Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Ash

Arcane
Been very disappointed with the turnout for this, but true incline is esoteric, life's a bitch and all that...anyhow, I discovered this additional press article today which was a nice read:

GMDX mod brings ‘Deus Ex’ into the 21st century

If I can find it in me to I will put out a minor bug patch, Russian translation as well as source code release.

grimace

Arcane
Deus Ex fans always return to Deux Ex. Point them towards GMDX Mod and they will rejoice.

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
I can't believe I had to discover the codex in order to find this lost gem of a mod. I haven't read the web page for the mod, I'll most certainly do it but I want to know, does this mod restore cut content from the original game? I'm talking about the hidden quest smuggler gives you to save his friend.

Arch-Vile

Learned
I can't believe I had to discover the codex in order to find this lost gem of a mod. I haven't read the web page for the mod, I'll most certainly do it but I want to know, does this mod restore cut content from the original game? I'm talking about the hidden quest smuggler gives you to save his friend.

Yeah, it does. At least, the quest you're talking about is restored in GMDX.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

That quest is in vanilla DX, he's probably talking about Ford Schick's third appearance in Smuggler's (IIRC it's at the last time you visit Hell's Kitchen) which didn't occur in the original game, either due to a bug, or because it was cut for some reason. Schick says some interesting stuff about JC's DNA and gives him an upgrade canister. Shifter had it restored, I don't know if GMDX has it too.

Arch-Vile

Learned

That quest is in vanilla DX, he's probably talking about Ford Schick's third appearance in Smuggler's (IIRC it's at the last time you visit Hell's Kitchen) which didn't occur in the original game, either due to a bug, or because it was cut for some reason. Schick says some interesting stuff about JC's DNA and gives him an upgrade canister. Shifter had it restored, I don't know if GMDX has it too.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say. With "restored", I meant that Schick appears where he has to appear (the three times), sorry if I didn't express myself properly.

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
Sorry guys, I didn't remember correctly, yes, the third appearance, when he gives you the augmentation canister if I remembre correctly.

Been very disappointed with the turnout for this, but true incline is esoteric, life's a bitch and all that...

Don't feel bad, man. Deus Ex is an amazing shell of a game, a cracked gem that is impossible for someone like me to enjoy with its retarded vanilla AI, and you created something that completed it and turned it into the Diamond that it should have been, and with GMDX, its other brilliant facets are allowed to shine through. You will never get the recognition for it like say that guy who created Angry Birds, or the other guy who created that jewelry/candy game that monetizes itself, or the money, but unlike the manure they made, you've contributed to something beautiful, and that is its own reward.

:bro:

Ash

Arcane
Unfortunately that's not enough. I see no reason to produce further incline of any sort when the free offer of high quality logical design incline that is so rare these days is met with 2,500 fucking downloads.
I too will have to become a manure producer now as it is clear there is no demand for real incline.

Cassar

Savant
Make it for me personally then. I downloaded and played this. If you make another, with even more ideas and content that flow naturally from the original design, i'll download that too.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Well, Ash, I doubt that some people are willing to take you seriously after a spree of hawkflyaway-style shitposting, but I'll still try this mod once I'm done fixing my gaming rig.
Also, I think you're either overestimating the size of 'actual' Deus Ex fanbase or you need to try to promote this mod a little bit harder.
No offence, brah.

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
Make it for me personally then. I downloaded and played this. If you make another, with even more ideas and content that flow naturally from the original design, i'll download that too.
Yeah, without paying a dime I guess. The fuck are you talking about? He's not complaining because of downloads but because he cannot make any profit from his excellent work. That's it, because people here are too busy buying fallout 4 just to ''see how much it sucks'' or ''for the sake of scientific research on decline''. Yeah, 'cause this is the codex baby.

Ash

Arcane
Well, Ash, I doubt that some people are willing to take you seriously after a spree of hawkflyaway-style shitposting

The consideration that I've produced game design mastery is overridden by the fact that I failed to play the roles of either reserved professional or neckbeard charmer. Don't worry, that lesson has been learnt for when I attempt to go pro. Sheep herding is more important than the quality of the product these days.

Cassar

Savant
Yeah, without paying a dime I guess. The fuck are you talking about?

Joking ?

Money? He doesn't like that he worked years on this mod and when he finally launched it he felt as if nobody gave a fuck. Thing is, it's too early. He needs to check the traffic and interest after at least a year, to see how stuff has moved in the meantime. Second, it's a reallly really old ass game. 16 years in gaming time is like from the stone age. I mean, for a lot of gamers that start college right now Crysis is a game from when they were wetting the bed. Deus Ex is a game from when they were sucking tit. The mod only really serves people born in the 70's and 80's. Pretty old fucks right now. And even those, they need to be really hardcore fans i'm thinking, to replay the game probably for the hundredth time with this mod. Third, with little to no marketing and press coverage, most people don't even know that it exists. So they must stumble across it by accident.

Fourth, a lot of today gamers really can't deal with old graphics. I thought in my mind that its mostly a half hour adjustment period for a new gamer when playing older games. Then i saw different forum threads questioning people about old graphics and how they feel. An eye opener, because most people today simply can't deal with old graphics. I don't understand why, but thats how it is.

And last, this is one of the most famous, influential and revered PC games. Console people generaly hate us and our games. They like to pretend they don't exist, they try to diminish or lessen PC games at every turn or ask for ps4 ports, no mather how old or impossible it would be due to M/KB design or other stuff.

Best mindset for this is to just make the mod because you like it, you want to. Because you feel such a mod should exist in the world. That would be enough for me

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Well, Ash, I doubt that some people are willing to take you seriously after a spree of hawkflyaway-style shitposting

The consideration that I've produced game design mastery is overridden by the fact that I failed to play the roles of either reserved professional or neckbeard charmer. Don't worry, that lesson has been learnt for when I attempt to go pro. Sheep herding is more important than the quality of the product these days.
If the mountain won't come to Muhammad, Muhammad must go to the mountain. Quit acting like a depressed teenage faggot and get back to promotion and fixes, 2.5k downloads means there is at least some interest in your mod.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands

Give it a rest, egotist. You found hundreds of hours to spend deciphering and tweaking a game that was already legendary. Good changes mostly, but really. Your feat is as more dependent on the abundant free time you seem to have than it is your 'design mastery'. You've got a lot to learn padawan.

Ash

Arcane
Warren Spector took an egotistical stance in his work too.

"One of my goals for Deus Ex was - and I used to think about it this way - 'I want to shame developers; I want to shame my peers and force them to make different kinds of games'".

It goes without saying that to create something this extensive you need to invest a lot of time. I invested a lot of time, which is partly why I'm annoyed. The result is one of the finest FP gaming experiences one could ever experience, it makes no sense that this is not desired.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
You had visions of grandeur, which drives many neophytes to take on modding projects to learn some stuff on the path to certain greater glory.

Only the truly immature let a little learning and experience colour their world view so wholly.

What should be humility and thirst turns into self-aggrandizing delusions; unheralded masterwork, genius unrecognised by the undeserving - the finest single person experience possible, prodigiously molded with gifts equal to giants of the industry, and yet better.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Come baaaaaaack.

*EDIT* You edited the post above this to remove the parallels between your genius and Spector's. Good.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Only the truly immature let a little learning and experience colour their world view so wholly.

My world view is what, exactly? Please refrain from making such assumptions. I have every right to be disappointed. I didn't create marketing videos, a website, moddb page, post frequent updates and such because I felt like it.
I learnt that logical, demanding, forward-thinking design is not in demand and marketing is everything. I learnt that my future is not down the path I want it to be as a result of this. All I can do is make games I don't want to make. I'm guessing there are many others that feel the same way given the current state of the industry.

What should be humility and thirst turns into self-aggrandizing delusions

You don't get to say what my perspective should be as you haven't walked in my shoes. My thirst is still there but it feels hopeless to even try.
And there are no delusions here, by the way. This is logical design incline that is hard to come by, built on top of an already legendary game. This is how it's done, and you'll find nothing else like it.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
If the mountain won't come to Muhammad, Muhammad must go to the mountain. Quit acting like a depressed teenage faggot and get back to promotion and fixes, 2.5k downloads means there is at least some interest in your mod.

I should do more? I've already been to the fucking mountain. I went above and beyond. There was nothing there unfortunately. And so Mohammad then settles at a nearby town, sets up shop at the bazaar, and spends the rest of his days selling shit.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
I explained your world view, which by the way right now is pretty fucked up. If you don't see it I guess you will have to learn the hard way. Here are some pearls for you from someone who was in your shoes 25 years ago.

1) You learned a ton and through the project and gained confidence. Let that be your reward.
2) Modding a 20 year old game should never be viewed as a path to glory. I am surprised you got 2500 downloads you probably covered anyone who gives a fuck about Deus Ex.
3) No established professional spends time modding games. You are 5-10 years too inexperienced to enter the Prima Donna phase and yet you claim design mastery.
4) Looking at someone else's original work and deciding in a vacuum 20 years removed what should have been done better is piss easy. Fiddling with game files to adjust someone else's systems it cool and appreciated by the 2500, but you don't know the history or the climate which leads to project decisions and so the smugness really is disrespectful.
5) Somewhere along the line you traded spirit of discovery, learning and personal accomplishment for expectations of widespread recognition and appreciation. Typical modder trap.
6) Many modders go through what you are going through right now and either decide to give it up in bitterness, carry on modding with a renewed view as a hobby or decide to sink their time into professional pursuits
7) I suppose now the indie route gives you an opportunity to produce your own original game and perhaps make a go of it as a game developer. Hopefully once you produce a game, if some kid decides to mod it and apply their design mastery to it you will be understanding of their views, having been there yourself years earlier.

Dev_Anj

Learned
Hey Ash.

I've been following your mod for a while, and to be honest, a gameplay centric mod for Deus Ex by the year 2011 is obviously not going to be appealing to a huge majority of people, be it fans of the original or people wanting to start the game with some mods. That's because more often than not they demand for new graphics for old games rather than gameplay modifications.

You may be depressed because you saw Revision get a lot of press four months ago and a average of 100000 downloads, but here's the trick they did. They basically focused a lot on the graphical side, made their promotional text sound like it was going to be a major overhaul of the original, and catered to the audience who wanted a Deus Ex remake, which seems to be pretty large in recent times. All of this made for a winning combination, and it helped them to get lot of attention for a short while.

Now obviously you can't go down that path since another fan made remake is not going to be so appealing after the first strike. What I can suggest you to do though is to try and make a version of the mod where the only thing that's put is the redone levels. Focus more on the graphical aspects and make all the levels look really good without significantly changing the core layout. Market this as a conservative yet noticeable update to Deus Ex's levels. Preferably also make it a mod of its own rather than as a part of GMDX.

Also Dr. Sbaitso is right. You can't expect for glory or fame by modding a 15+ years old game. The best you can hope for is Nihilum level download numbers by making a great total conversion, but that's going to take a long time obviously. I would suggest if you want to go down this route to start up indie gaming side by side. Remember never to expect too much.

Ash

Arcane
Also Dr. Sbaitso is right. You can't expect for glory or fame by modding a 15+ years old game.

I haven't actually mentioned I wanted glory or fame. I'd rather not have people worship and stalk me like mindless drones.

Here's just a small sample of where I'm at:

1) I wanted numbers that don't represent irrelevancy. 10,000 downloads or 200,000, it wouldn't be much of a difference to me. 2,500 on the other hand means people don't give a shit. It's irrelevant to them. Either massive incline is irrelevant, or good marketing truly is everything. It sends messages that mean something. Something bad.
2) I expected to be able to see people enjoying my work - talking about it and even playing it (videos). That even this simple joy is unattainable is a joke.
3) I wanted to see that incline was in just enough demand to be viable to produce in an indie career.
4) I put a lot of effort in marketing. Exhibit A, B and C for starters. I did the hard work and didn't get paid. Shit happens, I'm just venting.

@Dr. Sbaitso: cut out the assumptions and condescending bullshit. You do not know of my experience, my desires and my actual situation. I will say though that I have nothing but respect for the original, it is one of the most intelligently-designed, uncompromising and rewarding games to date. To take pride in having improved it is nothing to be ashamed of.

My future is in mobile games, or maybe following indie design trends, or if I'm extra lucky working as a grunt for a AAA studio contributing to everyone's favorite movie game or walking simulator, whatever is actuallyviable for me. Real incline on this level is clearly not viable and I think that saddens me the most.

Ultimately, home entertainment doesn't get much better than this. As Porky Paladin said I'll just have to be contempt in knowing that I contributed to, and made something special. It's essentially Deus Ex v1.5 in many respects, and Deus Ex is widely agreed to be one of the greatest games of all time.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Dude I am simply mirroring what I see but I get that you don't like it. I played and liked v7 of your mod so I am not just trying to be a prick and actually I wouldn't even bother responding if I didn't see redeeming qualities in you but you do get in your own way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom