Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Generation Xth: Code Hazard v0.99 FULL VERSION ENGLISH PATCH W/ ENGLISH MANUAL!!!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
MrRichard999

so i just translated riddle #50, here's an excerpt:

A grinning face springs out from nowhere....  
mood =mood 
doom=fate 
pot =pot 
top=top
god=god dog=dog  
chip =tip 
pit=hole
Note:pool =pool 
loop=wheel
The 1st 50 questions/answers...
dog DOG dog dog
E(mood fate )D(pot top )C(god _____ )B(chip hole )A (pool wheel)
Find the law, fill in the blank. The law is common to all groups of A and E.

and frankly i want to shoot myself. dude, do you realize there are FORTY FUCKING NINE MORE LAME RIDDLES TO GO?

i'm gonna be 100% real right now. Include the riddle answers w/ the patch download and call it a day. Life is too short. I just spent over 45 minutes on that piece of text above just wrangling it into shape. fuck the riddles. i absolutely love the game and i used a cheat-sheet with all of the 50 answers and it did not dimish my enjoyment of this fantastic crawler/wizardry game whatsoever.

the amount of text in those remaining 49 riddles (and the time it will take formatting each one as they are displayed very weirdly) is basically the equivalent length of time one would spend _actually translating_ a game.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Hello Codex, this is a wonderful game. Unfortunately I'm dumb and stuck. I'm on the "Stolen Code Salvage" mission.

Alice says: "Head to the Hinowa Abyss and the only access is through the bottom of the the "Students Passage"."
I found the Thread Portal to Hinowa Abyss Area M and all that's left unexplored is a path leading down seemingly forever.

I put a knife under the + key from the Num pad to keep the Enter key pressed and took my dogs for a walk.
About an hour later they had gained a level but still no end. Is my game bugged or can I be helped ?

H-K

Learned
Hello Codex, this is a wonderful game. Unfortunately I'm dumb and stuck. I'm on the "Stolen Code Salvage" mission.

Alice says: "Head to the Hinowa Abyss and the only access is through the bottom of the the "Students Passage"."
I found the Thread Portal to Hinowa Abyss Area M and all that's left unexplored is a path leading down seemingly forever.

I put a knife under the + key from the Num pad to keep the Enter key pressed and took my dogs for a walk.
About an hour later they had gained a level but still no end. Is my game bugged or can I be helped ?

There are warp stuffies in that corridor so continuously walking south will just take you in circles.

Map and coordinates for warp points from the PSV port in spoilers:
8f929ba19dae35a1.jpg
Warp points:
(X11,Y15)→(X11,Y5)、(X11,Y3)→(X11,Y17)、(X11,Y7)→(X11,Y13)
(X11,Y11)→(X11,Y9)

Last edited:

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Thank you so very much.

I'm playing the translated game, but the config is still with japanese symbols, so I couldn't rebind the keys or change to fullscreen (I've put the font in the windows font folder). Also there are glitches with the display of weapons, while armors and head gear are okay.

Is this a screenshot you took yourself or is it from a website I like to know, because I have the feeling this won't be the last time i get stuck.

Whoever was responsible for translating the game: 1000 thanks. I'm having a blast. I guess the translations for the other 2 games are not going to happen anytime soon ?

Last edited:

H-K

Learned
Thank you so very much.

I'm playing the translated game, but the config is still with japanese symbols, so I couldn't rebind the keys or change to fullscreen (I've put the font in the windows font folder). Also there are glitches with the display of weapons, while armors and head gear are okay.

Is this a screenshot you took yourself or is it from a website I like to know, because I have the feeling this won't be the last time i get stuck.

Whoever was responsible for translating the game: 1000 thanks. I'm having a blast. I guess the translations for the other 2 games are not going to happen anytime soon ?
It's from this wiki: http://seesaawiki.jp/opabyss/

And here are a translation for the config:
lAE8oqh.png

1: Fullscreenmode
2: Show FPS
3: Something about "sound memory"
4: Gamepad Config
5: Save path
6: OK
7: Cancel

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
hmm i've never hex edited something like a config program. i wonder if each of the japanese characters is code... that would mean the config.exe program would crash if you change the japanese chars. it would require reorganizing every pointer on everything. would make for a fun learning experiment.

the guys who did GEN XTH: code hazard didn't translate the config. exe so i assume i gotta be right, that each japanese char is code. i mean, they did the entire game why else wouldn't they also do the config menu, right?

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Miner, something must be different with your version than the version I got from aweigh. Here's my config if I run it:

CejLkpI.jpg

Fully translated. The only thing that wasn't 100% done in my game was the team name had some japanese symbols after it I couldn't get rid of, everything else was translated fine. I didn't get a bug with weapons either, (although I suspect what you're thinking of isn't a bug, it's that the weapon only displays in the right hand which is hidden behind text unless you press they key to hide it on the char screen.)

Edit- sent Miner a link to your Firedrop DL aweigh.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
no prob. i'm actually more worried that i completely forgot they DID translate the config.exe. Heh. Its prolly because i've been poking around gen xth 2 for a few days now and my head was thinking "gen xth = jap".

i haven't posted anything about it because there's nothing really to post. it's 100% translatable and i've already done like half of the items just for "fun", but without a human translation of its script there's really zero point in doing real work on gen xth 2 (and 3, i also downloaded the 3rd one). unlike wizardry series or even elminage, which does have a very high amount of npc dialog; the gen xth games actually ARE about story (the quality of its storytelling notwithstanding of course, keke) and it builds up characters for storytelling purposes and not just to hand you a quest (like in elminage, and then you never see them again, and also they are optional, which is why i can elminage in japanese just fine).

Miner 2049er

Scholar
Thanks Shacky and you're right with your suspection. Yesterday I discovered the hide-ui-key (in the items menu) and without keeping it pressed you can only see empty (left) hands, shields or sub-weapons. Anyway...good job Sherlock.

aweigh, can you guess why there is no interest in doing a "human translation of its script" ?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
because the gen xth games are competent crawlers but by no means "classics" and their storyline is so dumb i could just as well translate every dialog to ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP in every single dialog box and release the patch and no one would complain because who cares?

DRPG4Life

Barely Literate
Hello RPG experts! I need some help with the WIZ Org Observation post-game mission. Where exactly do I find the "Power Key" or how do I power up the central portion of Kagurawa? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

newtmonkey

Arcane
aweigh
I was reading this topic today cuz I had tried Operation Abyss on Steam, could not stand the story and weird ass class names, and refunded it. Then I read this and noticed that you made the same complaints.

I actually do have the Generation Xth trilogy rereleast on DVD, which I bought, I dunno, 1-2 years ago? And completely forgot about haha.
I installed it just now, and found the story/dialog to be awful, but not as intolerable as Operation Abyss (in other words, OA is EVEN WORSE).

I'm still annoyed that they would basically take all the classic classes that have been in RPGs for 40 FUCKING YEARS and go "well, in THIS game we don't have KNIGHTS we have AMATERASU BLOODLINES" or whatever. WTF. It's like some pen and paper RPG you would find at your local shop in the 80s, where the ELF MAGIC USER is instead the BLOOD TRIBE ANCIENT WOGWEAVER. Who the fuck understands this stuff? It's not even a Japanese thing, I can guarantee no Japanese person would see the names of the "classes" in the Generation Xth games and think "Oh, this is a tank class" or "oh, this class would be good for magic." Totally retarded.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
yes, the second game (which contains the 3rd chapter, which is a in terms of size and scope the same size or even bigger than chapters 1 and 2 combined) re-introduces into the remakes the ability to legitimately multi-class, and the dungeon design remains acceptable, ranging from average to hey-this-ain't-bad.

the underlying problems newtmonkey and myself and i imagine, many others have with Gen XTH and its remakes remains and is further exacerbated in the remakes and we all know i'm referring to the reams of unskippable dialog/cutscenes of endlessly droning exposition that feels like its punishing you for attempting to play the game, along with the undecipherable blood codes and all the broken class balance (6 samurais is still the best party for any Gen Xth game which is so bad it's laughable) and all the other shit we've complained about.

NINJA EDIT: yes I know technically every cutscene is skippable but it only skips one "scene", not the cutscene entirely, so you end up having to mash ESCAPE or whatever throughout the entire fucking sequence which still wastes your time immensely.

I fucking love crawlers to death, especially Wiz-clones more than anything else and I think there really isn't any need to ever deviate too far from the traditional Wiz-blueprint, but I find the Gen XTH games with their endless tedious crafting and shit balance for both items, classes and enemies and inconsistent quality of dungeons to be too much to overcome to justify the amount of hours necessary to finish them.

they are... functional, most definitely; i would go as far as to say that they are exceedingly competent, but ultimately simply not enjoyable. I would much rather replay an Elminage game for the 15th time than play through a Gen XTH game, although they are competent enough that they can be saved for a "rainy day" situation if/when you absolutely have nothing else to play and need to play a Wiz-clone.

(something that can't be said for other crawlers that are simply flat-out bad).

Like I've mentioned in every single other thread/moment that Exp Inc games are mentioned: First, go play all the Elminage games you can play (specifically E: Original and E: Gothic, as games 2 and 3 are just expansion packs for E: Original with zero change in game play), then go play all the Wizardry scenarios, obviously including the japanese Wizardry games from the Empire and Gaiden series that have been translated or have Eng. Lang. options (Empire 2, Gaiden 1-4 and Gaiden 6 basically)...

...then after going thru all that or in-between them whatever, go play Stranger of Sword City which is Exp Inc's only legitimately good game, a game I thoroughly enjoyed and played thru twice (though the 2nd time I didn't bother finishing it to completion). I hear Exp Inc's demon Gaze games for VITA are also good, but I haven't played them yet due to lack of VITA but eventually will play them.

THEN (!), and only then (!!!) go play all other Wiz-clones, like Class of Heroes 1 and 2 (which I enjoyed, though have never bothered finishing either game nor ever will finish them), Beyond The Labyrinth for 3ds, the labyrinth of touhou games (though I don't really like those games too much since they play more like SRPGs than anything else and operate under a top-down view which I disliked), the Bard's Tale games, the Might and Magic games (the good ones only, please), etc, etc, etc....

EDIT: Obviously this play-list is meant to be humorous and not some sort of serious statement on my behalf, as personal tastes should differ between everybody, and frankly speaking sometimes you just get sick of playing a 'crawler and want to play something else.

There are a lot more japanese "DRPGs" than I've ever even managed to bother viewing on youtube and games that play like a Wiz-clone but are not and are instead their own thing though obviously inspired by them.

There are indie crawlers in the truest sense of the word like Lord of Seal which was "reviewed" in a thread by Shackleton a while ago and is like, 2 bucks on steam. There are other indie crawlers that are of a bit higher production quality available as well like the amazing Paper Sorcerer, which is also on STEAM and one of my favorite RPG experiences in years due to its graphics, music, story, play mechanics and overall design.

The main problem is finding these games. A lot of them are "DRPGs" from japan, with the majority of these featuring solid Wizardry-style play mechanics with anime aesthetic to varying degrees, with Elminage: Gothic being the absolute best of the best and featuring Western-inspired art for the most part instead of straight-anime.

Then you have the uber-underground gems like Paper Sorcerer and Lord of Seal that frankly you'd probably never even hear about unless from a thread on a fan-site/forum like the Codex is for RPGs (where even then it is extremely niche even within the niche).

And lastly we have series of games like for example the SMT series which are 100% Wizardry-inspired but are 100% their own thing, with the earlier titles in the series (such as the recently released remake of SMT: Soul Hackers for 3DS) featuring straight-up 1st person Wiz-style dungeon crawling with proper dungeons and all the accompanying bells and whistles.

Anyway don't really have any point to end this with just wanted to, once again, try in my own small way to shed light on the existence of proper turn-based dungeon crawlers. I'm like one of those people who desperately wants to save souls and will go knock on doors, and if 1000 people dismiss the games I talk about but at least one person manages to discover the absolute joy tha Wizardry and the legacy of games that Wizardry has helped nourish throughout the years then It was worth it.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Started out playing Generation Xth Code Hazard, which I had bought probably years ago, but never even installed.

When I am looking at a piece of equipment, it lists compatibility with... ugh... "blood codes," but it lists them like B01 B02 B03. Am I overlooking or missing something? Are you seriously supposed to just remember the classes in some arbitrary order to determine if they can equip something?

[Edit] Oh, you can press "sub 3" to get an onscreen list showing you what each of those BXX things mean.

How fucking retarded is this "blood code" system? The game right out tells you what each "blood code" means when you make characters (it literally says USHIWAKA on the left side of the screen and then "FIGHTER" over on the right), but because it insists on these weird ass class names, it can't just say "FIG" "WIZ" "THI" "NIN" etc in the equipment stats, so it's gotta include a fucking legend on a dedicated button to explain to you that B01 is USHIWAKA (which btw just is a FIGHTER).

[Edit 2] Did that spider girl just throw her tits at me :O

[Edit 3]
Okay, put a few hours into this.
There are a TON of things to dislike about this game.
1) Level limits on equipment. WTF purpose does this have? I open a chest SORRY CODEWHATEVER, and I get a PSYCHO DAGGER which is a huge improvement over the lame starting equipment. Only... I need to gain 3 more levels to even equip it. So why even give me it ffs? If you are gonna assign levels to shit, might as well go full retard and level scale the full game.

2) The dialog and exposition.

3) The balance. I am having a harder time with this game than with Elminage Original or even Wizardry 1. It's pretty linear, since dungeons seem to be unlocked through missions (i.e. story progression), so after 4 hours or so I have 2 dungeons unlocked, one of which is 100% explored (as of now). I'm supposed to head downstairs at that first dungeon according to the story, but the enemies there are nuts and can kill my front row fighters in 1-2 hits. The game helpfully tells me to gain levels if things seem too hard. Am I really supposed to just go around gaining levels at this point? The mission difficulty suddenly jumped from 1 star to 4, so I dunno.

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
After rereading this thread, I feel like I am missing something. AM I RETARDED

Did anyone else notice the HUGE spike in difficulty between missions, where it literally goes from 1/2 stars to 5 (the mission to investigate high school girl serial murder)??? I was checking Japanese sites online, and judging by screenshots, people seem to be around level 5 for this quest. How???? I fought every battle I came across so far, and just barely got to level 2. Are you supposed to just build levels up?

Dorarnae

Arbiter
After rereading this thread, I feel like I am missing something. AM I RETARDED

Did anyone else notice the HUGE spike in difficulty between missions, where it literally goes from 1/2 stars to 5 (the mission to investigate high school girl serial murder)??? I was checking Japanese sites online, and judging by screenshots, people seem to be around level 5 for this quest. How???? I fought every battle I came across so far, and just barely got to level 2. Are you supposed to just build levels up?

grind a bit I guess. you finish the first game at about lvl 13-15 (actually 15 is the cap for the first game I think).
I haven't played those for quite a while. but if you hate the crafting system ect. then surely don't get wizardry xth and xth2, because it's similar hehe.

newtmonkey

Arcane
AM I RETARDED

... yes I am :negative:

I just had a bad run of luck exploring the next floor of that building, and assumed that all the encounters would be as hard. Actually, standard encounters there are no more difficult than those on the previous floor...

if you hate the crafting system ect. then surely don't get wizardry xth and xth2, because it's similar hehe.

Too late! I bought the disc that has all three games on it, so I am in for the long haul I guess. ;)

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
I have put some serious time into this, and generally like it now. I find the dungeons to have some fun gimmicks (I like the sewers where you need to cast the float spell to get anywhere, but are forced to hit several dispell spaces along a path to unlock a door), and I like that they aren't as linear as the starting dungeons in SoSC (which I find to be boring yet annoying to navigate).

The dialog is still stupid. I typically will read the first couple of text boxes just so I know what is going on in the story and get my mission objective, and then skip the rest because it is generally some lameass stuff with a bunch of "comic-relief" characters.

I thought I would absolutely hate the crafting system, but it turns out I enjoy it in small doses. I went and bought all the crafting recipes straight away, and I will just explore a dungeon, come back to rest, and see if I can make anything interesting with the materials I collected.
Having said that, they should have just used the traditional Wizardry area-based loot system that aweigh (correctly) praises. It's annoying to win a tough battle, open a chest, and get like JUNK DAGGER and METAL I. You do find some equipment now and then, but more often than not it is cursed or way worse than what you already have.

The game starts out hard, and it might get hard again later, but from character levels 2-5 it has been a cakewalk. I am literally just holding down CONFIRM on my joypad for all battles at this point. When I get to what I think is a boss, I try to buff/debuff, but then he sits there doing 1-2 damage per attack so there is no point. There was one tough boss encounter against two groups of enemies in a row, but I even got through that with no one dead, so dunno how I feel about combat at this point.

On top of that, the art for the enemies is pretty much 100% awful. I really dunno what they were thinking. I mean, the art is technically good... but what the fuck are these enemies? 99% of them are monster heads stuck on schoolgirls or whatever. I understand why, but it just looks retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom