Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I wish to report a bug. Flares get used even when you drop them :M.

Fixed. I guess I'll be releasing a 7.1, primarily as a patch. I did whine and whine about needing testers...overall though this is pretty polished and fixes nearly all vanilla bugs too.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Did you go hardcore in the end? The game, in LGS spirit of course, is highly replayable. GMDX makes it even more so, so I wouldn't worry about feeling like you're missing anything. You'll be back for more at some point.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
If you are sure it deserves attention then give the word and I'll have a look. You are the first of many players to make such a claim though.
I will tell you how I "tested" it. In liberty isle, I fired a rocket against the security bot when it was on the "unatco side" of its patrol route, on the paved path. The rocket hit the bunker thingy at the very left edge which thankfully took out the bot too. I was expecting enemies to swarm me, but nothing happen. Then I went to that spot and fired a pistol shot in the air, and then enemies did show up.

It is certainly possible they patrolled closer in the time between the rocket explosion and gun shot though. And I was far way when firing the rocket, but most of the sound of gep should be on impact :M.

I might check this again when I run into a stationary enemy.

About the mod, im not sure its worth fixing, but it does say +10% in the little window, and it seems more reasonably to round 1.1 down to 1, so you need 1.5 to round to 2. This would ofc need to be applied to all integer values in weapon mods for consistency if you are going to change anything ;)

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Went through battery park. It's really cool how smoke stops laser beams now.

It seems alarms never stop if a camera can see a body. Not sure this is so great, since all it really comes down to is needing to move bodies out of sight. Have you considered implementing some sort of "alarm counter"? Where enemies get a bit more perceptive and especially quicker to start shooting the more alarms the player has triggered in a level? Would be cool(iirc some of the splinter cell games have a thing like this).

I also noticed that the unatco dudes outside the subway didn't do their usual "charge and clean the place up", and instead just camped by the side until I drew the fight to them... at which point they promptly died while barely taking out 2 NSF :M

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
So I played through hells kitchen and mj12 sewer.

The changes on the sewer map were really good. Although I miss the flamer fuel that iirc used to be there. Haven't found any so far. I noticed you added one residence and one apartment high up. Sadly both were empty of any useful things as far as I could tell, and the door to the bedroom in the apartment is bugged and doesn't open.

How does smoke stop laser beams anyway? Because when I tried it now on red ones(in mj12 "back" entrance where there is a dead one with an nsf), it stopped the turret from shootin me, but the alarm still sounded. Seems wonky. Speaking of wonky, dem remote controlled rokkits. They have inverted view steering(please no, it should be as jc's) and it seems that after using one the center of the crosshair goes away until save reload.

Medbots have limited charges now. This means I only got 2 uses out of my 1200 dollaru I spent. Also I noticed you still need 8 free inventory spots when picking up heavy weapons, which can lead to some awkward inventory juggling.

I'm really digging this mod. There's a lot more detail in the maps in general. I think some of that is from new vision, but there's a lot less unadorned walls and such now.

P.S That bathroom drop in sewers :rage:

Also triple posting is cool.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Have you considered implementing some sort of "alarm counter"? Where enemies get a bit more perceptive and especially quicker to start shooting the more alarms the player has triggered in a level? Would be cool(iirc some of the splinter cell games have a thing like this).

They do get more perceptive if an alarm sounds.

How does smoke stop laser beams anyway?

It shouldn't. I'll take a look later.

Speaking of wonky, dem remote controlled rokkits. They have inverted view steering(please no, it should be as jc's) and it seems that after using one the center of the crosshair goes away until save reload.

Heavy weapon skill influences control sensitivity over remote controlled rockets. I'll fix the xhair though.

Also I noticed you still need 8 free inventory spots when picking up heavy weapons, which can lead to some awkward inventory juggling.

Are you forgetting it is heavy weapon skill master level that makes them smaller?

I noticed you added one residence and one apartment high up. Sadly both were empty of any useful things as far as I could tell, and the door to the bedroom in the apartment is bugged and doesn't open.

Bugged? It is jammed. You think I built all that super secret secret stuff for the sake of it? You missed a secret :M

Medbots have limited charges now. This means I only got 2 uses out of my 1200 dollaru I spent.

You got ripped off :MIt was never a good option to spend the credits unless as a last resort. Just blow the door or use multitools.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, smoke triggers lasers, but it seems a LOT of turrets aren't connected to the grid properly and don't fire. For example the one I mentioned earlier, and when going to the warehouse in hells kitchen via the sewers, there's one right after the hatch that doesn't react when you trigger the lasers.

Also, crosshair issues is not from flying rockits, its from laser beam it seems, or a combination.

I have master heavy weapons, but you still need 8 free spots when picking them up, and then they get reduced to size 3. Not a huge deal, just annoying.

I'm not gonna blow open a door inside a hospital, and it's pretty well locked :M.

Oh and while I'm making requests, if you could find a way to make gunther not behave stupidly when he lands at the top of the warehouse and gets shot at by 5 sniper nsf, that would be nice.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I have master heavy weapons, but you still need 8 free spots when picking them up, and then they get reduced to size 3. Not a huge deal, just annoying.

I see. I'll have the item pickup algorithm change the size also as a fail safe.

Oh and while I'm making requests, if you could find a way to make gunther not behave stupidly when he lands at the top of the warehouse and gets shot at by 5 sniper nsf, that would be nice.

What does he do? I'm guessing his attack range is vanilla (not very far) so he runs around confused.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
There's a lot of empty crates everywhere. I remember you said you wanted to reduce player resources, but I think it'd be better if you removed the crates rather than just make them empty.

Also, I have come up with an endorsement which I feel captures my opinion so far: It's like replaying deus ex for the first time again. You know where everything is, but there's constantly new and cool things you didn't realize existed. Both in terms of secrets/items, but also because of the increased difficulity, I'm running into dialogue I'm pretty sure I've never heard before.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
There's a lot of empty crates everywhere. I remember you said you wanted to reduce player resources, but I think it'd be better if you removed the crates rather than just make them empty.

Why? I think it is good for sim design (all crates in the real world do not have exactly one item in them/are never empty as a rule) and also serve as decoration. They still have other gameplay purposes also: use them as portable cover. Throw them at enemies with the microfibral muscle aug to deal damage. Throw them as a distraction. Use them to build a custom ladder and so on...

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
I'm surprised you haven't commented on the heavy weapons becoming too small at master level. Personally I would have only made them two blocks smaller but the unreal engine only accepts texture resolution to the power of two, so my options were severely limited. Unless of course someone remakes the textures (I exported and re-sized them).
Either way, it is a solid improvement over vanilla. Heavy weapons were far too large.

The incline I could command with an army of pixel pushers...sigh.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I'm surprised you haven't commented on the heavy weapons becoming too small at master level. Personally I would have only made them two blocks smaller but the unreal engine only accepts texture resolution to the power of two, so my options were severely limited. Unless of course someone remakes the textures (I exported and re-sized them).
Either way, it is a solid improvement over vanilla. Heavy weapons were far too large.

The incline I could command with an army of pixel pushers...sigh.
I'm a massive pack rat, so I think it is great. I wouldn't complain if every item was made size 1 :M

I like that with the current size, you can carry all 3 heavy weapons, and still have room for DTS and some conventional firearms. And you need some conventional firearms anyway, since heavy weapon ammo is kinda rare. But it needs to be because aside from plasma, its really strong.

If you want to balance it more, I would say have rocket launcher and flamer only get a little bit smaller, but let plasma get 1x3. It needs the buff. Assuming you get a pixel pusher that is :)

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
The plasma rifle is a tool of devastation. I've put a fair bit of work into it. It already has had it's buff.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
The plasma rifle is a tool of devastation. I've put a fair bit of work into it. It already has had it's buff.
Yeah sure, and it does a lot of damage. But its problem is still what its problem always was. The projectiles move slowly enough that the npcs can actually dodge them. And even something like a pistol is usually a one hit kill if you shoot in the head, so damage is not often a factor. The rocket launcher is better at taking out mechs, and the flamer is better at taking out organics. Plasma is just not worth 8 invetory space imo.

I suspect new plasma might be extremely good against stuff like anna/gunther/simons though. And it is worth using for nothing else than the sheer carnage it produces with the new gib system.

I finished escape from UNATCO. It's a bit weird how the cameras inside don't care about JC, but the ones outside do. There was also another bug I think I failed to mention, in first visit to hells kitchen, I couldn't get any of the two bank codes I found to work on any of the terminals. I'm playing the game without hacking, for the first time.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Yeah sure, and it does a lot of damage. But its problem is still what its problem always was. The projectiles move slowly enough that the npcs can actually dodge them. And even something like a pistol is usually a one hit kill if you shoot in the head, so damage is not often a factor.

This problem is fixed by range mods: they increase projectile speed of all heavy weapons (and therefore potential range) they are applied to. Especially effective with the plasma rifle and flamethrower. Does the same for the mini-xbow also.

I finished escape from UNATCO. It's a bit weird how the cameras inside don't care about JC, but the ones outside do. There was also another bug I think I failed to mention, in first visit to hells kitchen, I couldn't get any of the two bank codes I found to work on any of the terminals. I'm playing the game without hacking, for the first time.

I know of the one found in the hotel. Where is the other?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Yeah sure, and it does a lot of damage. But its problem is still what its problem always was. The projectiles move slowly enough that the npcs can actually dodge them. And even something like a pistol is usually a one hit kill if you shoot in the head, so damage is not often a factor.

This problem is fixed by range mods: they increase projectile speed of all heavy weapons (and therefore potential range) they are applied to. Especially effective with the plasma rifle and flamethrower. Does the same for the mini-xbow also.
Did not know. I'll start slapping them on my plasma instead of flammenwerfer. I think my point about non-hitscan weapon still stands though.

I know of the one found in the hotel. Where is the other?
I don't remember :M. Might be on the datacube in the alley between ton and bar.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
When you say "smoke blocks lasers" what smoke are you referring to? What was the smoke spawned from?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
When you say "smoke blocks lasers" what smoke are you referring to? What was the smoke spawned from?
Both smoke grenade and pepper gun. What I mean is that it blocks the laser graphic, and triggers the lasers. I mistakenly thought it prevented lasers from tripping, because the subway station hostages didn't assplode when it blocked the blue beams there.

So false alarm on that I think.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
For fuck sake I despise this digressive shit hole.

Random DX fact of the day:

// ----------------------------------------------------------------------
// DisplaySkillChoice()
//
// Displays a Skilled choice, a choice that's only visible if the user
// has a particular skill at a certain skill level
// ----------------------------------------------------------------------

function DisplaySkillChoice( ConChoice choice )
{
local ConChoiceWindow newButton;

newButton = CreateConButton( HALIGN_Left, colConTextSkill, colConTextFocus );
newButton.SetText( "~ " $ choice.choiceText $ " (" $ choice.SkillNeeded $ ":" $ choice.SkillLevelNeeded $ ")" );
newButton.SetUserObject( choice );

// Add the button
AddButton( newButton );
}

Deus Ex was going to have hidden conversation options/skill checks. I'd have liked that. Shame they never followed up on it.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Swimming is still weird, despite your balance changes. Some relatively simply detours require more swimming than the hong kong canal place where there's free weapon mods and aug upgrades.

Not much to be done about that though, other than adding breathing holes, which idoesn't feel like a very good solution.

Also, I think you may have overnerfed regeneration. It was waaaaaaaaaay too good before, because it made you basically immortal, negating a lot of other augs. But now it drains a bit too much bio electricity for what it does, especially unupgraded. I think slowing down the speed was a good change, perhaps it should be slowed down even further and get a reduced cost?

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"I think slowing down the speed was a good change, perhaps it should be slowed down even further and get a reduced cost?"

Hmm, perhaps. Though slowing the healing speed down some more will effectively increase the drain (as the aug has to be on longer to take effect). I don't think I overnerfed it. 20hp per 2 seconds at max level is still pretty darn OP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom