Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Genre defining RPGs 2005-2012

RandomAccount

I'm not one to mince words, so I'll try to explain this thread as succinctly as possible.

For the period 1990-2004 us RPG fans had a pretty good idea of what to expect from an RPG game and the niche itself had a fair few titles which endeavored to guarantee a continuous supply of what we liked:

Might and Magic
Ultima
Wizardry
Diablo
Infinity Engine games
Neverwinter and it's mods
etc etc etc

Then came 2005. Between 2005 and 2012 all of our favorite titles had vanished (excluding a rather lackluster and odd NWN 2 - debatable etc). There was suddenly a huge void. We had no auto-go-to title that easily represented our genre. Suddenly we became critical travelers instead of title fanboys.

With the resulting mess of the initial Diablo III release (auction-house), the utter incompetence of Dragon Age II and the furor surrounding the Mass Effect III ending around 2012, it seemed like a sort of RPG cataclysm had finally come home to roost. Not only did the players no longer have a clue what was going on, it seemed like the creators themselves had completely lost the plot from so many years wandering the wilderness.

Thankfully, it seems we have now entered a whole new era and 2013/14 has not only re-established some of the old names but it's also produced some really great titles to get behind.

And I think it's now time to recognise that 2005-2012 is it's own 'era' for RPGs. But what were the defining titles of that era? Which games will you thread about in 5/10 years time lamenting the passing of for this era? Which titles will one day become the 'they don't make'em like that anymore, sadface' for the 2005-2012 era?

I would make this a poll, but I have no idea what modern RPGers define as their 'core' titles, or even if there are any core titles for this period. So, prior to a potential poll:

Please illuminate us as to the defining, standard setting RPGs, for the period 2005-2012. Which titles - for you - defined you as an RPGer and won the title of 'industry standard' for this period?

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Don't even get me started.
2005-2012 were horrible.
Decent games? The Witcher(1 and 2), Fallout: New Vegas, Human Revolution, NWN2/expansions, Inquisitor. I guess we can find more but most of them weren't really great.
Nope, Alpha Protocol simply has too many flaws to be on that list.

The best, and most importantly - very unconventional RPG released in these years was Mount and Blade.

However the "industry standard" title belongs to Mass Effect, Oblivion/FO3 and WoW as these games had extremely big influence on the market for a while. Note that some of decent/good games I've mentioned fall into that standard, so it's not like you simply can't make something good out of it.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The years between 2005 and 2012 were completely shit for RPGs

The genre in this period is well defined by two games; Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 2. They exemplify everything that was wrong with RPGs of the era, and mirror the general :decline: of civilization.

Athelas

Arcane
I don't think 'genre defining RPG' is synonymous with 'good RPG' (more the opposite, in fact).

Deleted member 7219

Well, most gaming sites and game journos will tell you that Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Dark Souls are the best RPGs of the past decade. We know they're talking shit.

My picks for 5 best RPGs since 2005:

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords (PC version released in 2005)
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
The Witcher
The Witcher 2
Fallout New Vegas

My early picks for 2013+

Age of Decadence
Wasteland 2 (playing through it now)
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Pillars of Eternity
Dead State (hopefully)
The Witcher 3

We've got a lot of good stuff coming up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigranes

Arcane
Genre defining for 2005-2012 is Oblivion, Mass Effect. Hence many butts were hurt.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Geneforge 5: Showed how to do Choice and Consequences right, along with how to end an RPG series on a proper note.
Demon Souls: I don't normally enjoy online play in my CRPGs, but this game is perfect for me in this regard. Just enough online 'help' to make things interesting by watching how other players are winning and dying, but not so much that it is intrusive on my own experience.
Knights of the Chalice: A d20 Fantasy CRPG made by a previously unknown single indie developer. This game helped promote that indie devs not named Jeff Vogel could be successful.
Alpha Protocol: Despite its flaws, this game made me feel as if I was playing in a Mission Impossible movie. It helped break the fantasy leaning of CRPGs.
Mount and Blade: This one I have yet to play, but I've heard good things. Is this the first modern action CRPG where you run a military band? Is there anything else like it out there?

pippin

Mount and Blade: This one I have yet to play, but I've heard good things. Is this the first modern action CRPG where you run a military band? Is there anything else like it out there?

It's some sort of "spiritual successor" to Darklands, in the sense that you create a character (and later a party via hired heroes and soldiers) and start your own adventures. You can be whatever you like, from a bandit to the emperor of the land. Warband is more complete in terms of content (introduces some social aspects to gameplay, like political marriage, etc), but it's more or less the same game with multiplayer mode, which is 100% combat. It has a huge modding community if you get bored of vanilla.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Not really, some point to similarities in classics such as Sid Meier’s Pirates! and Darklands, but Warband goes far beyond these. Others point to Chivalry and Med2: Total War, but the former is for online dueling and the latter neither lets you directly control a hero on the battlefield or in siege warfare, nor does it have a companion system with inter-party conflicts or character builds. There's nothing quite like Warband, it stands alone. And with mods like Prophecy of Pendor, nothing gets near it.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It's some sort of "spiritual successor" to Darklands, in the sense that you create a character (and later a party via hired heroes and soldiers) and start your own adventures. You can be whatever you like, from a bandit to the emperor of the land. Warband is more complete in terms of content (introduces some social aspects to gameplay, like political marriage, etc), but it's more or less the same game with multiplayer mode, which is 100% combat. It has a huge modding community if you get bored of vanilla.
Far as I can tell Kenshi's about the only other game running with a similar concept, but it's vaporware right now.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
" punching people in the face is "Genre Defining" for an RPG? "

Yes. Best part of RPGs is punching the shit out of people you loathe. Very satsifying. Worthy entertainment.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yes. Best part of RPGs is punching the shit out of people you loathe. Very satsifying. Worthy entertainment.
Grabbing collars is good too.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
1994-1995 is sometimes refered to as the "Dark Ages" of CRPGs after the Golden Age of 1988-1993, and before the "Renaissance" of 1996-2001.
Maybe we should refer to 1994-1995 as the Little Dark Age and 2002-2012 as the Great Dark Age?

Anyway, as for defining games, I'm not sure. To me the whole age is defined by lack of good games, or rather interesting games, since I haven't really played many games from that era. Everything is either dumbed down and consolised, or with blown up budgets to make interactive movies.

Last edited:

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Genre defining for 2005-2012 is Oblivion, Mass Effect. Hence many butts were hurt.

Hiking mountains and punching people in the face is "Genre Defining" for an RPG?

I think he meant it as an unfortunate truth - meaning that Oblivion and Mass Effect were the definitive games that all other RPGs tried to imitate, and as a result everything went to shit.

If he meant that those games were in fact ideal games to represent the genre, that can only lead to one conclusion - my brofist was kidnapped.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Dumbed down from what? People great the games from the 80s and 90s which are the same handful almost always but ignore all the shit ones (because they were so terrible people forget them). Many of the mdoern games are 'smarted up' from older games in many ways.

Just compare the crap in the GB games compared to more DnD games like the IE, TOEE, or NWNs. The GB games - while most were fun at the time - are much more shallow. even their combat is largely limited in options. The advantage they have, though, is they don't hand hold as much. NWN is much more 'hardcore' and 'challenging' if you don't use the lame respawn or super portal stone (it be better if you would 'earn' it).

but, I'll take the character creation, C&C, and the stories of a NWN than the Gb games which again were fun when they were released. They would NOT be as fodnly liked if theyw ere released as is (with improved graphics) now even by their champions.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Not sure what you are on about, princess. The games you mention are not from the dumbing down era. And I agree the IE games were mostly an improvement on the GB games.

DemonKing

Arcane
Dragon Age II was awful but the original and its expansion were half-decent experiences. I also enjoyed the Witcher games and even the Mass Effect series had its moments (I still haven't finished off #3 though I do remember enjoying #1 and even #2 to a limited extent). The Original Legends of Grimrock came out in 2012 too I believe.

Of course, for some reason 2014 has really cast a shadow over this era by somehow managing to produce a host of games that not only pay homage to fondly remembered older titles but also expand on them. It's very refreshing to think of how many great and/or interesting CRPGs are coming out this year. Anyone who purchases DA3 this year on Day One and is disappointed just isn't looking hard enough at what else is out there IMO.

Cadmus

Arcane
Oh man, random account, you must be hating this place!!
I agree that the defining RPGs of this time are most likely the ones codex hates - mass effect, WoW, Oblivion, Fallout 3.These games raised a new generation of gamers on their shitty mechanics and horrible art direction, horrible hand holding and retarded writing. And the romances. These are what you get if you search mainstream sites for good RPGs from those years.

:kingcomrade:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Good RPGs and genre defining RPGs are diffident things. Maybe MOTB NV and Twitchers were good, but genre defining, as in offering something unique? I can only pic Demon Souls and Dark Souls.

Cadmus

Arcane
Good RPGs and genre defining RPGs are diffident things. Maybe MOTB NV and Twitchers were good, but genre defining, as in offering something unique? I can only pic Demon Souls and Dark Souls.
I'm not really aware of any game influenced by the DS games, other than the general public being a little more accepting of a higher difficulty in their aRPGs.
On the other side you got Fallout 3 and Mass Effect. Look how these games have influenced the gamers and games today. Companions are now worth their polygon count in gold. Nobody knows what Fallout 1 and 2 were.

RandomAccount

2001-2012 as the Great Dark Age?

It's a bit strange that you evaluate 2001 as the start date. Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines was 2004, Neverwinter Nights was still producing content until 2004 etc etc etc, I still see plenty of threads and posts relating to 'good ol' days' being 2001-2004. You personally might not like much 2001-2004 but it should be perfectly obvious that there was still plenty of genre defining games around those years.

This thread isn't about expressing hate for a period everybody already knows like the back of their hand and have repeated arguments about on a continuous basis, but trying to asses a period where the arguments and debates haven't seemed to produce anything concrete in the 'good ol' days' department. We know what the good ol' days were in 2001-2004, you obviously just don't agree. We need to find something concrete for 2005-2012 before we can even agree to disagree.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

I have to agree with this. Punching Leland in Alpha Protocol was one of my favorite moments in the game.

RandomAccount

Can you tumble them before punching them though?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom