Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Dev_Anj

Learned
sullynathan: No, they don't work together. It would be a lot of work to get them working together, and it would have little benefit for most players.

If you just want a graphical update, get this instead: http://www.moddb.com/games/deus-ex/downloads/deus-ex-total-graphic-overhaul . I personally find that HDTP+New Vision make the game look good enough, Revision brings in stylistic and design changes too to the levels, and I don't really like most of them.

Mr_Cyberpunk: Yeah, I'm noticing the same problem with the hacking skill. On one hand it was necessary to make Hacking at Master a good enough option to use the skill points on, but the way the game is structured hacking really seems to lose its utility towards the late game, as turrets are not that big a problem with thermoptic camo, good multitool skill, explosives, radar transparency or Dragon's Tooth at maximum strength from Low Tech and Combat Speed augs or Sniper Rifle at Master with some damage mods. Maybe allowing hacking to be done at range would be a better idea, as would allowing some more robots to be controlled through consoles too.

grimace: Yeah this is a glitch that occurs with some people, Ash is working on fixing it and a bunch of bugs now. Kind of inevitable especially with the lack of betatesters before release.

Mr_Cyberpunk

Novice
This glitch when I pick up an unconscious body makes me giggle. I lift the body and this rainbow box with words "DO NOT PLACE" appears in place. It disappears when I drop the body again.

Pretty sure that's a Vanilla bug.

Glad someone bothered to create this. I always hated having to install them separately. Hope you guys enjoy the Animated textures I did in HDTP (The Train Ticket Machine and All the Phones in the game). The original Deus Ex only had animated textures on level textures, this was the first time we'd done them to object textures with UVs... in hindsight though the way it was done is the least optimized way possible, too many drawcalls-- but because its only 512x512 it doesn't matter, especially on modern machines which have VRam out the wazoo.

Ash

Arcane
The original Deus Ex only had animated textures on level textures

False +M

Biocell, Plasma Rifle, flaming barrel and the Augmentation canister immediately come to mind. Still, you guys did add a lot of new animated stuff and believe me it is appreciated! I love both HDTP & NV despite their (few) flaws, they updated the game relatively faithfully and just make it that much nicer to look at. Plus I was able to use some of the assets to great effect: the gore and a number of other such effects were only possible with the better assets provided. If the HDTP team were still going I'd beg for certain new stuff, like a hand model for holding medkits, wine and such with the associated anims.

Can someone explain to me what the point is of the Computer skill perks

Trained Perk: Allows the computer worm to last twice as long. This is a good substitute for if you intend to not take the hacking skill any further...a little underwhelming but it is cheap to reflect that.

Advanced Perk: Medbots and repairbots are almost twice as effective. This is very useful as medbots and repairbots have limited restoration on higher difficulties. On lower difficulties this perk is pretty much redundant, but as far as I am concerned a lot of the systems are to some extent - realistic or hardcore is where it all has real meaning.

Master Perk: +30% credits per chit obtained. Good if you grab early on, not so good if you get it late in the game, but ultimately it does help you with shopping, especially as there is more stuff to buy in the mod. Also a little underwhelming, but Hacking skill was already very empowering as-is so I had to tread carefully.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
If the HDTP team were still going I'd beg for certain new stuff, like a hand model for holding medkits, wine and such with the associated anims

This is one of the things I've always wanted and would have been possible had GMDX been adequately supported.

grimace: Yeah this is a glitch that occurs with some people, Ash is working on fixing it and a bunch of bugs now. Kind of inevitable especially with the lack of betatesters before release.

Am I? As I said a couple of posts back I haven't touched the mod since release as my motivation has been killed. It has 1,600 downloads and greatly diminishing traffic/coverage. I could maybe accept this idiocy if I hadn't invested a lot into marketing (videos, website, updates) and there wasn't my future riding on it. That many downloads is as if I had released a fucking JC reskin mod, not a mega mod of logical design advancement.
This mod pushes one of the greatest, highly cherished games of all time to its potential, yet it is apparently irrelevant to the fans and press, and the original developers at that. Fuck it. Objectively poorly designed steam exclusive level design mods are where it's at.

Last edited:

Mr_Cyberpunk

Novice
Biocell, Plasma Rifle, flaming barrel and the Augmentation canister immediately come to mind.
They weren't animated like this though which is why it was so odd because we did it probably the worst way possible.... but it worked, we didn't do it the same way the original animated textures did, so it resulted in being able to do some pretty crazy things with the textures. It was only until New Vision that a lot of the limitations that were effecting those animated textures could be removed. You're kinda right about it but just realize those animations were vastly different from what Vanilla was doing... moreso in NV because the DX10 Wrapper removed all the limitations with regards to file size and resolution.

zowie

Literate
Thanks for the mod.

As a first timer to Deus Ex, I opted for a challenge and picked Realistic. Currently about half way through the game, picked up Master hacking at creation, then lockpicking since it seemed REALLY important. Pistol with laser sight seemed effective enough without any skill points. Took the GEP gun when it was offered and did not regret it- explosives seem very useful, but not sure if I will invest any points into it. On hardcore, probably would just to make sure the rocket actually hits its target. Probably trained heavy weapons would be sufficient here.

Decided to be the good guy and side with NSF, somehow killing Navarre without exploding the other guy on the plane. Navarre actually ate a rocket and lived, scary stuff. For a second playthrough would definitely be the bad guy. Wondering if I should play realistic for that instead of hardcore, since I am new to the series and don't want to be that masochistic. I have enjoyed saving, opening locks to see what's inside to see if it's worth it, exploring locations such as the underwater segments to see if it's worth investing points into athletics (so far I'd probably only bump it up to trained and leave it at that). Augmentations are an enigma to me. I can't seem to find any walkthrough/ review of which are the best ones to pick up for this mod. Would love to see a full playthrough by a competent LPer discussing his choices. Hacking seems essential, but that might just be because there are so many passwords/ codes in the game to find/ memorize. Perhaps the true hardcore player might be better off without investing ANY skillpoints into hacking. Not entirely sure ATM siphoning has helped me out too much- and a lot of the things on offer from NPCs seem a bit overpriced for their use. But that's exactly what I love about this game.

So, I'm a noob, but enjoying GMDX. Just wish somebody would LP the damn thing now.

Ash

Arcane
zowie said:
Decided to be the good guy and side with NSF, somehow killing Navarre without exploding the other guy on the plane. For a second playthrough would definitely be the bad guy.

You may be disappointed to discover that this isn't actually possible. However, NPCs are highly reactive to the player's choices/actions and you'll get a lot of differing dialogue on a second playthrough should you do things differently, which is cool.

Wondering if I should play realistic for that instead of hardcore, since I am new to the series and don't want to be that masochistic.

You're probably better off sticking with realistic for now, unless you thrive off of a challenge and miss the good ol' days.

Augmentations are an enigma to me. I can't seem to find any walkthrough/ review of which are the best ones to pick up for this mod.

The idea is for there to not be a "best". I went to great lengths to balance them and make them more fleshed-out and enjoyable, but despite my efforts regeneration is still arguably the god from the machine aug. Other than that though all are tough choices and it is best to pick the one that'd suit your playstyle more.

Would love to see a full playthrough by a competent LPer discussing his choices.

As would I.

Hacking seems essential, but that might just be because there are so many passwords/ codes in the game to find/ memorize.

Your datavault saves notes you discover, so you can refer to it when it is time to input passwords. You can also highlight the relevant text and ctrl + c to copy it, then ctrl + v paste it into the computer interface which saves having to remember both the username and password (vanilla feature).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The idea is for there to not be a "best". I went to great lengths to balance them and make them more fleshed-out and enjoyable, but despite my efforts regeneration is still arguably the god from the machine aug. Other than that though all are tough choices and it is best to pick the one that'd suit your playstyle more.
From playing v7 I'd say that regeneration is now not very useful in a fight (its decent when maxed) but its essential if you, like me, find yourself constantly running low on medpacks. It's against energy shield right? Could do a really evil balancing change here and make it regen vs recirculator and energy shield vs [heart icon].

Making it a choice of medpack vs biocell efficiency has some aesthetic value :M

Ash

Arcane
It's against energy shield right? Could do a really evil balancing change here and make it regen vs recirculator and energy shield vs [heart icon].

Would result in the player being able to have both Energy Shield and Regeneration by Hong Kong. There's three torso slots and you can have any torso augs you want in those slots. That's energy shield, regeneration, recirculator, synthetic heart, environ resistance and aqualung. Most people don't realize you can mix and match some augs because naturally we install an aug as we get it, but if you don't bother installing aqualung/environ resistance for example you can have some other torso aug in its place, if you wait long enough.

Ash

Arcane
Absolutely. Energy Shield is passive and provides a 80% damage reduction vs explosions, fire, EMP and electricity.

Bold = GMDX buffs. It was improved to be a worthy contender to regeneration (though regen is still arguably better), and you can only have both if you wait 'till area 51 (same as vanilla in that regard), which isn't really worth it. We don't want the player having both these augs as it would be too easy.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Absolutely. Energy Shield is passive and provides a 80% damage reduction vs explosions, fire, EMP and electricity.

Bold = GMDX buffs. It was improved to be a worthy contender to regeneration (though regen is still arguably better), and you can only have both if you wait 'till area 51 (same as vanilla in that regard), which isn't really worth it. We don't want the player having both these augs as it would be too easy.
I completely forgot that.

80% passive damage reduction against all that is insane. Maxed level bullet resistance is what, 70% active? Take both and you are one indestructible JC.

Will def get Energy Shield next playthru.

Ash

Arcane
Will def get Energy Shield next playthru.

It will save your life on numerous occasions, and your bioenergy from EMP attacks and such, but Regeneration is still arguably better. The most common damage you potentially face is bullets which energy shield does nothing for, but your playstyle holds some influence too.

zowie

Literate
Am I doing something wrong for the 'A new dark age' ending? I can't seem to get the 3 injection switches to open up in the reactor lab. I have flipped the coolant flush in sector 4, then returned to sector 3 reactor lab, flipped both switches on the reactors to red, got the audio message trying to stop me from blowing the place up, but the 3 panels on the wall by the engineer are still closed? Can get the other endings fine, it's just this one.

gqw

Barely Literate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pRDRCorx14

Maybe you could follow some of the guidelines that TB has in this video and send him a link. DX is supposedly one of his favorite games. I can't see how he wouldn't like your mod. Maybe you are not a fan of him, I'm ambivalent towards the guy myself, either way though he could give your stuff exposure. Just a thought.

zowie

Literate
I think hardcore mode should not have modular options via Advanced options. Everything should be turned on by default, to give a genuine hardcore setting for everyone. Otherwise, it's like having a difficulty slider that you can change on the fly, which I never liked in games.

Loving hardcore mode. I suck at it, just got shot in the heart instant-death. Brings back the feeling of the old days. Perhaps there could be a sense of achievement for beating hardcore. In Goldeneye, Perfect Dark etc there were cheats unlocked for doing certain things within a time limit. Just a suggestion, not sure it would work with Deus Ex.

gqw

Barely Literate
I think hardcore mode should not have modular options via Advanced options. Everything should be turned on by default, to give a genuine hardcore setting for everyone. Otherwise, it's like having a difficulty slider that you can change on the fly, which I never liked in games.
Reading through some of the thread I think you would have seen this has been a point of contention for Ash. Some players were complaining of too much difficulty in hardcore. So that was his attempt, I believe, to cater to both sides.

zowie

Literate
Reading through some of the thread I think you would have seen this has been a point of contention for Ash. Some players were complaining of too much difficulty in hardcore. So that was his attempt, I believe, to cater to both sides.

I saw those comments but couldn't understand why people would want to make such things modular. IMO Ash should stand firm to his original conceptions, since I think he is one of the few gamers out there who 'gets it' when it comes to less features really is more.

zowie

Literate
On Liberty Island, I tried luring the patrol bot back to UNATCO HQ and the UNACTO sentry didn't attack it but decided to turn aggressive against me -.-
Is there something wrong with how allies/ factions are perceived?

Dev_Anj

Learned
, but I've had too many players that do not like to be intellectually engaged in gameplay whining

Speaking of which, I found another rant on Steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/6910/discussions/0/451850213945015919/#c451850213946534007

Could barely see let alone read sub-titles or HUD, found myself having to play in stealth mode as ammo wasn't (that I could see) exactly in abundance, which left me, unless I really missed something, having to face Castle Clinton virtually unarmed and with limited options as to which approach I might be able to take.

Never got quite that far. Reached North Pier, spoke to the guy I was supposed to, then pushed the TNT crate into the water above the sunken ship with the crates. Stood back, blew the hold open, quickly dived in, crowbar at the ready, reached the ship, opened the crates, and as I was heading back out was enveloped in some 'swirling mist'. After a few minutes the menu appeared. I'd somehow died in the brief period it took to get the contents of the crates.

Others may be able to answer your questions but I didn't like it, saw no need for it, and never having been bumped off in either the original or Revision just getting the contents of the crates decided to go back to either the original or Revision (which, apparently, is incompatible with GMDX).

So this guy quit because he couldn't handle RPG systems actually having value and not being hilariously broken ala the original. I guess you need to add a super easy mode to get people to play the mod.

Ash

Arcane
So this guy quit because he couldn't handle RPG systems actually having value and not being hilariously broken ala the original. I guess you need to add a super easy mode to get people to play the mod.

Pretty much. I did miss out the RPG systems being directly influenced by the difficulty scaling except for the detonation timer of proximity mines. It would have been wise to include swimming, lockpicking etc too, setting them back to broken vanilla values for easy difficulty, maybe normal too.

I saw those comments but couldn't understand why people would want to make such things modular. IMO Ash should stand firm to his original conceptions, since I think he is one of the few gamers out there who 'gets it' when it comes to less features really is more.

Most of those options are so that people can have elements of hardcore mode in other difficulty modes. Most aspects of hardcore mode are forced on by default and cannot be disabled should you choose hardcore when beginning a new game. There's only three or four difficulty related options that can be added on top of hardcore mode, and some are more down to personal preference.

There's no reward for beating hardcore mode beyond personal satisfaction. It isn't even that hard by some old school classic's standards. There's so many options in Deus Ex so therefore so many ways to outwit your foes.

Last edited:

Cassar

Savant
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1167401

The dumbest forum on the interwebz is asking if Deus Ex is still the best game of all time. And if it's on par with other masterpieces like Fallout 3 or 4. Or Red Faction 1 and Mirror's Edge. Then a post came that said Deus Ex and Metroid Prime are equally significant and i had to stop. I lose life years every time the internet says Metroid Prime is good. If someone has an account there he should point those sorry fucks to Ash's mod. Some of those mouthbreaders said, out loud, that the game is jank, deffective mechanically, poorly executed. I can't take it anymore.

Ash

Arcane
The dumbest forum on the interwebz is asking if Deus Ex is still the best game of all time. And if it's on par with other masterpieces like Fallout 3 or 4. Or Red Faction 1 and Mirror's Edge. Then a post came that said Deus Ex and Metroid Prime are equally significant and i had to stop. I lose life years every time the internet says Metroid Prime is good. If someone has an account there he should point those sorry fucks to Ash's mod. Some of those mouthbreaders said, out loud, that the game is jank, deffective mechanically, poorly executed. I can't take it anymore.

The internet does take its toll sometimes :)

I tried Metriod Prime but the forced lock-on auto aim in a FPS forced me to stop. Never seen that before. I know it's meant to be a great platformer and puzzler too and I didn't mind the lock-on aim in Tomb Raider but TR was from before the time of analog sticks as standard and mouselook had only just come onto the scene. Metriod Prime was from 2003 or so. No excuse for having the game play for you in one of its primary forms of gameplay.

Edit: Oh damn I went and read the thread.

Why yes, yes it is. It's a real shame nobody has managed to match what Deus Ex did at the time, let alone build upon it

*Raises hand in the air* :)

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pRDRCorx14

Maybe you could follow some of the guidelines that TB has in this video and send him a link. DX is supposedly one of his favorite games. I can't see how he wouldn't like your mod. Maybe you are not a fan of him, I'm ambivalent towards the guy myself, either way though he could give your stuff exposure. Just a thought.

Ah, thanks for the suggestion. Well, I can't see how many people have missed the mod, including the non-youtube gaming press, but I'll give him a try.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom