humanity.

AHK file (just install AutoHotkey then just double-click this file and it works automatically): https://firedrop.com/17a7ff5e987980bc

Emmanuel2

Savant
Oh well, I guess this is the game that /delurks me aswell.

Is the link still up? I'd love to get a chance to play the game since I heard that the . I'm still playing through Elminage Gothic (loving it after giving it another chance thanks to aweigh's review) and The Dark Spire but having more options is always good.

This genre is giving me the right amount of difficulty and technical/combat depth without all the story foolery that I've been looking for in RPGs.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, so first impressions are pretty much as you describe, this is the worst control scheme I think I've ever seen. However, being a true codexer I of course have a controller I can use and this makes the whole thing a lot easier to figure out.
:martini:

Second impressions are "WTF are these weird names for the classes?", closely followed by "so I can make a neutral ninja?". Apart from that it looks like it's pretty much familiar territory if you've just spent 80 hours on Class of Heroes. All the usual classes are there, (alchemist apart and identify given to the scout class wtf?), and there's plenty of crafting that looks like it follows the same lines as CoH.

Done the first little quest and now exploring the first newbie dungeon, looks promising so far. Going to make this my main game I think, with maybe a bit of PPSSPP Class of Heroes 2 on the side.

One question though- are we sure it can all be completed? i read on an old post by Zetor it always crashed at the last post game mission, was that ever fixed? I think I'd be triggered big style if I got all the way to that point and couldn't finish it.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
YEAH Even they had to admit they came up with new names for THE SAME CLASSES AS ALWAYS a little too much.

go ahead and press F6 in-game: brings up a menu that quickly shows what class is what blood type and stuff.

very handy. other than that they got the important stuff right; party building/dungeons/itemization... etc.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Shackleton

i didn't finish it and he may be referring to the final post game dungeon/mission which i never did. i only beat the final story-line boss and called it a day.

EDIT: the commpaby who made Generation XTH series (and is now releasing currently Stranger of Sword City) is called Experience Inc, and Experience Inc's in-house studio is called Team Muramasa.

Team Muramasa is made up of a ton of people who used to work in a studio called Michaelsoft who made the Wizardry XTH series for PS2. When Michaelsoft went under half the people went and formed Muramasa and the other half formed ZeroDiv, the company behind Class of Heroes.

should start making lots of sense right about now :)

Zetor

Arcane
Yea, the end boss in the last postgame mission does cause a crash... though honestly some of the postgame can get so grindy (hi2u babel keys) that I can understand people finishing the main quest and calling it a day. AFAIK you get the endsequence and credits at that point anyway, the postgame just gives you a "well done" message or sommat.

Of course things would be different if the other games in the series were translated as well, since you can transfer your party and you unlock a rather fanservicey class in the postgame itself... (that one is an earlier postgame mission and can be completed without probs)

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Wow, this thread is really bringing us out the woodwork! I just wish there was enough of us to bring about a western blobber revival!

God, I hope Stranger of Sword city does get a PC release and it sells well enough to convince Team Murumasa it's worth releasing more stuff over here.

Really enjoying this still, looking forward to firing it up and exploring a bit more every time I get half an hour. Not quite got the hang of the element based stuff on the weapons, attacks seem to either do 1 damage or 50+. My samurai is tearing stuff up, but the ninja just hit level 6 and is so far disappointing. The skill description is a bit ambiguous, should he be unarmed to gain increased critical, or are weapons from the 'fist' category ok? He's really not worth his weight so far, not seen him instant kill anything despite quite high luck and agility.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Shackleton

yeah i found the best way was to spread the elemental/biological attributes around: and if you have a samurai then by all means make one sword completely different from the other.

i ended up using 2 sams, 1 lord, 1 sage (hacker, whatever), 1 cleric and 1 mage.

i only did 3 class changes: originally my cleric was a mage, and originally my mage was a cleric; and 1 of my samurai was originally a fighter. didn't do any other changes.

the two samurai both had 4 swords with 4 completely different "sets" of properties, then the lord was using a 2-Handed hammer specc'd to kill Machines, then the sage/joshua would usually cast a buffing spell and the mage/cleric would do their thing.

as for the ninja i really couldn't say but the archer class wrecks shit up from the back row very well. i was considering changing my mage (previously a cleric) into an archer but i ended up clearing almost all of the content by then except for the very last post game dungeon and kind of lost interest. the great thing is in this game the only required class is the sage/joshua for lock-picking AND he does double-duty as item identifier: in the usual Wiz-clone you're required to drag around a useless identifier and an almost-useless lock-picker.

Last edited:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
So I just cleared the main game, have to say a little disappointed so far. The lvl 15 cap should have given me a clue, but I wasn't expecting it to be so short. I'm sure there's a load of post game that I'll start on now, but I think I've been spoiled by Elminage Gothic when it comes to blobbers. The few dungeons in Gen XTH so far are decent enough, just a bit small. Not a massive fan of the irregular layouts either, I do like my square grids.

Class wise, I beat it with one Lord, one Sam, Cleric, Ninja, Mage and Scholar. The Ninja started pulling his weight as soon as he gets the 'assassinate: speed' skill that functions just like the Thief's sneak attack in the other wiz-clones, except without needing to hide first. Hitting any enemy with a nuke from the back row is as useful as ever. The Lord for his Aegis skill and the Sam for pure DPS. Probably didn't build her right, but my Scholar was dead weight in combat, hitting for 1 and doing the odd pointless mob fear/sleep etc.

Time to start on the post game and see if it can hold my attention, but as I just picked up MM7 from GOG for pennies, it might not do!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Shackleton

well then, don't sweat it too much; remember it is part 1 of a 3 part series. unfortunately parts 2 and 3 are not in english. they eventually released a remake of all 3 parts packaged as one game called "operation neo tokyo" or something for the VITA with redone graphics and all that jazz.

you have the wrong attitude :) :) now it is a very happy moment for you can now... play the NEXT AWESOME AND EVEN BETTER THAN GENXTH WIZ-CLONE DUNGEON CRAWLER OMGGMGMG!?!?!?!#@GM<GM

your choices are, but are not limited to! (asterisks/# of "stars" next to the game denote my personal opinion on how much you should drop everything you're doing right this second and play that game: 5 asterisks mean i consider it a motherfucking LIFE PRIORITY to play it)

- elminage: original (psp/localized officially into english) ****
- elminage: gothic (windows PC/localized officially into english) *****
- wizardry empire 2: legacy of the princess (windows PC/fan-translation by your fellow codexers) *****
- the dark spire (nintendo ds/localized officially into english) ***
- paper sorcerer (windows PC/native english) ***

with the exception of paper sorcerer every single one of those is much, MUCH more hardcore than GENxth. I consider wiz-empire 2 to feature some of the most diabolical and intelligently designed puzzle-dungeons ever

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Well out those, I've already played Elminage: Gothic (awesome game and the one that immersed me in blobbers after dabbling with MMX and Grimrock *cough*), Dark Spire, (DraStic updated and I lost the map progress so never quite got back into it yet) and Paper Sorceror, (very simple and clearly a low budget indie, but quite charming all the same). In the indie scene, I much preferred Charles' Sword and Sorcery Underworld to Paper Sorceror tbh.

So I guess it's either Elminage original or Wiz Empire 2. I've got Empire 2 installed already and fired it up to ensure it works, but in all honesty I was waiting for the translation patch to update as the 'Spell descriptions- 25% and 'Item descriptions- 0%' are putting me off slightly. Probably shouldn't let it bother me as I'm pretty sure I'll know the spells and if the stats on the items are ok, that's all that really matters.

I know it's not really a true grid blobber, but MM7 is calling me for a blind play. I spoiled MM6 by starting to look at walkthroughs about halfway through and that killed it for me, but I'm determined not to make that mistake again. Whatever, time to branch out from this thread and either /relurk or start posting elsewhere. At least, until I've played through the post game content for GenXTH and have some more comments on that.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
you know what you're in luck; i've been waiting for richard to finish up the wizardry empire 2 translation but he is really busy with work/schooling/life; so i'm going to finish it for him. i'm basically sidelined for the moment as (i assume it is Helly) the game script for wiz-empire 1 is being translated so i have basically translated every possible thing in wiz-empire 1 except for the npc dialog; and just to amuse myself i've even translated the town npc's greetings and such. so while that game script is being translated i don't really have anything left to do on wiz-empire 1 which is why i've already begun translating all of the items/spells/menus/locations/enemies/etc in wiz-empire 3 (three!) for the PSP. i want us to have translated the entire fucking trilogy, hehe.

so i'll stop that for a bit and finish whatever's still needed on the wiz-empire 2 game. the good thing is that the series of these 3 wizardry games all use almost identical file structuring and assets and even code so finding my way around any of the three titles now is a breeze. i'll post the finished update on wiz-emp 2 soon...

edit: i should go ahead and do what i did for wiz-empire 1 and convert all of the romaji spell names into their proper wizardry spell name counterparts. no more "mappiku"; it's fucking DUMAPIC you heathens! this way all 3 games will have consistency.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i also poor-begged dorarnae to literally just send me a copy of his japanese version of the crawler stranger of sword city because i want to translate that one next. the game has an english script (it was localized for xbone) so i can google that and use it to translate the story/dialog. (obviously along w/ everything else)

you'd be amazed how hard it has proven to find a working jap torrent of that crawler.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom