Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Get rid of the Codex Steam Curation

So, is the butthurt generated by people disliking Infinitron/Jaesun and looking for reasons to complain about them, or are they butthurt about the curation/reviews/thread moving, and pinning the blame on a single visible person for simplicity's sake? Seems a bit like a feedback loop to me, to be honest - it's a bit upsetting that DA:O is on the curator list, but when I consider that it's Infinitron that put it there, it becomes proof that Codex is selling out, and so forth. Whether it was actually him who did is is a secondary concern.

DA:O was ranked #33 on the Top 70 list, alongside Ultima 7.

:dance:

Unwanted

Fitz

Unwanted
I agree with the general sentiment wholeheartedly. I have no problem with games getting put up on the curator page without a general poll here because we typically agree on the same wavelength as to what games we ought to recommend. But with a controversial game like this, putting up only the positive review is tantamount to unethical behavior simply because the 'official' implies that most Codexians agree with whatever is put up their. In this case we clearly don't. I think Infinitron is great as a researcher and news poster, but with this he (and whoever else has access to the curator-ship) has crossed the line. Administrator intervention is necessary to preserve our integrity, such as it were and I am not kidding here.
I would. But I'm caught between the Codex' values of honesty, integrity and identity...

... and the sheer amount of butthurt Infinitron generates by promoting bad games on lol Steam.
So when will the official Kodex Kuratorship Kurate Hatred and Derpression Quest? When should I expect to see Gone Homo on there? Give me control of the curation and I will generate many more bum-blisters than a measly five pages worth.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Andhaira said:
I agree with the general sentiment wholeheartedly. I have no problem with games getting put up on the curator page without a general poll here because we typically agree on the same wavelength as to what games we ought to recommend. But with a controversial game like this, putting up only the positive review is tantamount to unethical behavior simply because the 'official' implies that most Codexians agree with whatever is put up their. In this case we clearly don't. I think Infinitron is great as a researcher and news poster, but with this he (and whoever else has access to the curator-ship) has crossed the line. Administrator intervention is necessary to preserve our integrity, such as it were and I am not kidding here.

DarkUnderlord Taluntain

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Andhaira said:

DarkUnderlord Taluntain
And if only there was a completed Legend of Grimrock Let's Play to give this opinion any weight.

Oh well.

I would. But I'm caught between the Codex' values of honesty, integrity and identity...

... and the sheer amount of butthurt Infinitron generates by promoting bad games on lol Steam.
So when will the official Kodex Kuratorship Kurate Hatred and Derpression Quest? When should I expect to see Gone Homo on there? Give me control of the curation and I will generate many more bum-blisters than a measly five pages worth.
Only true butthurt can be disguised as legit. Fake butthurt is like celebrating Christmas on Valentine's Day. Everybody knows you're a douche.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I really don't know why we even made the Curator page so complicated. It should have just held our top 72 CRPGs we put together more than a year ago, that also happen to be on sale via the Steam website. Then we could have added some more modern games in the future years in which we updated our 'greatest hits' list to include some of the more recent Kickstarter and indie successes, as few and far between as they may be. We have so many diverse opinions on this forum, that it's too easy to find a handful of Codexers who will push to add a mediocre CRPG to the Curator page.

Cadmus

Arcane
I always thought the point of the Codex Curator was to give some additional publicity to relatively unknown but good games which can vaguely be considered RPGs. Kind of how Neo Scavenger finishing high on our GotY list caused a whole bunch of people at NeoGAF to check it out, as they've never even heard of it.

As such, the priority should be putting games like Serpent in the Staglands (assuming it's good, haven't played it yet) up there, and not desperately waiting for a positive review in order to recommend PoE. Why in the world does the Codex need to recommend Invisible Inc anyway? Does Klei desperately need our support?

I do agree, generally speaking, that Infinitron has been shown to be too concerned about positive relations with developers, and should pass the curator torch to someone more universally respected. I nominate Angthoron, who is a true bro.
If you believe that is the case, putting some mainstream or semi-mainstream titles that are similar give a friendly "invite" to try the other games.

If you look at the list and you see some games you liked you are more likely to try the others than if you never heard of any of them.

I do agree with your goal however.

You can justify putting almost anything up there with that reasoning, though. I was fine with some "mainstream" games that appeared in the Codex Top70, but you need to think about giving the curator some kind of identity instead of just throwing things up there willy-nilly.

I always thought the point of the Codex Curator was to give some additional publicity to relatively unknown but good games which can vaguely be considered RPGs. Kind of how Neo Scavenger finishing high on our GotY list caused a whole bunch of people at NeoGAF to check it out, as they've never even heard of it.

As such, the priority should be putting games like Serpent in the Staglands (assuming it's good, haven't played it yet) up there, and not desperately waiting for a positive review in order to recommend PoE. Why in the world does the Codex need to recommend Invisible Inc anyway? Does Klei desperately need our support?

I do agree, generally speaking, that Infinitron has been shown to be too concerned about positive relations with developers, and should pass the curator torch to someone more universally respected. I nominate Angthoron, who is a true bro.

Serpent in the Staglands, added before it was even released on beta-tester tuluse's recommendation: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/rpg_codex/curation/app/335120/

Notice the lovely comments from supportive Codexers.

With everything I do with the curator, I first seek a degree of consensus. Look at the megathread of almost every game recently added, and you'll find me asking the crowd if it's worthy.

(Funnily enough, I was not the one who actually added Pillars of Eternity to the curator. I'm still not sure who did.)

CDS shitposting, who could have expected it? I do agree with them on one point, though, I'd feel uncomfortable recommending unreleased games, and would only do so in extremely clear-cut cases like Underrail.

For the record, I always appreciate people willing to put their own free time and effort into making this site better, yourself included. I'm saying this in hope that you won't take what I'm about to say as an attack on your character. To put it simply, you're currently too controversial of a figure to do this (apparently) rather delicate job. A lot of the criticism of what's on the curator list is actually criticism of you, by proxy, and would likely disappear if it were someone else doing it. The Codex Curator has the potential to be a force for (limited) good, and it'd be a shame to lose that because a bunch of people don't like you.

This sounds pretty stupid. It doesn't matter whether Infinitron is a controversial figure or not. The controversy itself is what affects the retarded plebians, it shouldn't affect people with 30 cm penises like us here. Only the facts should have any weight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom