Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Ash

Arcane
@bros: consider writing a codex review, if you're feeling adventurous.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
bro i would gladly volunteer myself to write a review cuz i know you for years and uve been my best friend on em forums bro just keep in mind if u didnt add music wubwubwub i will write a very negative review cuz we agreed music wubwubwub or bust bro u still have time to do it

Other instances where skill points are awarded nonsensically:

- Harley Filben in the subway trying to get the code to take the phone/elevator down. You have to pay him the 500 credits to tell you to talk to someone else in order to gain 55 skill points. Maybe just change it to 55 skill points for finding Harley, since he's a reoccurring character and dumps you some good information?
- The officer worker in the first Versalife map, you have to kill Hundley in order to get 150 skill points even though paying Hundley or making your own entrance through hacking are options. Arguably you get some valuable information out of the office worker (Versalife kills people in his position through Gray Death), but you get that beforehand and you're about to enter Versalife which spills the beans on everything anyway.

Also, could I be informed as to what the requirements are for Energy Transference to work? It doesn't work on the initially green soldiers at Versalife even after you've pissed them off and turned them red according to IFF. Does it only work on characters that have never been green?

EDIT: Also an observation on locked containers/doors. Currently it works so that if you have a container with 45 damage threshold and 40 HP, a 44 damage attack will do 0 damage while a 46 damage attack will do 46 damage and take it down in one hit. This should really be changed somehow. Either a 46 damage attack should deal 46 - 45 = 1 damage, or the damage bonus from skill/targetting shouldn't be applied to objects (that's what the Doorsman perk is for, and its only -5 threshold). This would help make electronics/lockpicking more useful. Maybe only do it on Hardcore mode if you think it breaks consistency with vanilla too much.

Last edited:
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Really loving GMDX, I must say mantling is much smoother and the enemies don't play around. Well everything in general in this mod is such incline, even though for some reason when trying to access the inventory or the ESC menu both of them can take some time showing up. The tomato corpses are a guilty pleasure of mine.

Ash

Arcane
Try changing renderer or fiddling with renderer config to fix that hanging problem.

Well everything in general in this mod is such incline.

The goal was to take an absolute (flawed) classic and make the ultimate FP/RPG/Im Sim out of it. It was arguably already that vanilla, now it's on another level.

Average Manatee said:
Also, could I be informed as to what the requirements are for Energy Transference to work? It doesn't work on the initially green soldiers at Versalife even after you've pissed them off and turned them red according to IFF. Does it only work on characters that have never been green?

Prevents degenerate gameplay.

Last edited:

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I was wondering if the pronunciation of GMDX could be revolutionized? Instead of simply calling it "Gee Em Dee Ex" you could start calling it "GemDex" - the Gem of the Codex.

That's it. Let the history books record that I'm calling it GemDex henceforth.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ash

How does Combat Strength work? The description says it multiplies damage done in melee combat, but the damage stats in the inventory screen doesn't change. Does it stack with Targeting?

EDIT: Never mind, I didn't realize Combat Strength had no effect on the Riot Prod, which was the weapon I checked the damage on.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
The only one confirmed possible is OpenAL, a open source audio rendering device, which GMDX testers reported was worthwhile.

Also, v9.0.2 patch released: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/downloads/gmdxv902-patch

deus_ex_wallpaper_1920x1080_deus.jpg

NOTE: This patch is only relevant to those that have GMDXv9.0.1 or below (or downloaded GMDX before 18th July 2017). If you have v9.0.2 or have not downloaded GMDX yet this patch can safely be ignored. You can tell which version of GMDX you have by looking at the main menu (Where new game, save game, options etc are displayed). Version number is displayed at the bottom.

Note: for any map/level-based fix to work (such as crashing at the UNATCO MJ12 Lab) you have to load a previous save game made from before ever entering the map in question.

You do not need to start a new game.

What it fixes:

v9.0.2

-Fixed crashing when quickloading near NPCs that are talking, when both the subtitles and Real Time UI options are enabled.
-fixed size of decals drawn on wooden doors by melee hits.
-Stealth pistol is slightly more accurate than pistol as intended.
-Cigarettes won't crash the game at low health.
-JoJo will talk to the rentons during the 'Ton dispute.
-Vanilla bugfix: Rescue tiffany goal log will clear once she's dead/rescued
-NPCs are 10% more accurate with the pistol.
-The camera should not go through the floor for some people with first person death perspective.
-The DTS is slightly more effective than other melee weapons VS bots, since its base damage has seen considerable nerf.
-The GEP gun displays mag/rounds in the hud ammo display, as intended last build
-Smuggler's bots won't be hostile towards you (including future visits) once you've met him.
-Paul should be correctly tracked as dead or alive during the hotel raid events
-added 10% pitch randomization range to melee weapon and plasma rifle fire sounds
-Fixed mole people slaughter flag tracking
-Ford schick doesn't initiate the convo when in radius, only when frobbed
-And plenty minor level-based tweaks

v9.0.1

-Fixed crashing as a result of NPC pathing on the UNATCOMJ12Lab level (you have to load a save from a previous map for this to work).
-NSF no longer have MJ12 combat/stealth/reaction barks.
-Standing accuracy bonus can never take you over 95%
-Vanilla bugfix: standing accuracy timer is now capped. Standing still for long periods of time won't constantly build up the standing bonus.
-Throwing decorative objects (non-power throw) at "Tank" NPCs (Gunther, super mibs) won't break the object

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
I wonder what Warren Spector himself will say about GMDX?

:shredder:

Probably, like many people that have yet to play it (and he probably won't play it), he just thinks this is your average mod. Not the tweaking of everything to perfection over the course of five years while slavishly following the original design principles, along with good new additions that fit the formula like a custom-tailored glove.
Even if he did play it I doubt he'd recognise even half the improvements without playing vanilla and GMDX back to back, because so much is subtle, sensible and logical. Not to mention if he played Revision he's probably turned off mods for life.

Last edited:
Making the NPCs even more accurate with the pistol? Good lord. It's already kind of silly that the assault rifle guys turn into harmless pin pricks at mid range while pistol guys can OHKO you with a lucky hit. And if that includes the mini-crossbow (with its horrible tranq darts that are OP as hell), then that's gonna be harsh.

EDIT: Or is this about nerfing the pistol's base accuracy and moving NPCs back up to compensate?

Last edited:

Abhay

Augur
I'm curious whether anyone is using any extra mods on top of GMDX. If so, which ones?
Add-ons!
I don't see any point in doing mids rather than minor addons over and above what the masterpiece GMDX itself has to offer.
From the moddb page:
This makes GMDX the de facto ideal new base for future Deus Ex mods, and that's where a source code release would come in to make the life easier of those that intend to do so.

Ash

Arcane
Making the NPCs even more accurate with the pistol? Good lord. It's already kind of silly that the assault rifle guys turn into harmless pin pricks at mid range while pistol guys can OHKO you with a lucky hit. And if that includes the mini-crossbow (with its horrible tranq darts that are OP as hell), then that's gonna be harsh.

EDIT: Or is this about nerfing the pistol's base accuracy and moving NPCs back up to compensate?

NPCs with the pistol are ridiculously inaccurate, and could fire whole clips at close-medium range and still miss. This won't change that much, but just enough to be a bit more of a threat.
Assault gun users are a lot more accurate and deadly at close to medium range.
NPCs with the pistol can't OHKO you even on the highest difficulty if you're healthy (or if wearing armor/ballistic protection).
NPCs wth the pistol are/were less of a threat than vanilla. Damage is nerfed, but now accuracy is increased.

Finished. Great mod. Really smooths the game out. Mantling alone is akin to taking the gameplay from 8/10 to 9/10, original Deus Ex was so bad about how JC couldn't jump over a 2 foot wall without augmentation. Hardcore felt well balanced for its namesake, checkpoints were spaced well. End game was fun, running around with cloak/energy transference/DTS just backstabbing everywhere when no one was watching. Only major problem is that I had quite a few crashes. Don't know whether it was just Deus Ex on my system or the mod, but it was really annoying.

Other random bugs/suggestions/stuff I'll complain about:

- When you get the mission to kill Joe Green, it registers as finished even if you only knock him unconscious.
- When you get the goal to go to Smuggler to buy LAMs for destroying the freighter, the game gives skill points for buying the rockets but not the LAMs. Why? Seems like it should credit either since both are relevant to the mission goal, and the game told you to buy LAMs.
- Robots could use better AI so that the player can't hide behind metal boxes to block their gunfire indefinitely.
- In A51 (maybe shortly before) I started encountering a number of breakable objects that wouldn't take damage when they should. Sometimes doors could only be destroyed from one side. This is shortly after I downloaded 9.0.2, so maybe it was a bug with patching a game in progress.
- Have you thought about rescaling the health display in the top left? Specifically, it stays green even when you're fairly highly damaged and need to heal. There's what looks to be a light-green that shows up around 60% HP left, but that's already really late and its hard to tell the difference in the heat of battle which can lead to stupid deaths. It should be yellow/orange when under 70% IMO.

NPCs with the pistol are ridiculously inaccurate, and could fire whole clips at close-medium range and still miss. This won't change that much, but just enough to be a bit more of a threat.
Assault gun users are a lot more accurate and deadly at close to medium range.
NPCs with the pistol can't OHKO you even on the highest difficulty if you're healthy (or if wearing armor/ballistic protection).
NPCs wth the pistol are/were less of a threat than vanilla. Damage is nerfed, but now accuracy is increased.

Tell me how exactly damage works for NPCs then. Doesn't a pistol do 14 x 8 = 112 with a headshot? Meanwhile rifles plink away at 3 damage a shot and become inaccurate with sustained firepower. The pistols definitely seem more dangerous to me. Tranq darts being even worse because there doesn't seem to be a way to reduce damage. I swear half my deaths are from tranq darts that kill me a few seconds after battle has ended before I could access my healing items.

Old One

Arcane
What other mods could anyone possibly want with this?
I have no idea. That's why I asked.

The only one confirmed possible is OpenAL, a open source audio rendering device, which GMDX testers reported was worthwhile.
My first reaction was that didn't seem like something I'd be interested in, but from what I read, it actually sounds kind of cool.

Ash

Arcane
Makes aqualung and Environmental resistance on par with the other augs.

Tell me how exactly damage works for NPCs then. Doesn't a pistol do 14 x 8 = 112 with a headshot?

No. Player has a different damage model (vanilla). weaponDamage * (bodyPartMultiplier * difficultyLevel).

Regarding crashing: grab the latest patch. Also if you're using DX10 renderer don't alt-tab.

Last edited:

Bocian

Arcane
Anyone made a comparison between GMDX and DE: Revision, and which of them would be more worthwhile to check out?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Anyone made a comparison between GMDX and DE: Revision, and which of them would be more worthwhile to check out?

GMDX by far, it actually balances and fixes gameplay. Revision is just pointless map changes for the most part.

Revision: Imagine getting a dozen mappers together to remake half of the maps with no coordination between them. Some maps come out looking like blade runner, some come out looking post-apoc, and the other half no one got around to so instead someone just sprinkled a billion props everywhere. Get major publicity because one of your team members knows a guy who works for Eidos and you cut a deal with them to make the mod steam-exclusive so that it sells extra copies since no other version can run Revision (unless you pirate mods, lol).

GMDX: Imagine an actually good mod.

Black

Arcane
Ash did you scrap the new naval base warehouse area?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom