Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Get rid of the Codex Steam Curation

Weasel
Still waiting for the codex to publish Hiver's review of WL2

Drama lovers. I've had to bulk order popcorn.

MV51PzI.gif

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Posting in soon to be epic thread.

:popcorn:

On topic: People following other people's advice when buying games, when torrents are available... :roll:

Fuck thepiratebay.
I don't need a site that gives me a Lolita complex when I just want to download something.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Even though the steam curator thing is useless and irrelevant to anyone but retards, someone (who is not the owner) using the site's brand to advertise their own opinion that goes contrary to the site's opinion is nothing more than a fraud.

A user named cat

The only solution is to put all Codex staff up for re-election and allow us to vote who stays and goes. Each staff member must also run a campaign and bribing for votes is allowed.

roshan

Arcane
You know this site has completely turned to shit when reviewers are apologizing for disliking a new Dragon Age game - in the review itself.

pippin

And lastly, Fuck Steam. I don't need to run a fucking middleware akin to a small operating system to run games.
Fuck GOG. I don't need them selling me decades-old abandonware and fan patches in order to profit some potatoes and greedy weasels to run games.

Fuck games. Who needs fun.

Also, Curators are only ok when they are made for fun. I don't take reviews seriously, even from the Codex.

What happened with the PoE reviews and which of the two was linked to the curator page is what finally convinced me the Codex I joined may really be on its way out (on a deeper level than the day-to-day /gd/ and lulz-decline silliness). It's just mystifying how the Codex let itself be self-censored, and yet that's the status quo now.

The Codex always was about a broad range of opinions, much of them nasty, with no apologetic smokescreen hiding the roughness of the criticism. This is the image we should project, if we project anything at all. If people can't handle the blunt honesty and, why not, edginess and trolling, they are welcome to get out. It's not like their dismissal of any criticism coming from here will do much to impact the RPG market.

Is it all the money we raise for established companies and all the nice interviews we get at conferences that ties us up to developers so tightly that we must then be careful with our opinions? Because they may hurt feelings? It all seemed innocent enough to me, but maybe that's how true decline begins; you get to know these people, and suddenly you can't tell things as they are anymore.

But this should not happened to the Codex. You know, there's already almost the entirety of the gaming press for that.

(Side note: this is not about my opinion on PoE, which I backed but will only play when the inevitable enhanced edition is out, and will likely enjoy.)

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
you put a jew in charge of it and they give him free stuff, the result is obvious

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It's like the scientists said at the start of Half Life 1:
"Why didn't you listen? I tried to warn you!"
"I never thought I'd see a Doritos™ cascade... Let alone create one!"

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Even though the steam curator thing is useless and irrelevant to anyone but retards, someone (who is not the owner) using the site's brand to advertise their own opinion that goes contrary to the site's opinion is nothing more than a fraud.

As much as I dislike Infis scheming and weaseling, since when is this site known to have a homogenus opinion across the board? Hell, since when is this a democracy?

Can people vote for certain posts appearing somewhere, can people of the codex have a say what gets posted on the codex twitter or facebook? I don't think so.

And that curator thing is a way to recommend games. Some people here hated PoE (Roxors review), some didn't. Why would you attach a review that trashes the game to a recommendation on steam?

Some passive aggressive posts and butthurt over this are pretty embarassing to read here tbh. Especiall from Sensuki.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

This. Which is why I unfollowed the RPG Codex curator recently.

If you look at the top curators on Steam, they're either individuals with good media exposure, or groups/organizations with reliable people curating on their behalf. Currently the RPG Codex is neither of these, so why support a broken system run by unreliable people?

spekkio

Arcane
TVO said:
Is it all the money we raise for established companies and all the nice interviews we get at conferences that ties us up to developers so tightly that we must then be careful with our opinions? Because they may hurt feelings? It all seemed innocent enough to me, but maybe that's how true decline begins; you get to know these people, and suddenly you can't tell things as they are anymore.

The moment I noticed that some mods fags created 'Dex pages on social media (failbook, twater), I was sure the site is gonna turn into shit at some point. LOL Codex was always shit.
With many Dexers being no more than a raging mindless fanboys / cocksuckers for some devs / studios (MCA and Ohshitian being the best examples), it's hard to imagine the situation when some mod criticizes the game created by a guy, whom she knows from social media / dex contests / developer sites / buttsex.
"Tehehe, new Ohshitian game isn't perfect, but I can't write it's shit, cuz that would hurt them feels of my good failbook friend, MCA-kun".

There's a difference between being a site about RPGs (writing articles and discussing them) and actively participating in the development process of such games (rising funds, creating a positive media buzz). IMO.
I know you fags want more Fallouts and Wizardries, but so far, after a lot of developer-oriented cocksucking, you got what? PoE and Wasteland 2? But hey, at least these have some unfunny 'Dex-related lore implemented, so it's awright.
IGN and Gayspot are at least less pathetic, doing what they do for money, not for free.

:roll:

As a judge / scientist / journalist / etc, you have two options: do your job without thinking about other people's opinions, or try to be liked by everyone.

hitler.jpg

Lord Andre

Arcane

As much as I dislike Infis scheming and weaseling, since when is this site known to have a homogenus opinion across the board? Hell, since when is this a democracy?

Can people vote for certain posts appearing somewhere, can people of the codex have a say what gets posted on the codex twitter or facebook? I don't think so.

And that curator thing is a way to recommend games. Some people here hated PoE (Roxors review), some didn't. Why would you attach a review that trashes the game to a recommendation on steam?

Some passive aggressive posts and butthurt over this are pretty embarassing to read here tbh. Especiall from Sensuki.

I imagine running a recommendation platform is not a cut and dry affair and there are often cases when the opinion on a game varies, sometimes even up to the point of radically divergent views. In reality - compromises must be made.

BUT there is a difference between an honest person trying to find the most balanced compromise/solution and someone pushing an agenda " 'Cause I said so, that's why! ". I'm sure you're smart enough to tell the difference.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

This. Which is why I unfollowed the RPG Codex curator recently.

If you look at the top curators on Steam, they're either individuals with good media exposure, or groups/organizations with reliable people curating on their behalf. Currently the RPG Codex is neither of these, so why support a broken system run by unreliable people?
It'd be worth supporting if it only highlighted gems. But now every big RPG release gets added in hope of gaining exposur eon their page and more curator subscribers. :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom