Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Giving up on PC gaming

Grimlorn

Arcane
It looks like your INT stat is too low to be a member of a glorious PC master race. I've switched from XP x86 to Win7 x64 recently and encountered zero problems with running old games so far (tested ~20).
Re-roll with higher INT or buy a console.
No re-rolls in life.

Visbhume

Prophet
"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave pc gaming. No, Sir, when a man is tired of pc gaming, he is tired of life; for there is in the pc all that gaming can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
If tech issue is all there is that prevents you from PC Gaming then I suggest you downgrade to console gaming.
The real issue with PC gaming at the moment is the influx of casual games flooding the market, making it hard to distinguish between a hidden gem or indie trash.
AAAs are still the same, they don't change. Revival of old classics to paint it in Mt. Dew green, and sprinkled with Dorito salt are so commonplace. Hell, I kinda liked Deus Ex HR more than predecessor, but seeing as how they treat the franchise afterwards filled me with disappointment. IPad game to PC port? Really? Some dipshit did the opposite in Eidos, let's put Hitman on Mobile. That'll sell like hotcakes.

Or, take it from KOEI who used to make Turn-based game like Romance of Three Kingdoms series (Doesn't sound familiar? It requires more brain power than fucking Dynasty Warriors) and other stuff like Uncharted Waters that was actually a great exploration/trading/naval combat RPG - yet in 2014, they had to make a blogpost asking PC gamers what they wanted to be ported. Cuz we don't really know durrr. PC gamers are so complicated.

The hopeful wants the latest RTK or Nobunaga's Ambition, but hell no, we're not gonna have that, despite how logical it would be since they already have a PC Japanese version that only requires translators - no, Mountain Dewds want Dynasty Wankers. THE BEST VERSION EVA. Gratz on getting that shit ported. I can't wait to kill hundreds of faceless enemies and repeat one trick combo to beat Loo Boo while protecting Lord Cow Cow. Who wants to be bored by raising army, moving them across terrain, planning, and revisiting the strategic RTK or sailing around the world trading in UW anyway?

Kz3r0

Arcane
Fuck PC gaming.

Yeah, that's right, I said it. Fuck PC gaming. Don't get me wrong, I love (and always have loved) playing video games. From the age of 5 when I first played Ultima III on my old Macintosh, to Diablo, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Gothic and Planescape on PC, I have been a huge PC gaming elitist snob who never touched a console, but seriously, I'm fed up.

I've sunk a significant amount of money into a PC, and spent money on a number of games. Only to discover that they won't run (despite far exceeding the minimum specs). Typical. So after spending hours downloading literally gigabytes of patches (don't developers play test their shit at alll?), I find myself getting blue screens. Great. A blue screen which gives minimal (if any) information that you need to fix the problem. Thanks Microsoft.

OK, ok, I've been through this before. Run registry cleaner. Use driver verifier to isolate any troublesome drivers. Reinstall my graphics card drivers. Reinstall my motherboard drivers. Nope, no success. Ok, I'll reinstall Windows 7. Same problem. OK, I'll try Windows XP. No go. My CPU, memory and GPU all passed stress tests. chkdsk doesn't find any problems.

So after literally days of tinkering around with my PC, I'm back at square one, out a graphics card which cost $400+ and a bunch of games I can't play. I mean, hell, I could have got a console for that money. These days I spend more time trying to get the games to work, rather than actually playing them, which really pisses me off, because I'm short on time. This is far from the first time I've had technical difficulties, either. I'm always getting blue screens for one reason or another (and not just on this rig and operating system). Now I'm stuck in a sort of limbo, where I can't play new games because of this blue screen shit, and I can't play old games because the OS is too new.
:1/5:

Deleted member 7219

In all my years of owning a PC I've only found a blue screen to appear in the following situations:

1. Hardware issue. This is usually the problem. Your graphic card, memory or hard drive are fucked. Check the memory first, switch them around to different slots and see if that is the problem. Failing that, buy a cheap graphics card and run the PC with that for a while - if you don't have an issue, then the graphics card was your problem.

2. Overheating. Does your computer have sufficient cooling? Is your room well ventilated?

3. Drivers. Sometimes things can go wrong when installing the graphic drivers, and Windows 8 is a complete fuckup when it comes to default video/audio drivers - reinstall Windows, don't let it install ANY graphic drivers, and disable all sound devices except the ones you are actually using.

If you aren't sure about any of these things then it is a good idea to get someone to build your PC for you.

Name

Cipher
So? I've given up on gaming. Didn't make a post about it.

Instead you registered on the codex :M

You don't need to game to read or write posts on codex! You can read professional reviews, aggregate reviews, forum users impressions, watch trailers, let's play, youtube gaming video channels etc and then form your own totally original opinions and spread them on codex and other prestigious forums.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I'm waiting for the part where he says that we're idiots for saying it's his fault, because he took it to Geek Squad and they said there's nothing wrong with his hardware.

kris

Arcane
I don't get this. I haven't had any problems with games in ages and almost no game crashed on me the last 5 years.

Compared to back in the day when I had to work sometimes hours to get a game to work on my computer. i lost most ability to use the computer now because all is so easy and smooth.

Delterius

Arcane
So? I've given up on gaming. Didn't make a post about it.

Instead you registered on the codex :M

You don't need to game to read or write posts on codex! You can read professional reviews, aggregate reviews, forum users impressions, watch trailers, let's play, youtube gaming video channels etc and then form your own totally original opinions and spread them on codex and other prestigious forums.
Thats the joke. In fact, playing games is actually counter prudctive to the codexian experience. Gods forbid but you might return with a nuanced vision of the world.

Flying_Dutchman

Educated
I've sunk a significant amount of money into a PC, and spent money on a number of games. Only to discover that they won't run (despite far exceeding the minimum specs). Typical. So after spending hours downloading literally gigabytes of patches (don't developers play test their shit at alll?), I find myself getting blue screens. Great. A blue screen which gives minimal (if any) information that you need to fix the problem. Thanks Microsoft.

OK, ok, I've been through this before. Run registry cleaner. Use driver verifier to isolate any troublesome drivers. Reinstall my graphics card drivers. Reinstall my motherboard drivers. Nope, no success. Ok, I'll reinstall Windows 7. Same problem. OK, I'll try Windows XP. No go. My CPU, memory and GPU all passed stress tests. chkdsk doesn't find any problems.

Which games? If you talk about Rockstar ports, then yeah, you're right. Social Club is a POS bloatware that actually prevents you to play the game.

But I can't think about any other game I had problems with in the past 5+ years.

Psquit

Arcane
despite far exceeding the minimum specs
Thats your problem. Try exceeding max specs

Make a list of those games.

And please dont insult the pc gaming. Ever again...

4zs2dP2.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom