Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gladiabots: Programming Robots Arena

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tried this game during several conventions, and it felt like one of the most promising of the "programming genre" to me:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/871930/Gladiabots/

The game probably changed much since I last played it, but basically, you have several bots with different specialties, and a visual UI to set their program (something like if no opponent is in range, approach of the closest ball, else, shoot at opponent), and watch the match unfold.
The win condition is to collect the balls and get them to one of your endzones.

This makes it a nice programming puzzle in SP.

MP is largely asynchronous. I have not tried it, but you can basically, your bots play themselves against other bots after their programming is done.
Not sure how it woudl translate in the long run (once some programs stay at the top forever, then get copied).

Disclaimer: I only played for a short time several month ago, so I don't know how the UI holds up for complex programming needs, and how interesting the last levels are.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I remember playing games like this a lot when growing up. Robowar? Robotwar? Something like that.

Irata

Scholar
I think that Robo<something> was from Maxis (SimCity's publisher). At least I remember something like that on the Amiga. I think there was another one (or maybe it was the same one) that used some sort of Logo-type code. It could be pretty neat to be able to download other creations and have it duke it out with yours.

Not exactly related and probably pointless: I would have watched those real life robot fighting shows if they weren't remote controlled and could only rely on what was programmed.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think that Robo<something> was from Maxis (SimCity's publisher). At least I remember something like that on the Amiga. I think there was another one (or maybe it was the same one) that used some sort of Logo-type code. It could be pretty neat to be able to download other creations and have it duke it out with yours.
I think it is more or less the way MP works:
Your robot AI fights other robot AI while you sleep, and you see the replays afterwards (or at least, it should definitely work that way!).

Not exactly related and probably pointless: I would have watched those real life robot fighting shows if they weren't remote controlled and could only rely on what was programmed.
I was thinking the same. It is lame that RobotWars is not done with robots.
And the Giant Robot duel is staged.

Meh, weapons not simulated at all, they have fixed to-hit chances based on distance.
If we pick from games with similar style - Carnage Heart EXA (PSP) way better. It's even possible to detect incoming missiles and dodge away in this game.
My personal favorite AT-Robots 2, you code on assembly language and control devices (like radar, engine, shield, turret, etc...) through ports.

Pretty much sure this game will quickly die like all other programming ai genre games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom