Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Most will have skill level requirements. Especially that heavy weapons inventory size reduction one.
The system's existence is primarily to have more choices in how to build your character. So say you invest in heavy weapons to master (which will be cheaper overall), then you have the option to purchase the inventory size reduction perk for a little extra, or not.

It is primarily inspired by Fallout and System Shock 2 (OS upgrades) and will work like a hybrid between those two implementations. However, where it will be better than those two will be in variable costs: Not all perks will cost the same, granting achievable balance and even allowing me to add even very minor perks for the player to buy for cheap if they want.
In those games the devs would have strived for each perk to be generally equal in worth (since you only get one perk per level (or two levels) or one OS upgrade choice per station), but I only need to aim for each perk to be balanced to its costs, as well as keeping in mind how much perks can influence a type of build.
Well, of course I need to make sure they are balanced in general so you cannot easily dominate AI and such, but that also goes without saying.

Last edited:
Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Right, I'm going to give you a clear picture of what I'm going for with this system.

First, we have the skills:

DeusEx%202015-06-17%2003-14-08-162_zpsbnqa8gao.jpg

You click on a skill, can read its description or upgrade it. However now we can click on the new "Perks" button, and the information box changes to this:

DeusEx%202015-06-17%2003-14-32-914_zpsyt6lxhnu.jpg

So now that you have a solid idea of what I'm going for, feel free to offer feedback on presentation or whatever else. Do note I'm only about 20% done. There's still so much fucking stuff to do, UI coding is a pain in the ass.

One question: do you think I should name the perks, leave them as PERK 1 etc, or something else (icons, for example). I'm leaning to just leaving the names as is. Naming them adds a cheesy element I feel. "Rad Child", "Pack Rat" etc, and there's no other adequate naming convention I can think of.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Perhaps. Some may be difficult to avoid the cheese I fear, but maybe I just haven't given the naming enough thought.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
New update on moddb: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx/news/gmdx-v80-development-milestone

FURTHER IMPROVED AI

- AI in GMDX v7.0 are polished to a very high standard, but there's always more you can do. So in GMDX v8.0 we have some finishing touches. Examples:

COMBAT

- Some high-level AI use new augmentations, such as a typhoon-like aug, and visual shielding.
- Improved AI's GMDX camping behavior; behavior when taking cover and holding their positions.
- Optimized AI shooting/aiming behavior primarily related to projectile attacks.

STEALTH

- If an alarm is sounded more enemies are called in (high security areas only).
- Dogs chase and attack the player more effectively, and when they spot you they bark loads and alert nearby AI to your presence. (in other words, they behave closer to real life guard dogs).

OTHER

- Whilst AI death animation is playing there is no longer invisible collision that blocks bullets and enemy decision-making algorithms.
- A focus on making AI/the game a little easier on lower difficulty levels.
- EMP damage causes an augmented MIB's augmentations to malfunction.
- Yet more appropriate variation in pain, death and knockout sounds.
- Blowing up NPCs doesn't destroy their inventories (Credit: Yuki of Shifter).
- If a military bot stomps over a corpse the corpse will gib.

NEW PERK SYSTEM

- 32 new empowering perks.
- Features skill requirements; you must first upgrade the respective skill to the corresponding level to be able to purchase the perk.
- Enables new features such as the ability to toggle grenades that explode on contact or timed, and the ability to hack security systems at range with multitools.
- Click the "perks" button from the skills screen.
-More choice, more depth. How will you build your character?
Seems CyberP self-ejected. What a shame.

dxmaniac

Barely Literate
I'm loving your vision for this, Man!!! I've been waiting for something like this since forever. The fact that no one has ever done it before led me to believe that something like this was impossible to accomplish, and I lost all hope...
But then YOU show up with this!! ...and... OMG My dream is coming true!!!! :D

I have Questions and Suggestions:

Regarding NPCs

1. NPCs fire two-handed weapons with just one hand when crouched. Needs to be fixed!
2. When NPCs die, the weapon they were holding could fall on the ground instead of disappearing in their pockets.
3. NPCs (and JC Denton when in front of the mirror) could benefit from some strafe animations.
4. NPCs could have more death animations.
5. More foot sounds. (Paranoid civilians running around in a closed environment can get annoying due to the lack of sound variety).
6. You could add crunchy bone and meaty sounds when hitting NPCs that are laid down on the ground instead of hearing the melee weapon hitting the floor.

Regarding weapons models and stuff...

1. Weapon redesigns look awesome, more detailed than ever, but JC Denton's hands look too blocky in comparison. Could Denton's hands be better modeled as well? without square fingers, no?
2. Thugs get knifes and crowbars, but no baseball bats!? You gotta get some baseball bats! (It would also be cool to see a lot more melee weapons added).
3. You could be able to punch people when unarmed, no?

Regarding Gameplay, skills, etc

1. There's no reason why you wouldn't be able to carry more than one PS20.
2. It would make sense to be able to shoot the lock of some locked doors with low durability to open them, instead of tearing the whole thing down. (Just a thought)
3. You could be able to light up a flare and walk around with it instead of throwing it away automattically.
4. You could add a perk that would allow you to expand your inventory?
5. You could add a similar feature to System Shock 2 where by right-clicking on an enemy, a window of their inventory would pop-up and you would be able to select and drag the item's you'd want to your inventory screen. And to pick up the bodies you would just hold-down the RMB instead.
6. You could be able to hold-down the RMB to grab onto a ladder, similar to the way you do in Half-Life 2. This would solve some problems such as climbing down ladders which has always been clumsy as hell (in Hell's Kitchen, to climb up to Plaul's apartment from the outside, you have to step on a crate in order to grab onto the ladder when the ladder is right in front of you which is rediculous. This would probably fix this issue and similar situations i think).

This is more of a question than anything else but...

- Regarding physics and crates (I know ragdoll physics aren't possible in Deus Ex SDK), but, if more than half of a crate's surface is over the edge of a platform, would it be possible for it to trigger an animation where the crate would flip and fall on the platform ahead, creating the illusion of real physics simulation? This would prevent floating crates (I know nothing of programing so I have no ideia if this can be done).

And finally Oculus Rift support! ...kidding:) (it would be nice though).

Keep up the awesome work!!!
(...btw Mantling is AWESOME! I can be a ninja now!!!)

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Just when someone shows up who would geek out with him on his mod CyberP leaves.

Diablo

Novice
Where is CyberP? Ive been playing his mod lately and i have to say, it kicks ass! I have some suggestions/criticisms though. So CyberP, i hope you are reading this.

The mod is almost PERFECT as it is, except for a couple of things, some minor stuff but also some questionable stuff. So here is a list of some nitpicks not in any particular order.

FIRST THINGS FIRST, i made it to Paris and these are my STATS

skills
Deus_Ex_2015_07_23_03_46_53_25.png

augs
Deus_Ex_2015_07_23_03_47_04_71.png

Im playing on HARDCORE difficulty with no saves option enabled.

As you can see, i already mastered heavy weapons, environmental training and electronics; im good at low-tech and demolitions and i trained some stealth and swimming. And i got 2267 points to spend.

Is this normal? It seems a bit overkill at this stage. Maybe its because i explored a LOT due to constant backtracking between maps(mostly so that i could autosave) and there always seemed to be something new to discover. Well to quote the Chosen One from Fallout 2

"Im an explorer! I like to explore everywhere i can."

OTOH i never finished the game back in the day(made it to Hong Kong last time) so i dont know how long it is after Paris, but i dont wanna get too OP at the end. Right now im seeing myself mastering low-tech and demolitions and even having some extra points to spend on stuff thats not really my JCs style.

But i dont know, maybe im wrong. Maybe JC is supposed to be OP at the end. So its not really a problem either way. Whatever.

Here are some real issues:

Broken spydrone
There is a bug when using synthetic hearth and spydrone at the same time, and since you made synthetic hearth passive, it effectively prevents me from using the spydrone for more than half a second. That SUCKS, especially since i wasted some biomods on it. Its still useful, for example i can sneak up on a bot and detonate the drone in my face. It drains up all my energy though. So it would be cool if you could fix it.

Also, there is a neat little exploit i discovered with the drone.

Basically, you can use it as a parachute. Just jump from some great height, activate it before hitting the ground and JC will gracefully slide down. Neat! I guess what happens here is that JCs model gets 'frozen' so you could control the drone with WASD. In my mind, i like to imagine that JC turns on the drone mid air and grabs onto it like the ingenious field agent that he is.

But i dont know, maybe this should be removed, for balance sake.

In any case you should fix the synthetic heart/spydrone incompatibility. Maybe make the heart active again? But i do understand why you made it passive and it is better that way. Its just too bad for the drone.

Flashlight
You should make the flashlight more energy consuming, maybe 50 points per minute, instead of 5. This sounds drastic but come on, you wont be using it ALL the time. Just when its dark, which is not that often.

Or better yet you can disable the lamp completely, thus making flares into something actually worthy of taking up a slot in the inventory. This is how i played it, pretending that the lamp is not there, and it really ads to the game. One time i jumped on a TNT crate in pitch black darkness. Fun! Had to replay the entire map. But, it was fair because i had a flare and decided not to use it. C&C, C&C.

(Also as i understood it, JC is not using a real flashlight but has somekinda 'luminoscent' cells in his head. So im not suggesting something like in F.E.A.R. where Point Man has a defective flashlight that drains really fast. Here, JC basically shoots beams of light from his eyes. So it would actually make sense to be power consuming.)

Besides that i was thinking, if you can make the flashlight upgradeable, so that for example at lower tiers, you can reduce the energy cost; but at higher tiers JC can basically BLIND enemies with his powerful lazor eyes!

And on the highest level he can actually set people on FIRE just by looking at them! Man, how cool would that be. A weaponized flashlight. Something like this
60d2a1e4193f4804c6256f365661a675.jpg

JC at end game, shooting down planes
Is it possible to implement something like that? Maybe it could be a bit overkill, but im sure you could balance it up.

Broken UMP45c and rubber bullets
You added the UMP gun and its pretty cool all around even though it looks a bit Modern Warfarey. But with taking just three slots in the inventory, and since im playing a heavy weapons JC, i decided to mod it for extreme circumstances.

Unfortunately, later when i got my gear confiscated(in mJ12 prison) the gun disappeared. Which means all those mods i wasted on it are well, WASTED. Probably because its not a vanilla gun and the game didnt register it or something. I guess you didnt think of that.:argh:

But its not a big deal since i picked a STRIKER shotgun to mod instead. Mostly because it has the new non-lethal rubber bullets option, and since Paul died i swore to never kill anyon again.

About rubber bullets. They are great! But sadly they are also overpowered as shit. Really, I dont need to aim to the head at all, the torso will do just fine, and they drop down. Its a bit too much; im able to clear a room full of badguys just by blindly emptying the clip. Look at this

Deus_Ex_2015_07_23_06_19_56_70.png

"foolish to cling to traditional weapons..." No shit!

Deus_Ex_2015_07_23_06_20_11_26.png

And this was BEFORE i modded the gun.

I shouldnt have been able to do this because my JC doesnt know shit about rifles(until modded) and i should have died in this subway after firing the second shot.

So you definitely need to look into this, and make it so that ONLY headshots knock them down(like darts) or maybe if you shoot them in the balls or something.

Also, i dont know if you knew this, but those bullets can ricochet. I noticed it at the Old China Hand bar when i decided to knock out that guy that wants to sell me a map for an OBSCENE amount of cash that i will never have(2000 bucks)

(BTW... in your mod only a hacker can get rich basically. Everyone else will either have to be a badass player and never spend a 100 bucks on save points; or explore a lot in hope of finding datacubes with ATM pin numbers; or turn to criminal acts such as breaking into peoples stores and homes to rob them or prodding random passersby in hope of finding some money on them. This is NOT a bad thing, its how it should be. It differentiates the builds and makes for really differing playthroughs. A master hacker for example would never turn to such lowly activities. So all in all its a good decision)

Sorry about the digression. So, at the Old China Hand i shoot the map selling guy in the head and the ball bounces off him and hits a hooker at the other end of the bar, knocking her down too. That was pretty cool, i dont know if you were aware of this effect.

In any case you need to NERF THE BULLETS DOWN because as it is, its more difficult to kill people than to knock them out, when it should be the other way around. And combined with the fact that you can pick the bullets up after a fight, i dont see any reason to use regular ammo at all. So AT LEAST make them unpickable and therefore > rare.

Food and drinks... WTF
Sorry but this just needs to go. You made food and drinks available only in limited amounts. Basically i can only eat 5 candy bars on a single map. What a hell man?! This makes no sense. Why wouldnt i be able to eat six or more candy bars, its not like they restore you to full health, they add just 2 points. Is JC diabetic or something?!

So for example i got hurt real bad in Hong Kong and dragged my ass to Old Hand China bar to buy some food and drinks since i had some cash on me. I bought SHITLOAD of soya beans and sodas, filled my inventory until the stuff started dropping on the floor. So imagine my surprise when i hit your limit. All that stuff lying on the floor, all that money spent FOR NOTHING. It just makes no sense. JC is hurt bad and he needs those health points and he paid for them but he cant have them. Arrrrghhhhhh!!

Now i know from other threads that you are into this 'simulation' fetish thing, but you really need to let it go. Its hurting your otherwise perfect mod. JUST LET IT GO

OK, in v8 you made it so that master athletics? removes the limit. Thats something. Now master athleticist can eat all the candies he wants.

But im thinking, wouldnt it be better if you REMOVED the limit completely and instead tied food, drinks, water etc. to medical skill and made it so that the stuff gives you more health, maybe 10 points when you hit advanced and maybe 20 points on master. I dont know about the numbers but you get the point.

This would further differentiate the 'medical JC' playthrough from a non medical one.

So for example: a medical JC would walk into a bar, order some junk food and reconvert it into health. A medical JC actually caries this shit along to use it as stimpaks and sacrifices inventory slots for it. That way they are USEFUL for some builds but always usable for all builds. As it is now, they are USELESS for all builds for the sake of realism or whatever.

Now the med skill is already good as it is; with healing being more effective, removing toxins and adding plus 10 hp for torso and head at every level, im really 'feeling' my lack of medical expertise. 2/3 of Hong Kong for example consisted of my legbroken JC crawling around looking for a stimpak. Again, this wasnt a bad thing, and in a way i treated it like a mini quest. So why not push the med skill further?

How about: healing crippled legs by somehow applying a candy bar and a soda can to it on MASTER level? What do you think. Can it be done? Maybe its a bit stupid but JC does a lot of goofy things in the game and yet it somehow makes him cool.
PLEASE CONSIDER IT.

Well, thats all for v7.

Now, i read the v8 change log and i JUST DONT KNOW. It seems to me its a really questionable direction the mod is heading to. Even though i havent played it and i may be wrong about it, im compelled to write something about it just because i love your mod so much.:salute:

V8 questionable decisions
First, it seems to me this new perk system is completely unnecessary. Instead, all those perks should simply be colapsed into skill effects, like it was before.

Like Jaedar said

How are perks different from the stuff you get from upgrading skill regularly?

The v7 electronics skill for example, extended your multitool range as you advanced it, and in the end at master level you could disable stuff across the map. In addition, you could hack almost anything with just one tool. Simple and effective.

But now, you have to 'unlock' these features at the end.

So you spend some 5000 points on electronics and then have to add an extra measly 200 points for range. I get that, the player now has an option NOT to buy it, and to buy something else instead. But, you already spent 5000 points on electronic skill, so why wouldnt you buy it. Of course everyone who mastered electronics will buy it, so im not seeing any sense in making it separate from the master level skill.

For example you said

The system's existence is primarily to have more choices in how to build your character. So say you invest in heavy weapons to master (which will be cheaper overall), then you have the option to purchase the inventory size reduction perk for a little extra, or not.

Its the same thing. You are a heavy weapons JC so why wouldnt you take that perk?

Then there are the perks themselves.

Some sound really really cool and useful like DEADLY CONTACT for grenades(a great idea) or AREA OF EFFECT for the GEP. But some are really lame.

Like CLARITY??
It helps you see better when DROWNING. OK, but when you drown in the game its usually because you were swimming upwards and couldnt make it due to poor skill.So now if you buy CLARITY you can swim up with clear vision but you are still going to fucking drown.
So whats the point of this perk.

How about instead you make it so that entering any water if untrained gets you blurry vision immediately, drowning or no drowning. So you could play a JC as a real wuss whos afraid of water and avoids it at any cost because he (just like you) cant see shit in there. That would make more sense and it would be more hardcore.

OK the perks are still work in progress and im sure you will balance it all up in the end. However it would be really cool if you implemented some of these in some future v7.1 by adding them to regular skill levels? I hope its not too much of a bother? Please?:)

Then theres also the new stamina system and even though it seems a bit too 'simulationist' for me im actually really interested in seeing it in action and how it changes things. I dont know we will have to wait and see.

Well thats all.

Tl;dr

Bottom line, GMDX v7 is the best DX mod ever and CyberP is like a slightly demented Blue Fairy who turned Deus Ex into a real boyCRPG. And even though im unsure about the new version im still looking forward to it. I just hope v7 is not completely abandoned and that the above criticisms/suggestions can be addressed/implemented for those who prefer CyberPs original vision.
:salute:

Diablo

Novice
Yes sorry about that, ill get back to it eventually.:oops:

Now im pretty hooked on DX and i gotta finish it first.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A message from the departed:

Hello Prestigious RPGCodex Staff,

I am writing to you today to pitch to you 'GMDX', a large-scale modification for the 2000 PC classic Deus Ex in the hopes that you like what you see and subsequently cover the mod with an news article to accompany GMDX's marketing campaign which has begun today.

GMDX's official summary:

"GMDX is an award-winning large-scale modification for the 2000 PC classic Deus Ex. GMDX addresses the many flaws of the game, polishes it to a very high standard, and adds new layers of depth that one would have hoped to see in a sequel. GMDX is executed with the strict parameter of staying true to the original design principles that define Deus Ex, and seeks to improve all aspects of design excluding the plot and soundtrack. The cumulative result thus far is said to be, and aims to be the "definitive Deus Ex experience". "

As previously mentioned, GMDX's marketing campaign has begun today, starting with the release of three videos that cover notable features of the mod for the respective categories:

Part 1: Artificial Intelligence: https://youtu.be/rKHPtfammNY
Part 2: Player-Controlled Mechanics: https://youtu.be/ny0wLI-ZWOY
Part 3: Simulated Systems and Effects: https://youtu.be/lsOoTF5TL0Y

As we get closer to GMDX's release (December 17th 2015) more videos will be released, which will focus on Weaponry, Level Design, Audio Design, RPG systems and more.

GMDX won moddb's Mod of the Year "Worldly Award" in 2014, and has accumulated very favorable reviews, which can be seen via GMDX's moddb page: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx

The mod has come a long way since then, so it should truly impress.

Further reading also at GMDX's website: http://genericname112.wix.com/gmdx

Aenra

I saw the thread pop back up and you know what i thought, lol.. "he's back!" :)

Aenra

(off topic i know. Sorry)

CyberP if your vanity brings you here to see how we comment on this..
Once GMDX is done..start a GMUU..please fucking do, lol

I know Ultima Underworld is one of your three, so..you really should..really :)

Ash

Arcane
The videos embedded:

Part 1: Artificial Intelligence:

Part 2: Player-controlled Mechanics:

Part 3: Simulated Systems and Effects:

There will be 8 parts minimum.

CyberP if your vanity brings you here to see how we comment on this..
Once GMDX is done..start a GMUU..please fucking do, lol

That could very well be a possibility for someone in the near future. Ultima Underworld remake in Unity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSwsBD24-Vc

I'd love to do a Give Me Underworld/Arx/SystemShock/VTM:B, or even my own Immersive Sim, but circumstance dictates that it is not to be.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Speaking about UU/Arx - I found that Arx: End of the Sun is still ongoing in production, just p.slow.
Adding stuff and fix+polishing. Plus - as The Dark Mod - they bailed out Doom3 engine requirement.
How about some cooperation?
:wink:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
For more drama to read of course.
On the other hand - better not sacrificing good stuff/titles...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom